Barry Swain RIP

so sorry to hear of this loss.......Barry was a very special person who was always willing to share and 'give back'....my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and estended family

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met Barry at George 'Sidemouth' Richardson's wake and later at Ray 'Konga' Richardson's wake. I competed against him as both a junior and a senior. He was a man who was genuinely sincere and passionate about the activity and the potential it provided for the younger folks.

I am saddened to hear of his passing and he will be missed by his many friends and admirers in drum corps.

Rest in peace, Barry.

Ray

And even worse - a really good guy - Barry will be missed. For those of you who subscribe to the "big drum corps in the sky" theory - it just got a whole lot more interesting up there.

Yes, indeed. And sadly another void is left down here that can never be filled. A unique man who just gave and gave.

Take care, Barry.

here is the letter that went out to the membership of NJA today:

Dear Friends.

I greet you this evening with a heavy heart because I have received confirmation that Barry Swain passed away on Friday, April 30th after a courageous battle with cancer. In a private service, Barry was laid to rest.

He served proudly as a caption head and Visual Chairman with National Judges Association, as well as a distinguished judge for many years with DCI and DCA. He taught and served as a friend, counselor and critique to many that respected his opinion, valued his honesty and trusted his judgement.

Barry will be remembered for his many stories with and about acquaintances, friends and judges that made many evenings memorable. He left no final request except to be remembered fondly for the gentlemen that he was. Kindly keep Barry in your thoughts and prayers.

Respectfully,

Tim Kondziela

National Judges Association

RIP...

My condolences to Barry's family. I spent countless hours with him over the years judging for DCI and DCI. He was one of a kind and will be missed. I'm sad at hearing of his passing. He was a great friend.

RIP......

Jeff Mitchell

Here are some photos of a young Barry Swain from another thread

Barry.jpg

drumline1971.jpg

...that's Barry kneeling in the middle

RIP Barry....you will be missed greatly.

Edited by George82

I had the pleasure of meeting Barry Swain on several occasions during both my drum corps days and as a high school band director and very rarely had I met such a man of high quality as Barry. His true love for whatever he did related to the outdoor musical and visual arts was evident in everything he did - as a performer, instructor, teacher, adjudicator, mentor, and friend. Although I did not know Barry as well as some of my drum corps comrades, I recognized right away that we was a human being of the most exceptional order with regards to his service to others - especially youth. I, for one, will miss his easygoing, affable, caring way of going about all things drum corps which carried over into everything he did in life. You are a gem Barry Swain and may your star shine as brightly in heaven as it did here on earth. You will truly be missed by all who had the pleasure to know you. God Bless you and perform on in peace.