Would you attend one of the proposed G7 shows?

Attendance at proposed 2011 G7 shows  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend a G7 show?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Is the G7 movement good for drum corp?

• yes
    • no
    • undecided
  3. 3. What is the true motivation behind the G7?

• More money
    • to improve the health of the activity
    • to control their destiny
    • to end DCI as we know it
    • I do not know

The idea behind these shows is both exciting and innovative. But I see no reason why they should be G7 exclusive.

Include 4-6 corps in each show -- two or three G7 corps, the rest non-G7. Including an open class corps. 2-3 shows a week on Fridays and Sundays, make sure that every corps gets to participate in at least one per summer. No judging, except for a fan vote. Random performance order. Give each corps 30 minutes . . . all in one block or scattered throughout the evening, so long as each corps gets equal time. Each corps takes 10-12 minutes to perform their field show, and uses the rest of their time however they want. Encores, solos, ensembles, mini-shows, drum offs, mini-competitions of any sort, skits (seriously), audience participation, loudest hornline competitions, contra races, whatever. Anything goes -- let the creative juices of the staffs and membership flow. Without the pressure of competition each corps can focusing on being as entertaining as possible. While the G7 can put on the best field shows, there's no guarantee they'll be more entertaining and popular in this expanded format. Many of the most talented, funny, and charismatic individuals and sections in DCI come from well outside the G7. The G7 will be the initial draw, but once butts are in the seats every corps will get an equal chance to win fans on an even, competition-free playing field.

And market the crap out of it to marching bands. Offer deep group discounts, free tickets, whatever. Include free swag for band directors. Enter bands that attend into competitions for, say, a shiny new set of drums, a marimba, a couple of quality horns, whatever sponsors are willing to provide. On the day of the show send staff and interested members (or even entire corps) to work with surrounding bands. Offer clinics for brass, percussion, guard, drum majors, and even woodwinds (yes, woodwinds). Hand every kid that comes in an information packet on auditioning/funding, emphasizing the experience of drum corps rather than pimping the elites . . . and then let the show itself demonstrate that joining an open class/lower world class corps can be fun and rewarding. Let the directors and staff of the corps hold Q&A sessions to convince them of the benefits of letting their students join corps. Hold Q&As between band kids and CMMs. Anything. This is the kind "closer marriage to scholastic band" I can get behind.

I've never organized a show of any kind before, so I don't know how expensive/practical some of these things are. I know many of them have already been done. My point is that it is possible to be innovative and move the activity forward without stomping on the throats of the "non-elite" corps.

Edited by Rifuarian

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea behind these shows is both exciting and innovative. But I see no reason why they should be G7 exclusive.

Include 4-6 corps in each show -- two or three G7 corps, the rest non-G7. Including an open class corps. 2-3 shows a week on Fridays and Sundays, make sure that every corps gets to participate in at least one per summer. No judging, except for a fan vote. Random performance order. Give each corps 30 minutes . . . all in one block or scattered throughout the evening, so long as each corps gets equal time. Each corps takes 10-12 minutes to perform their field show, and uses the rest of their time however they want. Encores, solos, ensembles, mini-shows, drum offs, mini-competitions of any sort, skits (seriously), audience participation, loudest hornline competitions, contra races, whatever. Anything goes -- let the creative juices of the staffs and membership flow. Without the pressure of competition each corps can focusing on being as entertaining as possible. While the G7 can put on the best field shows, there's no guarantee they'll be more entertaining and popular in this expanded format. Many of the most talented, funny, and charismatic individuals and sections in DCI come from well outside the G7. The G7 will be the initial draw, but once butts are in the seats every corps will get an equal chance to win fans on an even, competition-free playing field.

And market the crap out of it to marching bands. Offer deep group discounts, free tickets, whatever. Include free swag for band directors. Enter bands that attend into competitions for, say, a shiny new set of drums, a marimba, a couple of quality horns, whatever sponsors are willing to provide. On the day of the show send staff and interested members (or even entire corps) to work with surrounding bands. Offer clinics for brass, percussion, guard, drum majors, and even woodwinds (yes, woodwinds). Hand every kid that comes in an information packet on auditioning/funding, emphasizing the experience of drum corps rather than pimping the elites . . . and then let the show itself demonstrate that joining an open class/lower world class corps can be fun and rewarding. Let the directors and staff of the corps hold Q&A sessions to convince them of the benefits of letting their students join corps. Hold Q&As between band kids and CMMs. Anything. This is the kind "closer marriage to scholastic band" I can get behind.

