New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

Wrong - the article said that bc of that conflict of interest with those 4 board members, the conf call was called and the current board resolved. not until we find out who the acting bod is can you make that assumption.

NOT wrong. The conference call of the Voting Members was called after the Board voted to continue development of the G7 proposal.

It was on the Voting Member conference call that 5 members of the Board were recalled and several new Board members were elected. The newly formed Board replaces the previous Board and will review the previous Board's action.

Edited by BOBSMYTH

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to that line of reasoning, then the activity has been dwindling for quite some time. From those bemoaning the changes of the past decade, I keep hearing how there were 400+ corps in the 70's and 40,000 fans in attendance at Montreal. Well then how do you explain the decline in corps and fans that took place from the 70s through 2000? The decline you speak of has been in action for longer than I've been alive. Amps, narration, electronic instruments, and even any-key brass aren't enough to explain the decline, so what else have you got?

Let's start with the premise that the status quo is unsustainable. This seems to be a point upon which everyone can agree. What do you propose to done about it? Don't tell me that we need to return performances to the show style of the 80's. That's a non-starter. It didn't staunch the decline then, it won't staunch the decline now.

here's what I prpose...in a down economy, you dont make power plays to get even more money and shut others out.

I'm sorry, but isn't this activity about the kids, not the people paying to see them?

No.. it is NOT about " the kids ".

As evidence :

There is not a single word in this press release that mentions the potential beneficial effects of this proposal on the " participants ". ( kids ).

However, if one would like to state otherwise, they might want to cite where the effects on " the participants " will be enhanced and improved with this proposal...... and cite what paragraph and sentence above in the press release states such a possible benefit would acrue to them.

This proposal is not motivated by the desire to enhance the experience of kids over the current model which has no such current subdivision within the World Class group of Corps. So absent any evidence to the contrary, we should put to bed once and for all that this proposal is being proposed..... " for the kids " of the Drum Corps activity.

Edited by BRASSO

Umm, because #21 in any given past year is nowhere near the level of #1 in that year, and this might setup a framework for #21 to be #1 (if that's their goal, which it won't be)

Why do you think they keep changing the class structure? ANS: Because EVERYONE wants shows to be more equal. EVERYONE wants shows to be more competitive. EVERYONE wants shows to be excellent, too.

But there always has to be a World Series, just in case someone in a certain class wants to compare itself to someone in another class. That's what Finals is for.

During the summer, let the G7 duke it out at heavyweight events (w/o the overhead of a regional). Let the 8-14 duke it out at their events,and 15-21 at theirs. Then, once per week, everyone comes together at a regional (should only be 2 big shows before FInals) THere will still be the show in Rome,NY work you'll have 7 corps, with 2-3 from each of the "tiers."

There will still be HIGHLY ENTERTAINING SHOWS no matter the tier. (but they won't all be excellent...)

WIN-WIN.

You have come up with judging theories in the past. How does this effect judging? How, in your opinion, should one be able to become a "G-7" corps?

lose lose. because of the way DCi has marketed nothing but the big guns, any show not featuring them is ####ed.

Umm, because #21 in any given past year is nowhere near the level of #1 in that year, and this might setup a framework for #21 to be #1 (if that's their goal, which it won't be)

Why do you think they keep changing the class structure? ANS: Because EVERYONE wants shows to be more equal. EVERYONE wants shows to be more competitive. EVERYONE wants shows to be excellent, too.

But there always has to be a World Series, just in case someone in a certain class wants to compare itself to someone in another class. That's what Finals is for.

During the summer, let the G7 duke it out at heavyweight events (w/o the overhead of a regional). Let the 8-14 duke it out at their events,and 15-21 at theirs. Then, once per week, everyone comes together at a regional (should only be 2 big shows before FInals) THere will still be the show in Rome,NY work you'll have 7 corps, with 2-3 from each of the "tiers."

There will still be HIGHLY ENTERTAINING SHOWS no matter the tier. (but they won't all be excellent...)

WIN-WIN.

Does anyone else think that this sounds a lot like how DCI was originally formed? A group of corps wanted something more, formed their own group, and split off from one that previously existed. I will admit that I do not know much about what happened, but this sounds a lot like what I do know about it.

Here's my opinion about it. It seems good for the fans, those 7 corps, and DCI. But as a member of a corps that isn't included in that 7, I feel very insulted by this. I'm reminded of the saying that goes, "You don't have to blow out someone else's candle to make yours shine stronger." That is what these 7 are doing to the rest of DCI, World Class and Open Class. They are saying, "We are the real deal, and all others are below us." Even if some of the lower ones place higher than them.

So, I understand their intentions, and what the results could be, but I think there are better ways this could be done.

Does anyone else think that this sounds a lot like how DCI was originally formed? A group of corps wanted something more, formed their own group, and split off from one that previously existed. I will admit that I do not know much about what happened, but this sounds a lot like what I do know about it.

Here's my opinion about it. It seems good for the fans, those 7 corps, and DCI. But as a member of a corps that isn't included in that 7, I feel very insulted by this. I'm reminded of the saying that goes, "You don't have to blow out someone else's candle to make yours shine stronger." That is what these 7 are doing to the rest of DCI, World Class and Open Class. They are saying, "We are the real deal, and all others are below us." Even if some of the lower ones place higher than them.

So, I understand their intentions, and what the results could be, but I think there are better ways this could be done.

:lookaround:

the point is that he brought it to the board and told them all about it when he didnt really "need" to.

it makes me think there is more in those 60 pages than "I'm cooler than everyone else so my pals and I need more money and we don't care about all other corps."

if he thought that the proposal was that inflammatory i would think he would either not bring it up at all, he and the 7 would just break off as others are implying, or he would play his hand a lot closer to the chest until they got closer to 2011.

the fact that he tried to play by the rules and structure of dci shows that they DONT want to leave dci.

no. they want DCI when it is convenient for them

The G7 are obviously intent on marketing themselves as "elite." This inevitably means more talent for them and less talent for others. How could this create more competition and help the other corps?

I'm sorry, but isn't this activity about the kids, not the people paying to see them?

yes and under this structure, we'll get to see fewer of them