Best Indoor Event You Personally Attended

With the Serenade in Brass about to do its swan song, I got to thinking about what were the coolest indoor shows I'd been to, and what made it so?

I remember seeing the first performance by St. Andrew's Bridgemen at "The Evening With The Corps" - what year would that have been?

Or Walter Winkleman whipping a soprano bugle the length of the stage to the tap dancer in "Once In Love With Amy" at (again) The Evening With The Corps

I believe both of those were at Madison Square Garden but I guess it could have been Symphony Hall in Brooklyn.

One of my favorites was watching the Yankee Rebels at their show in Parkville MD doing the 25th Anniversary of the Requiem for an Era - they had movement, smoke, special effects, some terrific playing, and an intensity I've seen few times in the Alumni ranks.

Or Archie at the GAS in Upper Darby doing a tribute to Jack Reilly - another great moment.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rush- Moving Pictures tour, Fresno Ca, 1981

Queen+Paul Rodgers- Return of the Champions Tour, San Jose CA

Well, you did say "Best Indoor Event You Personally Attended", yeah? :tongue:

Edited by skajerk

[edit: double post]

Edited by skajerk

Rush- Moving Pictures tour, Fresno Ca, 1981

Queen+Paul Rodgers- Return of the Champions Tour, San Jose CA

Well, you did say "Best Indoor Event You Personally Attended", yeah? :tongue:

Good point: I caught Clapton's first show on his first tour when he came out of rehab in '74 in NY. That was good.

Buddy Rich at his club on 33rd St. Good too.

Gotta get up pretty early in the afternoon to get one past you!!!

Why not rock shows?

Isn't this a Drum Corps site???

Maybe not the best I've attended, but this was cool.....

My junior corps....Manville NJ Sacred Heart Crusaders..... performed at the "Afternoon with the Corps" show in Westchester County, NY, in the spring of 1974. The show was a judged "prelims" before the night show, the famed "Evening with the Corps" sponsored by the NY Skyliners.

Anyhow..... we won the afternoon show, and that gave us a performance slot at the night show.

It was nice to get a chance to share the stage that night with the "big boys."

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I don't remember the exact year, but IIRC it was mid to late 1990's, there was an indoor show held at Boston University, in the hockey arena. It was a one time shot, they were hoping to make it an annual event but for some reason there was never a second one (the first one was pretty sparsely attended, FWIW) but I found it to be very entertaining-especially when the drum major for Erie Thunderbirds put their soloist in the penalty box :tongue: .

The most exciting indoor shows in my memory were the Drumfests the Princemen used to run in mid April in the Boston Arena. I think the very first drum corps show I ever saw was in 1961 when Prince and Hawthorne played "Serenada" together. It was also the Spring debut for all the great Boston area junior corps. I can remember the anticipation when the 27th Lancers made their first appearance in competition in the late 60's.

February 1967, we participated in an indoor show at the Rochester War Memorial. It included, among others, Syracuse Brigadiers, Cabs, probably the Crusaders, and several junior corps from both the US and Canada, and the juniors competed as standstills, I believe. I think we did an indoor hockey-rink drill. It was a pretty cool show, and especially memorable because we were snowed in and had to spend the night in a downtown Rochester hotel.

Also, the Quebec winter Carnival known as 'Carnevalesque,' probably January or February of that same year. Performing two evening indoor drill shows, one after midnight, on a plywood-covered ice hockey rink with very enthusiastic Canadians was very unique.

Anybody else remember being there or in those shows?