Why did you choose the corps you marched with?

My junior corps I chose because some When I was in college I made some friends that had marched there and they said I should go back with them the next year. My first senior corps I joined because it was literally a 45 min drive from my house. My current one, I don't know why I joined. I guess I am just crazy because it is a 7 hour drive (I moved). It is going to be a blast though. I've never chased rings, just tasty beats.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose Crown because I was from Fort Mill and it was really the only feasible option travel/finance wise. I stayed because I loved it despite several offers to join higher-ranked corps at the time. I was happy and felt at home with Crown. I was also fortunate enough to experience the first few years of Crown as a finalist corps which was a pretty unique experience.

Edited by Cron

I didn't get into drum corps the normal way:

1. Got caught cutting school

2. Told to come after school to detention

3. Instead of cleaning chalk erasers I was handed a baritone bugle

4. Ended up marching that year (1966) with the Sparks D&B

5. Sparks turned into the Santa Clara Vanguard (1967)

6. Marched seven years ('66-'72)

Soooo glad I cut school that day!

:ph34r:

Edited by amadorj

I grew up with Drum Corps, both my parents marched and we went to shows, listened to records (yes...records, I'm old) of shows at home, etc.

The summer after I started playing trumpet in school, I started bugging my parents about joining a drum corps. As I was 10, I wasn't in a position to figure out much more than that. My parents made corps decisions for me and my siblings for the first three local corps' I was in. When that one folded, a bunch of friends were interested in heading to Bayonne and after MUCH persuading (I was 14 at the time, and my parents were not drum corps naive....Bayonne was a tough sell) our respective parents let a group of us march that year.

As far as Garfield, they had been my favorite corps (I loved the horn line, especially the mello parts) but I didn't think I could actually march there. A friend persuaded/bullied me in to going to a camp (thank you :) ) and no one was more surprised than me that I made the line :-) I was thrilled that I had the honor to march there till I aged out.

Peace,

CuriousMe