Crown's 2010 repertoire is posted on corpsreps.com

I take the complete opposite approach: The music itself is so inherently awesome that it would work in any arrangement, even 4 kazoos.

Right... cuz the only reason we like Mahler is because of the order of the notes... and not anthing else... right...

Arrangements matter!

I feel like the show idea is very similar to Greatest Endings or whatever that show was called! Which is cool because the focus is purely on awesome music! But like what some people are saying... I hope Crown has got REALLY (better than your average kind) arrangers to tackle a peice like that!

Let's hope Crown doesn't have to make a "Third Times a Charm" show next year... :P

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then they show up at Madison 17 years later.

Lol, yep!

And various other corps in between.

I will admit that until today I was unfamiliar with Mahler's 2nd. That is one very big, beautiful piece of music. The last five minutes had my hair standing on end, and that was just from a YouTube video on an old Dell laptop. I think the conducter required oxygen immediately after the show, and he wasn't even singing...well, at least not very loudly.

Sounds like someone was listening to a Simon Rattle recording...

Finally got to hear some ensemble brass tonight! Heard the ballad (which is changing from the listed piece to a new one) and the closer (which is a reprise of the Mahler 2 mvt 1 (which also opens the show)). In a shocking development (not) CC MMX has both the arrangement and horses to pull of the Mahler. Was a lot of fun listening to them rattle the windows at Fort Mill HS. I heard tomorrow brass is all ensemble so hopefully I'll get to hear more of the show.

Finally got to hear some ensemble brass tonight! Heard the ballad (which is changing from the listed piece to a new one) and the closer (which is a reprise of the Mahler 2 mvt 1 (which also opens the show)). In a shocking development (not) CC MMX has both the arrangement and horses to pull of the Mahler. Was a lot of fun listening to them rattle the windows at Fort Mill HS. I heard tomorrow brass is all ensemble so hopefully I'll get to hear more of the show.

what? mahler 2 is less epic without it's finale. DO THE FINALE CROWN.

what? mahler 2 is less epic without it's finale. DO THE FINALE CROWN.

I'm assuming they'll cut to the finale at some point. Glad they're not doing the low brass chorale for their sake, though. I wouldn't want to go toe to toe against Regiment's Buicks in '06 on that one, either. :thumbup:

Interestingly, I just bought that symphony last night because I'm filling in for Timpani 2 with the Valparaiso University Orchestra. I just attended my first rehearsal yesterday afternoon and decided I needed to stop by Barnes & Noble and pick up a copy of the work. Now there's an additional reason to look forward to listening to it.

As far as the corps's shows being "fluffy for so long," I'd consider the corps' 2006 Richard Danielpour show to be quite non-fluffy indeed, and that was just four years ago.

Maybe to someone my age, (55), four years doesn't seem that long ago. :thumbup:

55? Punk kid...

(Pepe used to call them JCPs - junior corps punks)

AGREED.

Hopefully it will NOT have that SAME long chord they have been using for 3 years now.

I liked the idea before everyone else did it. Also using the SAME chord got tiresome.

I'd love it if they put that chord in every show. It will get me on my feet every time. They are the only corps I've heard actually pull off a chord like that. It stays in tune... and they don't go past the horns. I'll listen to it all ####### day, everyday.

Okay...

I'm really excited for this show.

Look forward to it!!

closer with battery parts in made me smile. saw the same reaction all around. *so* cool.

and the khatchaturian is just ridiculous.

guard auditions had a very strong showing. new choreographer was a lot of fun to watch work.

also fun to hear rondo's talk to members.