Crown's 2010 repertoire is posted on corpsreps.com

Hi all, haven't posted in a while, but been lurking throughout the off season. It's nice to see everyone poking fun as usual. Anyhow, excited about the Mahler just because it's such a big sounding piece. I'm probably most interested in the Khachaturian though, I think it'll be really interesting to hear how that translates to a complete brass arrangement. Anyhow, looks like it's gonna be a great season with a lot of great shows out there, can't wait to hear/see them all!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly Crown using this year as there "Second Chance" to finally win. They seem to think the grass really is greener on the other side. Then again, I guess every corps is always trying to win...

I don't think they're meaning it to be literally a second chance at a ring. There's probably more to it than that. Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing them have another chance at a title that IMO they deserved.

I don't think Second Chance is meant to be solely for the title though the obvious, whether intended or not, implication is there. 2nd symphonies obviously ties in to the show title, Mahler's 2nd is called The resurrection, another obvious correlation, and given the way show designers think in general, I'm sure there a bunch more tie-ins both subtle and obvious that I haven't thought of.

*edited for spelling*

Edited by Cron

I've have been lurking since The Season ended, so i haven't posted much.

But The Ressurection Symphony (Mahler's 2nd) is a very personal piece to me. It was basically my exposure to Classical Music, If there is a Corps that can play it, I believe Crown can play it, and play it well. But I'll be honest I will be disappointed if the Finale of the Symphony isn't in the show. The finale IMO, is what makes Mahler's 2nd, as powerful as it is.

But, I am very much looking foward too seeing, and hearing the show for next year... it will inter sting to see if the Two different Colored horns theory is also true.

But I thought their 08 show was about the end....how can we count starting from the end?

as in the Blue Devils Dance Marathon show?

Second Chances might be referring to the Rachmaninoff. His first symphony was widely regarded as a fail when it premiered (possibly because the conductor was drunk on the podium) that threw him into a bout of depression. He went through a huge psycological collapse, disgarded the new symphony he was working on, and gave up on composing. Eventually, he was persuaded to try again with the second, which was a huge success, and got back into the swing of things.

The Rach 2nd symphony was certainly part of the rebirth of the creative spirit he experienced after the debacle of his first symphony (which is not a bad work, actually) - but the piece that truly brought him back from the depths was his 2nd piano concerto - the 'Full Moon and Empty Arms' concerto -

The Rach 2nd symphony was certainly part of the rebirth of the creative spirit he experienced after the debacle of his first symphony (which is not a bad work, actually) - but the piece that truly brought him back from the depths was his 2nd piano concerto - the 'Full Moon and Empty Arms' concerto -

So, you have time to respond to DCP, but not read my important WT emails? :ph34r:

What WT emails? It's 5:11 EDT...and I've gotten nothing from you in days...nada...zippo...die nulte...die dopple nulte even.

Shall we move the discussion of WT here...where everyone will (continue to...) think we're more than passing strange?

:ph34r: