Those Attending DCI Countdown 2010

Hi All,

So.....if you have been to the DCI Countdown in the past.....most likely you have experienced first hand (Or heard about) issues regarding the audio being way (And I mean WAY) to low. I have attended all of the Countdowns....and last year was barely tolerable. The sound was so low....that I could hear people munching on popcorn 3 rows away.....(Even during the loudest parts of the corps shows).

So.......get your email in to DCI to express concern about the Countdown volume issues.

Not exactly sure who we should address our emails to but......send them in.

We should all probably use the same Subject in our emails as well. If someone could suggest one that would be great.

Is that for real? This year would be my first time at the Countdown, but you can't listen to DCI with the volume down.

Drum corps was meant for the volume to be cranked way up. Do you know about the volume of the quarterfinals in theaters?

Not so sure an email campaign to DCI is needed. This is an individual theater issue. Plenty of people will tell you that the volume was great in their theaters, or that if it wasn't loud enough they talked to the manager of the theater.

Not so sure an email campaign to DCI is needed. This is an individual theater issue. Plenty of people will tell you that the volume was great in their theaters, or that if it wasn't loud enough they talked to the manager of the theater.

There was quite a mired of stories (If you look back). Many people reported that theater managers and staff stated they were unable to adjust the volume and that the feed was controlled by DCI. Others stated the volume was fixed....once they spoke with theater staff.

I really don't think it would hurt to give an extra heads up to DCI that there were a lot of theaters where fans were left with much less than expected audio to go with the video.

Edited by Triple Forte

There was quite a mired of stories (If you look back). Many people reported that theater managers and staff stated they were unable to adjust the volume and that the feed was controlled by DCI. Others stated the volume was fixed....once they spoke with theater staff.

I really don't think it would hurt to give an extra heads up to DCI that there were a lot of theaters where fans were let with much less than expected audio to go with the video.

DCI is very aware of the issues. No need to bombard them. I'm sure Bob Jacobs will post what DCI is doing to make sure the theater experience is optimized.

Each time I've been to the Countdown, the volume wasn't loud enough. So, I went to the front desk and asked them to turn it up. Each time, they turned it up.

It might be a better idea to just take the individual initiative to speak politely with the staff before the show starts and mention that drum corps people like the music loud. And then ask whom to talk to if there needs to be an adjustment made.

Better yet, ask if they would come to the theater showing room when the first corps starts, offering yourself to be at the door to let them know if the sound should be turned up.

The personal initiative prior to the show will result in better results, IMHO.

yeah you have to contact the theaters. DCI can ask/tell them what to do, but that doesn't mean they will

I think part of the problem is that the group that brings these things in to the theaters also does business lectures, conferences, meetings, and so on, as well as concerts. And if they leave the volume set for business conference levels, obviously, that's a train wreck for drum corps.

The way to present it to theater managers is: "The drum corps audience expects and wants DCI rock concert/action picture loud. If the subwoofers can't be heard one theater over through the walls, it's too soft."

It's never been a problem at my local theater, but other theaters seem to have issues every single time. Sometimes managers say it can't be fixed, that it comes in too soft from the satellites. We have another DCP member, Cardman, I believe, who has worked in theater management, and he says, BS, the problem is they're too lazy to go up and reset the equipment, but it can be done. Obviously, an usher, a ticket seller, a ticket taker is in no absolutely position in the theater to fix this. You need a manager or assistant manager.