Who should be DCI's target audience?

It's part of the mix of things DCI is doing. Not the only part, but it is A part. I still have not gotten an answer as to WHAT people think DCI can do for legacy fans, marketing-wise.

That's because any effective marketing idea will work for legacy fans. Well, with one exception....changing drum corps to more closely resemble marching band.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the problem here comes down to what fans think of the shows. and despite all the PR that kids adore what they see, I've been surrounded by many band kids over the years in the stands that made fun of what they saw. in fact, a direct quite from last year in Allentown when a big name was on the field:

"wow...this show is so lame. I've seen at least 3 bands do this theme before"

this same kid, the target audience, also loved my remark to a friend that "the two shows with the best recations all weekend were the shows that are most old school." His reply: "yeah, doing it the old way got the fans up...I wish bands did shows like that"

And I (and others) can attest that there are plenty of kids that do adore what they see, and think that anything pre-mid90's is boring, lame and unable to hold their interest. We're talking about personal opinions, which are all over the spectrum, and for every person you say doesn't like modern show designs, I can quote another one in the same age bracket who does.

That's because any effective marketing idea will work for legacy fans. Well, with one exception....changing drum corps to more closely resemble marching band.

Ironic point of contention: the majority of corps directors and show designers (i.e. the ones who make the rules) are legacy fans of the activity. They are the ones who marched in the 70's or early 80's (or earlier). It's not like the activity is run by 25 year olds who have no frame of reference to the history of the activity. Quite the opposite, the activity is being steered and shaped by people who were part of what many critics consider the golden age of drum corps design. Do you think that's just a wacky coincidence, and all of these people have completely forgotten/stopped caring about what the activity that THEY shaped in the 70's/80's is no longer applicable to modern drum corps?

Or maybe they actually believe that what they are doing is not only the evolution of the marching arts (and to be honest, I think WGI is FAR out in front of innovation than DCI, both Guard and Percussion), but staying true to the real values of the activity.

I'd urge ANYONE who doesn't think the current crop of directors/designers don't have a grasp on the history or values of the activity to drop an e-mail to a corps director. I've found Hoppy, Dave Gibbs, Fiedler, etc. to be pretty forthcoming and honest discussing their views of the activity. Much like myself, they have a deep appreciation for the designs of the 70/s/80's (which is when the above directors marched), and have fond memories and things to say about the past. Heck, I was up late last night and watched some old drum corps shows for fun; none of the videos I watched on Fan Network were more current than 1993. But the directors above also have enthusiasm for modern show design, realize that all things change, and want to push the envelope and do innovative and different things.

To highschoolers: what, specifically, attracted you to DCI? What do you think could be done to attract more of your peers to DCI?

The volume and degree of excellence. Also being all brass which was different and cool.

I'm not impressed with synths, neither are most young people I know who pay attention to the activity.

true. but I think with older fans...like above 30...the shows are a lot of the consternation fans have with DCI

Well, that's their problem, IMO. There are all sorts of types of shows out there, using a wide array of music. If a legacy fan can't find a number of shows to like, I don't know what else to say, but 'good bye'. I mean, last year there was Gershwin, Copland, Bernstein...all sorts of stuff, plus some concert band literature and other types of popular music. I'm sorry, I just can't feel sorry for someone who fails to find some shows to enjoy among the large variety presented.

I mentioned it before in one of my posts-for me, what drew my to drum corps and kept me here is the sound...it's a unique sound. You can hear the same music performed by a professional symphony orchestra, and yes, it's beautiful and well-played...but it's missing "the sound" that drum corps gives it. Couple that with a well choreographed drill and guard that truly "tells the story" of the shows theme, and to me, THAT'S drum corps. DCI needs to get back to drum corps...stop trying to be band.

Drum corps is, and really always has been, "marching band".

We already have bands, some very good ones from what I understand (I honestly don't follow bands) and for those who enjoy that, the bands have shows and championships and other ways to showcase themselves to their fans. To me, drum corps isn't amps and electronics and synths-it dilutes and in some cases overpowers "the sound". These topics have been debated in these forums endlessly and will continue to be...whether we keep them or whether we remove them and revert back to drum corps "unplugged", the debate will continue because each side has it's supporters and detractors.

DCI drum corps is whatever those in charge decide it will be. People said, in letter to the editor of DCN, that it wasn't drum corps when a contra bass was added. Legacy fans of 1976 said that what Bayonne did in 1976 was not 'drum corps' when they donned the banana unis, yet today they are viewed properly as one of the great corps of all times. Legacy fans said that Madison, Cavies and Cadets of 1971 was not 'drum corps' when they played themed shows, and we (Garfield) even passed out a libretto, a decade prior to Regiment.

Some "legacy" fans have refused to accept the additions, and they have left. Others (like myself) are hanging on by a thread...if woodwinds make it to the judged portion of DCI, I will reluctantly bid them goodbye and limit myself to DCA, alumni and mini-corps. Others, such as MikeD, have and are embracing the changes and will continue their support for the activity. The only thing DCI can do if they are serious about keeping their "legacy" fans, is to find out what the majority of those "legacy" fans want. I'm sure if they went to FDCI, they could get a pretty good selection of long time members and find out where THEY would like to see the activity headed.

I hope DCI continues to do what it is doing. Shows are full of legacy fans as well as younger ones.

That sort of thing is hardly a marketing idea.

Well, Mike . . .

Anytime a performing ensemble tries so hard to improve Gershwin, to a point of changing what Gershwin actually provided, I always feel a bit short-changed. Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough to understand the need to do that.

I also never paid to hear Keith Jarrett (a famous local boy).

:smile:

Well, Mike . . .

Anytime a performing ensemble tries so hard to improve Gershwin, to a point of changing what Gershwin actually provided, I always feel a bit short-changed. Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough to understand the need to do that.

I also never paid to hear Keith Jarrett (a famous local boy).

:smile:

Drum corps always changes the original in ways the composer might not like. I'd LIKE to see, say, Channel One done by the BD with a hot sax section...it would be much closer to the original.

I can appreciate your enthusiasm, Mike!

It's my opinion, unless drum corps music moves back to something closer to mainstream, it will have difficulty ever becoming an entertainment choice that appeals to as many folks as I believe it otherwise could.

I'm OK being wrong.