I've never organized a show of any kind before, so I don't know how expensive/practical some of these things are. I know many of them have already been done. My point is that it is possible to be innovative and move the activity forward without stomping on the throats of the "non-elite" corps.

I agree with some of what you say. I do not agree that they will invite other corps or if they did they would accept. No matter what they say this is about the almighty dollar. By inviting other corps that means less money for G7. And I hope other corps would not accept lower appearence fees just to pad the pocketbooks of the G7

Sounds to me like some of the Corps are getting too big for their collective britches! Almost like they don't want to have the possibility of being surpassed by a corps that might be able to break into their "elite" group. In a time when groups like DCI should be showing solidarity and union, sounds like the elite are not wanting to be paired with those that are perceived as "lower" in stature than they are.

Sometimes (now almost all the time), DCI forgets what its primary purpose is.....youth development. I don't see how any of this G7 stuff benifits youth or anyone else for that matter.

Sometimes (now almost all the time), DCI forgets what its primary purpose is.....youth development. I don't see how any of this G7 stuff benifits youth or anyone else for that matter.

And you'll notice how most of the DCP defenders of this mention the business aspect of Drum Corps (aka it's good business) without mentioning the youth at all.

Wonder if the G7 corps do form their own group they'll have anything about youth in their Business Statement. Well if you're marketing to youth for new members guess you better. Just don't mention you've jettisoned the non-G7 youth.

It doesn't matter how many people say they won't go. Literally only under a thousand people will even know about all of this behind the scenes stuff. The overwhelming majority of people will only see a ######## lineup. Then after seeing how much better the show is with instant encores and fan voting and such they will see G7 as DCI's premier events. And band directors will want to take kids to G7 for many obvious reasons.

Epic truth. Like it or not, poll or not! Awesome shows are what these corps bring consistently and ###### off DCPers won't change that. But it's great to see the debate!

I will be one of the first to admit that I haven't and don't support a lot of what DCI has done or the direction they're going, but this isn't "DCI"-this is a MINORITY of DCI corps directors who are only interested in how their corps, egos, and agendas can best be served (still think Hoppy will get woodwinds into this one way or the other). They don't give a #### about the youth or the other DCI members (WC & OC) and all the kids they serve.

Also competition is what drives drum corps. If you make a show an exhibition it just takes all of the passion and fun out of the experience.

Sorry, I have to disagree with this one...take a look at the Alumni Spectacular on DCA weekend. Not one corps is judged, but it's an awesome part of the weekend and the only drawback for me is the #### bees in the stands every year in Rochester. Then again, prelims start so early now that we have to deal with them most of Saturday, anyway!

youll get around 3% of the finals attendance in votes. not that big.

3% of the attending population is actually not that bad, far fewer then that percentage wise are used for polling data in elections. The problem with using data exclusively from this poll is the inherent biases that will be prevalent in the results. To put it bluntly, sites like this attract mostly, if not almost exclusively, the "die hard" fans. The biases of these fans will be present and highly prevalent in the results, which will likely be highly polarized as some of the results of the voting are showing already. Someone fell free to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe when pollsters try to get a feel for an election they try to get a high portion of unaffiliated/undecided voters opinions in order to get a result less influenced by biases. I know they try to get an equivalent of the affiliated populace of an area as well. A poll along those lines in this instance would not be able to avoid such a polarized result. Setting up a table at a show or walking around with a clipboard asking for attendees opinions is more likely to result in a more accurate feeling of the general show-going populace.

For the record I voted: undecided, no, and more money

I will be one of the first to admit that I haven't and don't support a lot of what DCI has done or the direction they're going, but this isn't "DCI"-this is a MINORITY of DCI corps directors who are only interested in how their corps, egos, and agendas can best be served (still think Hoppy will get woodwinds into this one way or the other). They don't give a #### about the youth or the other DCI members (WC & OC) and all the kids they serve.

Grumpy for President! :tongue: