Marketing DCI

You really think the average person who knows nothing about drum corps just randomly finds themselves on youtube in front of a drum corps show video? I think that is insanely optimistic at best, and possibly foolish at worst. Bottom line is it violates copyright agreement. Period.

Out of curiosity, how do people who know nothing about DCI randomly coming across drum corps shows on youtube? That's like finding a needle in a haystack, I would think. People could just as easily post links to content on dci.org as they could youtube, and the same random newbies could stumble upon the legal content on Fan Network (i.e. DCI's website).

the 14 year old kid who saw 5 minutes of drum corps in their band class is not going to pay $70 to get more info.

wait DCA launched a commercial and DCI didn't?! And yea, the larger shows makes sense. Also, I don't know how high advertising costs can get on TV but i think advertising on the interent would be just as effective (and maybe cheaper? I have no idea).

-Can DCI Commission articles to be written about the activity in some popular magazines? Someone convince Time to make DCI a cover story! DCI and drum corps really do make good news spots or investigative reporting spotlights (something done on 20/20 or 60 minute or Dateline). There is plenty to talk about). People like hearing about things that they've never heard of. I mean, I saw a spot light on Cup Stacking so why not do one on drum corps?!

-A documentary is obviously something that can so easily be done. Corps already make documentaries ever year in their tour DVD. Why not sell the rights to VH1 or MTV. Make it into a tv show. (Tru-Life Drum Corps?!?!?!?!)

-Movie. When ever I tell my friends about marching band or drum corps they immedietly say... "like Drumline? that movie with nick Cannon!??" I'm like, "NO!! WAY!! NOT AT ALL!". What we need is a good freakin' movie about drum corps that's tagged at the end with a "based on a true story" and have a 5 minute spot on DCI during the previews. Any ideas on a possible story line/script?!

yes DCA had one run in the Rochester Ny market before finals. It was well done....it's on youtube I think too. But tv ad time is pricey...not Super Bowl levels, but not cheap.

I have also wondered why no DCI press in places like USA Today, People, etc. I can't see a major network picking up the documentaries...makes you wish ABC still had after school specials

sometimes you have to spend money to make money

sometimes you have to spend money to make money

True, but I doubt that the investment in a PR firm would yield a substantial enough return to justify the money.

I also believe that VERY few people who go to the average ticket show walk up off the street and know little/nothing about the activity. The last show I went to (July of 2008), the audience was almost exclusively:

* friends of family of current marching members of a performing drum corps

* prospective members/ kids who had aspirations of marching somewhere/someday

* alumni

* band kids going because they like marching band and want to see 'Marching Bands on steroids (actual quote from one of my students that went to the show)'

* parents/family/friends accompanying their drum corps fan

I truly believe we are kidding ourselves that drum corps is more than a niche of a niche, and I think it's wise of DCI to invest their advertising and marketing appropriately.

perc2100,

The five segments you (correctly) list pretty much come with the territory. They're a given. No new DCI investment makes sense unless it attracts a sixth, or seventh, segment. Why try to purchase what you already have?

perc2100,

The five segments you (correctly) list pretty much come with the territory. They're a given. No new DCI investment makes sense unless it attracts a sixth, or seventh, segment. Why try to purchase what you already have?

What do you mean by purchase? If you're talking DCI marketing, I think they need to continue to market to their core audience: for example, for every person in my band program that knows/appreciates DCI, there are several more who don't. I think that DCI can continue to attract more of their core audience, and attempt to do so by sponsoring clinics through out the summer with their marquee corps, continue to strengthen their web presence by expanding their website and Fan Network, etc. When they started Fan Network they didn't "gain" a new fan when I subscribed, but they got more of my money than they did previously, got me MORE into the activity thus getting me at shows buying corps merchandise, etc.

There are ways to expand your profits/fan base while continuing to build upon your already built-in market. Conversely, it's VERY easy for DCI to lose money trying to "blindly" advertise to newbies who more than likely won't spend money on DCI anyway.

Both expenditures are wise. A successful investment in "what could be" can pay more dividends, however. This, I think, is what DCI is trying to do with its aggressive morph into something quite different from what it's been. It would seem, someone at DCI has determined the "usual crowd" is not enough if the organization is to move forward. I agree with them.

Both expenditures are wise. A successful investment in "what could be" can pay more dividends, however. This, I think, is what DCI is trying to do with its aggressive morph into something quite different from what it's been. It would seem, someone at DCI has determined the "usual crowd" is not enough if the organization is to move forward. I agree with them.

Yea, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that: any good company wants to expand their market share. I guess I was merely positing that DCI's main priority is expanding its fan base within the already established demographic/group that is probably 99% of its customers. For example, if I were in the drum manufacturing business I would of course market to drummers; flute players are musicians and broadly related to my target fan base, but the odds of attracting flute players who want to buy drums are slim to none. DCI should probably commit some funds in their marketing budget with the goal of attracting new fans; but to spend a large amount of the budget trying to find the needle in the haystack is not a good use of their available funds, IMO.