Conquistadors to Unveil Alternate Uniform

The Conquistadors Drum & Bugle Corps from Johnson City, NY is proud to announce that we will be using an alternate uniform in addition to the Stanbury designed competition outfit. The Frank A Johnson American Legion of Johnson City has just become our newest sponsor and has donated 42 military style uniforms to the organization. These uniforms were previously worn by the Red Raiders Senior Drum and Bugle Corps. Little is known about the group besides that they were founded in 1933 and survived through at least the 1940's. There is no written history of the corps in the local archives so it is even more special that we are able to bring awareness to this long lost group.

Pictures of the uniform will be posted soon. If you have any information regarding the history of the Johnson City Red Raiders, please contact corps director Harry Eldridge at director@conquistadorswinterguard.org

Do you really plan on passing out uniforms that havent been used since the 1940's?

Just asking

The uniforms are all in awesome shape and are in the process of being cleaned and repaired (60 year old thread is wearing out and buttons are falling off)

They will only be used for community related endeavors few and far between to help remind the local community of its corps related past. Mainly we want to have a corps picture taken in them as a gift to the legion.

Bravo,,glad to see someone sticking with tradition over flash in the pan.

Bravo,,glad to see someone sticking with tradition over flash in the pan.

you know why its called the past....cause it should stay there..............sorry dont mean your nastolgic unis...have fun.................Just to the poster, just because something is tradition doesnt mean it was good !

Sorry i think i read to many of the world sucks posts , drum corps isnt the same etc etc today... :plain:

nope no Red Raiders competing in the 60's in NY State or even as a parade corps.... he said he's talking 30's and 40's....

an interesting thing is that my Oswego NY VFW Post 2320 "first corps experience" used khaki, spats and helmuts in the early 50's and bought regular uniforms (green and gold tackle twill with gestapo hats) in the mid 50's when they adopted the name pathfinders (the post was 2 blocks from the house where James Fenimore Cooper wrote the Pathfinder and Last of the Mohicans)... BUT

I have a picture of them from the late 30's - absolutely sure it's them as the major is clearly my first major Mose LeRoy.... and they have very sharp cadet style uni's... so a corps reverting to the military style uni's in a pinch - or maybe the war made it fashionable - was not unusual for the same general part of the country.

nope no Red Raiders competing in the 60's in NY State or even as a parade corps.... he said he's talking 30's and 40's....

an interesting thing is that my Oswego NY VFW Post 2320 "first corps experience" used khaki, spats and helmuts in the early 50's and bought regular uniforms (green and gold tackle twill with gestapo hats) in the mid 50's when they adopted the name pathfinders (the post was 2 blocks from the house where James Fenimore Cooper wrote the Pathfinder and Last of the Mohicans)... BUT

I have a picture of them from the late 30's - absolutely sure it's them as the major is clearly my first major Mose LeRoy.... and they have very sharp cadet style uni's... so a corps reverting to the military style uni's in a pinch - or maybe the war made it fashionable - was not unusual for the same general part of the country.

I like this sort of history. Although, the sight of a corps wearing helmuts does elicit a strong sense of terror in me........along with a odd, but no less strong yearning for relish:

l_helmut.jpg

Edited by Scooter Pirtle