Blue Rock

27th Lancers

Argonne Rebels

Troopers

Des Plaines Vanguard

CMCC Warriors

Kilties

Cavaliers

Would St. Rita's, Blue Rock and CMCC been more successful and stuck around longer?

Garfield and Rockford were both out of the top 12 in 1972. They still became more successful and stuck around longer.

Edited by HornsUp

*sigh*...missed finals by 0.1 with 1.8 in penalties! :thumbdown:

Oh man, what the heck were those penalties? That had to hurt.

I almost lost my life due to a penalty I committed at DCI prelims....but we made the show (12th) so here I stand.......

Oh man, what the heck were those penalties? That had to hurt.

I almost lost my life due to a penalty I committed at DCI prelims....but we made the show (12th) so here I stand.......

If I remember correctly it was either a trailing penalty built into the show or a timing penalty . 1.8 worth just like Mike said. Average age of the corps. was about 14-15 years old.Had a killer staff too.Bobby Hoffman , Pete and Jody Emmons,Mike Moxle, Don Angelica, Frank Levy,Fred Sanford to name some.

To this day don't I know why it was never corrected.

If I remember correctly it was either a trailing penalty built into the show or a timing penalty . 1.8 worth just like Mike said. Average age of the corps. was about 14-15 years old.Had a killer staff too.Bobby Hoffman , Pete and Jody Emmons,Mike Moxle, Don Angelica, Frank Levy,Fred Sanford to name some.

Wow, those are some heavyweight names...

I recall it being overtime. The staff added the reentry in the closer that kind of put us over the top, time-wise. I have the Haas video of an early season show, Blue Rock's home show, and an audio of DCI prelims...quite a different show, esp the closer.

The top 12 in 1972 consisted of.....

Anaheim Kingsmen

Blue Stars

St. Rita's Brassmen

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Rock

27th Lancers

Argonne Rebels

Troopers

Des Plaines Vanguard

CMCC Warriors

Kilties

Cavaliers

Would St. Rita's, Blue Rock and CMCC been more successful and stuck around longer?

Maybe, maybe not. DCI Finalist status has not necessarily been the ticket to a corps' longevity. Of the twelve 1972 finalists, seven are no longer extant as world class competitive groups; of those seven, five didn't make it past the 70's, at least as legitimate finalist contenders. Any number of corps have achieved finalist status for a year or two and then faded - Commodores, Purple Lancers, Finleyville, Dutch Boy, to name a few. A lot of factors besides competitive success can impact an organization's viability.

peace,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5