What do YOU want DCI corps to play?

i could def see cadets playing carmina burana

or either vanguard or blue knights playing salvation is created

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm generally a fan of original movie soundtracks. So, maybe if a corps did any non-corny/ non-clique sountracks I'd be all over that.

(which is why I'm super excited to hear Blue Coats this season! Hans Zimmer FTW)

Edited by Rimba47

-A post was made before about Crown doing Belshazzar's Feast- Ditto.

But I am just as curious as everyone else is, in what pieces " A Second Chance" (or whatever the theme of their show this year), is going to include.

-Phantom doing more Tchaikivsky- particularly Capriccio Italian and Sleeping Beauty. Maybe even some Symphony #6. - On the contemporary classics side, music from the movie Atonement.

-Boston Crusaders dedicating an entire show to the music of Andrew of Lloyd Weber- playing some of his obscure stuff from some of his lesser known musicals, and then throwing "Dont Cry for Me Argentina" in there as the ballad.

Crossmen- I would like to see a chorale of Seasons of Love from Rent as a prelude to an Opener. Kind of like Happy Days was to Old Black Magic for BD in 88, and Someones There in 92.

SCV- I am really anticipating what they are doing this year. So I would say their Bartok pieces, this year.

Spirit- Opener of their show: Georgia.

Blue Devils-

Redo of their Don Ellis show in 93, but taking it up a level. Lots of notes in the ensemble, but still including the solists, duets, & trios as 93 had.

Edited by Dmlkmen

Would also love to see the corps do a throw back year: revisit an entire show from your past. Rearrange it (if you'd like) and you now have better equipment and (probably) better players, so let's see how you can do this material now.

For BD - 1976 would be my first choice, but I'd take anything from then to 1980.

For Phantom, how about 1978?

Let's hear 1980 SCV, complete with that awesome drum solo.

Crown, you weren't around then. How about you reach into someone else's repertoire for a show? 1984 Suncoast? 1980 27th Lancers? 1978 Bridgemen?

They'll never do this. But a girl can dream...

KS

I'd love to hear a LEROY ANDERSON show: DANCING SERENADE (in duple) TYPEWRITER SONG (combined percussion /brass features) SYNCOPATED CLOCK with a nice creative arrangment. Maybe something from the long format piece, (the title eludes me) he was RE working at the time of his passing. And there are a few other noteble works from this great composer that could be formated to drum corps.

This arranging task would be perfect in the hands of Jim Prime, Frank Dorittie, Larry Kershiner.

Mr Anderson, by his own admission, was shamelessly and pureposly "popish" so it would take the right person to co opt THE ARTIST AND THE DRUM CORPS. Any of the three men I mentioned and a few others, could do so with brilliance in my view.

Leroy Anderson's composition's are the ultimate in "Americana" and I could really see a corps like CADETS, MADISON or BLUECOATS, maybe MINNESOTA BRASS or READING doing this.

He was a BOSTON native, might be a nice idea for the BOSTON CRUSADERS.

Little side note: Asked about his marching band experience at MIT he was quoted as saying: My favorite part of marching band was DRILL PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO LOVE THAT!!!!

I'd love to hear this someday and BTW I am available to write the drill :thumbup:

Nice post, kudos to the originator stein

For BD - 1976 would be my first choice, but I'd take anything from then to 1980.

For Phantom, how about 1978?

Let's hear 1980 SCV, complete with that awesome drum solo.

Crown, you weren't around then. How about you reach into someone else's repertoire for a show? 1984 Suncoast? 1980 27th Lancers? 1978 Bridgemen?

They'll never do this. But a girl can dream...

KS

I would love to see Crown do Suncoast as long as they keep the bomb into peace sign more....

i would like to see any group play john williams stuff... seriously thats great stuff

i would like to see any group play john williams stuff... seriously thats great stuff

Yeah I could definitely use some more Williams other than Cadets 1995. That was a sweet show!

I would love to have top tier corps play music like Incredibles :D That'd be freaking epic.

I want to have Carolina Crown play jazz. Yes. Jazz.

XD