Ignorance hurts, help me

The Other Mike

Yea, 30+ years as a band director and I don't know.... :tongue:

The LARGE drums that have been used on the field......I think Cavies as well as others, Look to be at least 20" or larger and at least 30" deep and played like old toms with a sling..............just what are they called and who makes them ?

( I know it's goning to be something simple and I'll feel like a complete moron :tongue: )

Thanks in advance

Yea, 30+ years as a band director and I don't know.... :tongue:

The LARGE drums that have been used on the field......I think Cavies as well as others, Look to be at least 20" or larger and at least 30" deep and played like old toms with a sling..............just what are they called and who makes them ?

( I know it's goning to be something simple and I'll feel like a complete moron :tongue: )

Thanks in advance

Got an example??? The only thing that comes to mind is an old deep-shell rope-tensioned snare, but I think you'd recognize that.

A Brazilian surdo is probably the closest thing I can think of size-wise. They can be anywhere from 14" to around 26" across and are typically about 24" deep. I think the Blue Devils may have used surdos at the end of their percussion feature in 1992.

Single tenor drums (think snare drums without the snares across the bottom head) typically aren't that large, but I suppose they could be. Pearl's contemporary pipe band tenor drums are 12" deep and up to 18" across. Hosbilt makes tenor sizes up to 18" by 14" deep and they offer a "baritone" drum that's 20" by 14" deep. I think that's pretty close to the size of the drum the Cavaliers used at the beginning of Malcolm Arnold's Cornish Dance (Mvt 4) in 1992.

Edited by SkyDog

A Brazilian surdo is probably the closest thing I can think of size-wise. They can be anywhere from 14" to around 26" across and are typically about 24" deep. I think the Blue Devils may have used surdos at the end of their percussion feature in 1992.

Glassmen 93 also??

Suro is it.

Thanks to all.

No, I'm not buying any, it was just one of those things that has driven me nuts for a few years now.

Now I can dwell on something else to feel ignorant about. :tongue:

Ok, next stupid question.

The piece that is mounted to the old tim toms that allows the drums to be slid on / off the carrier or stands is called what, besides " That thing that holds the old tim toms on the carrier" ?

The Japanese drums (some of which are pretty darn big) are taiko drums. Kodo is a well-known taiko troupe from Japan.

As for the old parts "the other Mike" was asking about... There have been a number of different mounting systems, each with different parts holding them together. Some of them had clips on the individual drums that connected them to tabs or rails on a carrier. Some drum setups were bolted together using a "backbar" between the two biggest drums to connect to the carrier. There have been different backbar designs over the years, but the concept is still in use. HERE is a recent type of Pearl backbar on Steve Weiss Music's web site. Some recent backbars, like the linked Pearl backbar made by Randall May, have a hinge built-in. Most older backbars weren't hinged, but used "tilters" as a hinge to connect to carriers' j-bars. A pair of Dynasty snare tilters is pictured HERE (upside-down), again from Steve Weiss' web site.