Oooooo...DCA here?

I wonder how many teacher's they've fired/put on a pay hold, and how many academic extracurricular programs they've cut in order to afford this? Sometimes administrators confuse me...

Some facts from the article:

*The stadium will seat 18,000. That's bigger than a lot of FCS COLLEGE stadiums. Picture the Berry Stadium in Houston, take the upper deck off the visitor stands and turn it into a horseshoe; that's what this place will look like.

*The stadium was part of a larger $120 million bond package passed in May 2009 that included nearly as much money for a state-of-the-art auditorium for performing arts;

*The town approved a bond package of $219 million in November 2008 that called for the building of two new elementary schools, the purchase of 45 school buses and improvements to many of the other elementary and middle schools in the district;

*The money for the project could only be used on capital expenses not general education;

*And, this is Texas, after all.

I was wondering the same thing when I read the article. Now one thing to consider is that the funding for this doesn't come from their general education budget (meaning staff salaries and supplies), but speaking as a teacher who's lost his own job due to budget cuts, it would look pretty shady if they were building this in the midst of staff layoffs or pay freezes/cuts.

But then I remember that education priorities in Texas are WAY different than they are in other parts of the country.

It's a community with money.

They have a large tax base and it is growing like crazy.

Texas has had some issues with this down economy but our lack of income tax, business friendly environment and reasonable climate has contributed to a pretty stable economy. Businesses are constantly relocating to north Texas or "Dallas" to those unfamilar with the area.

While many would initially view this as Texas schools being all about football - it's not entirely that. Yes, that plays in, but the district has money, they have successful soccer programs and well - they need about 1000 seats just to handle the marching band, drill team, and support staff! The football program has been real good for quite some time (one state title and a few near misses) and packs the stands at a reasonable pop for tickets.

I may sound like a shill for Allen - I am not - but those that do not live in the area or understand north Texas it can seem way out of whack. It's definitely eye popping, but it is certainly not at the exclusion of the educational needs that matter most.

The Allen HS marching band....if you look close...the people in the back stands are band members...the drill writer ran out of room on the field! :tongue:

AllenHS.jpg

There was a story on the news about a school in Texas that's spending $16,000,000 on a Football stadium (it's the money they save not teaching Science or History down there - just kidding you Longhorns - I spent a year in San Angelo - longest year of my long life).

they have a 600 piece marching band. I told people at my job - you can't fit that many people on the field and move them around. It looks like a subway platform in NYC with trombones and tubas.

It's a community with money.

They have a large tax base and it is growing like crazy.

Texas has had some issues with this down economy but our lack of income tax, business friendly environment and reasonable climate has contributed to a pretty stable economy. Businesses are constantly relocating to north Texas or "Dallas" to those unfamilar with the area.

While many would initially view this as Texas schools being all about football - it's not entirely that. Yes, that plays in, but the district has money, they have successful soccer programs and well - they need about 1000 seats just to handle the marching band, drill team, and support staff! The football program has been real good for quite some time (one state title and a few near misses) and packs the stands at a reasonable pop for tickets.

I may sound like a shill for Allen - I am not - but those that do not live in the area or understand north Texas it can seem way out of whack. It's definitely eye popping, but it is certainly not at the exclusion of the educational needs that matter most.

Wow. This band could easily be cut in half. one being a great competing band. The other being a B unit feeder band program for the younger students. Just a thought. : :tongue: