Fanfare for the Common Man

I was there at that same show, too. I loved it! :tongue: I think Star beat them at that show...

:blush: Yeah they did. I went back to the Star buses after, as I hand a handful of mentors and friends in Star at the time. The corps was ecstatic. They went from 3rd in prelims (behind PR And Garfield) and then 1st in finals. They had been mixing it up with those to corps for awhile, but scores skyrocketed that night at US Open finals. There was a payphone nearby with a long line of kids making calls about the details. Obviously this was before the internet and cell phones ... heck ... before DCI's score hot-line as well. Needless to say, it wouldn't stick come finals week.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really REALLY wish they'd used that Fanfare quote section (last movement, I think) where the key changed throughout the phrase....brilliant by Copland...may not have been possible on 2 valve horns tho...possibly too many 3rd valve combos.

Longhorn Band played this section in a show we did last season for the first game in September and also the National Championship at the Rose Bowl in January. One of the most memorable segments of music I've played in the 3 years I've been at UT. Every time I listen to '88 Cadets I wish this had been in there too.

http://www.music.utexas.edu/LonghornBand/V...%20Halftime.mov

Third Symphony starts at 6:33 with Fanfare quote at 6:52, but I recommend the whole show too since it's all Copland.