Am I the only one who has winning as a goal. Drum corps really has changed.

I don't find that to be a strong goal. It's not something you can personally have a big enough effect on. If you do happen to win, you can't take credit for it, and if you don't you can't blame it solely on yourself. Really, as an individual you can only change the performance of the entire corps in a very small way, even if you're a soloist. With that you can change the view a judge has of the corps' performance by an even smaller amount and only then hope the score they give reflects that.

Of course, I always wanted to win, and winning felt really good, but I'd never put it on my shoulders to carry that kind of responsibility.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year was my first year marching with Pioneer in the contra line. At my first camp in December, I broke like crazy. My goal from that point on was to NEVER let my horn down again, and to NEVER run a lap for something I personally did. And I am VERY proud to say I achieved my goal. My horn never came down, I knew my music BEFORE I had to, and the only lap I ever got was for joking with my tech just a little too much (oops! :ph34r: ) Other than that, I only ran as a section or as a corps.

My goal then is still my goal now: be the absolute best that I can be, no matter how hard it gets.

That goal is what allowed me to walk off the field everyday with my head held high.

In my view there is absoloutely nothing wrong with wanting to win. My perspective of winning may be different than someone elses perspective.

I follow three rules that drum corps has taught me : Repitition, adversity, and playing to win. Although winning isn't always about taking first, it's all about self fufillment and giving it 100 percent all the time knowing that every repitition and performance was better than the last.

Although I am still very young, drum corps has taught me many life lessons that I carry with me throughout life and this crazy world. :thumbup:

There are many variations of winning. For some it may be wanting the medal and there is nothing with wanting to be the best, but I am inclining that it takes character and is totally up to you to broaden your views as to what winning is.