Drum Corps in General

Well first off I'd like to say that I want the snow to go away NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second of all, I am super excited for DCA this year. A lot of corps have excellent shows and things going on right now. Seems like the bar is raised ALREADY.

Also, to any corps thinking about not coming out this year (Not going to name anybody.) Try as hard as you can to keep the corps going. DCA is an amazing activity (Activity/Organization), and it doesn't matter if its the Reading Buccaneers or High Country Brass, any corps that don't go out will effect DCA in a big way. I don't want to see this activity fade! I know the economy is terrible for DCA, and its understandable. Some corps absolutely HAVE to fold, but in any case they should try to stay in the competition. Even if a Open Class corps had to drop to Class A, or a Class A corps drops to a parade corps. The corps is still there.

Anyway that is my thoughts right now....I am 15 years old and have been marching for 3 years with the Empire Statesmen. Drum corps has changed my life and has DEFINITELY changed my musical abilities. When I go to DCI and back, I want DCA to be alive and kickin, better than ever.

Obviously I can't stop anything from happening, but I thought I would throw this out here.

Good luck to all the corps during the 2010 season. I really think this is going to be another amazing year for DCA.

PS: I am fairly bored on a tuesday night at 8:19pm. It's still snowy outside (getting better) and I'm stuck inside. (Explains why I'm on here right now LOL)

Kris Bardin

Edited by HighBrass09

Anyway that is my thoughts right now....I am 15 years old and have been marching for 3 years with the Empire Statesmen. Drum corps has changed my life and has DEFINITELY changed my musical abilities. When I go to DCI and back, I want DCA to be alive and kickin, better than ever.

15 and third year with ES??? :devil::shutup: So much for the DCA is for olde phartes :devil:

Hell I didn't join my first Senior corps until I was 16..... :worthy:

Mid 50s in South Central PA right now Kris.... :blink:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

First, Kris mentioned still having snow... what wasn't said was that the Bardin family live in..... duh???? OSWEGO... go figure...

and while 15 isn't all that unusual... 12 was... but... when the whole family lives and breaths drum corps - that's what happens... and before anyone gets totally wrapped up in the youth movement being new, my first senior contest on the field was in 1959 and I was.... 13 and already had many years experience in a parade corps....

First, Kris mentioned still having snow... what wasn't said was that the Bardin family live in..... duh???? OSWEGO... go figure...

and while 15 isn't all that unusual... 12 was... but... when the whole family lives and breaths drum corps - that's what happens... and before anyone gets totally wrapped up in the youth movement being new, my first senior contest on the field was in 1959 and I was.... 13 and already had many years experience in a parade corps....

I was really an old phart! I joined the Hilton Crusaders in 1959 when I was 16. However, I had 2 full years of seasoning in the Summerville Shoremen Jr. Drum Corps [along with Bob Heinkel, Andy Schenkel, Paul Nash, Dick Thomas, Gerry Francis, Doc Worth, John Russi, Ron Groat, Jerry Stell and and Dave Hoffmier all of whom would become famous in later years].

I remember one show with the Crusaders in 1959 or 1960, when we almost couldn't field a corps because various high schools were having graduation that Saturday nite. Mr. B re-wrote our drill from 11 squads of 3 horns to 11 squads of 2 horns and we beat some pretty important bigger corps. [One of them had lots of grey in their uniforms!]

And with an American Legion membership card, right Tom? :shutup:

LOL, when Westshoremen got back on the field in 1974 we had so many minors that some people thought we were a Junior corps until they looked close :blink: . Scared the Hades out of corps management having so much youth but it was the only way to get enough warm bodies to be able to field a corps. Bunch of other corps (Buccs, Sunrisers, smaller corps) had younger members in the corps but we might have had the highest percentage for a few years.

I didn't join my first senior corps until I was 45! Still fun though!

I joined the Govies when I was 12. Got to spend more time with the family, who was also in the corps.

:tongue: family time

And with an American Legion membership card, right Tom? :tongue:

LOL, when Westshoremen got back on the field in 1974 we had so many minors that some people thought we were a Junior corps until they looked close :tongue: . Scared the Hades out of corps management having so much youth but it was the only way to get enough warm bodies to be able to field a corps. Bunch of other corps (Buccs, Sunrisers, smaller corps) had younger members in the corps but we might have had the highest percentage for a few years.

i still have the fake card i got. to funny.

I was really an old phart! I joined the Hilton Crusaders in 1959 when I was 16. However, I had 2 full years of seasoning in the Summerville Shoremen Jr. Drum Corps [along with Bob Heinkel, Andy Schenkel, Paul Nash, Dick Thomas, Gerry Francis, Doc Worth, John Russi, Ron Groat, Jerry Stell and and Dave Hoffmier all of whom would become famous in later years].

I remember one show with the Crusaders in 1959 or 1960, when we almost couldn't field a corps because various high schools were having graduation that Saturday nite. Mr. B re-wrote our drill from 11 squads of 3 horns to 11 squads of 2 horns and we beat some pretty important bigger corps. [One of them had lots of grey in their uniforms!]

great story gary. :tongue: i'd love to hear more. :tongue:

LOL, when Westshoremen got back on the field in 1974 we had so many minors that some people thought we were a Junior corps until they looked close :tongue: . Scared the Hades out of corps management having so much youth but it was the only way to get enough warm bodies to be able to field a corps. Bunch of other corps (Buccs, Sunrisers, smaller corps) had younger members in the corps but we might have had the highest percentage for a few years.

Just remembered that every year the under 21 set got the "No BEER!" speech from that Larry Hershman guy. My fifth year in corps I turned 21 just before we went to New Orleans for AL Championships. At least five BoD or staff members started giving me Hades for drinking until I told I was finally 21. Favoite response was "#### you HAVE been a member for a while haven't you?"

Ah yeah, first parade this weekend and first concert of 2010 end of the month. I'm ready too Kris....