The OFFICIAL Phantom Regiment Thread

My next viewing will be on the Houston Web Cast and then live in Murph.

I'm laying off watching FN for awhile. I need to cleanse my palette and see the show fresh again.

Murfreesboro is going to ROCK. I just wish I had the whole day off to volunteer again...though I might do something else nice for the corps if I can think of what to do!

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Phantom Phans.....I have a question!

At the Rockford show Sunday I could see and hear SCV's flag guard members counting their moves.

1...2...3...4 , so on. I was at the very top of the stadium and could still hear them.

I could hear 2 groups of flags counting during the quieter parts of the beginning of the SCV show.

These flags were together and sharp in their movements.

Same with the flags in the front of the Cadets show. I heard counting when the horns didnt overpower them.

Does Phantom do this?

Several times I watched the flags at the far side of the field and they were just a bit slower than those in front, as if they keyed their move off of the person in front of them.

Does the music key their flag movement? Is there certain people who count?

This was the first time I really watched what the guard was doing this year vs being overwhelmed by the sound/movement of the brass.

I love watching the crisp movements of the Cadets flags - altho SCV beat them in the recap I believe.

Anyway, my question is what does Phantoms flag guard members key their stops/starts off of?

I've watched a lot of pratices and didnt notice this timing issue.....does that cause a big difference in the scoring?

Is it an member age and/or lack of experience thing?

On a positive note, I really loved the new entrance Phantom did in Rockford. In a stadium with a big black backdrop that sound might just float all the way up to level 600!

No guard should be audibly counting during a performance. Counts (and sub counts) are at the root of all guard work and counting out loud is a very appropriate rehearsal technique when learning and cleaning work - it helps the performers memorize the work, nail down the tempo and develop the muscle memory for what they're doing. But during a performance, they should only be counting in their head, not out loud. At the same time, guard members should also be looking to those in front of them to help ensure correct timing but not as a que for anything unless they're doing a ripple effect. Newly learned work is likely to be less clean (i.e. have timing and technique issues) than work that a guard has had and been rehearsing for weeks.

The Regiment guard still has a lot of work to do to improve their performance both from a content stand point as well as a cleanliness and technique stand point. And they're working hard on it every day.

Regarding the new entrance that we saw in Rockford..... that was unique and designed specifically for that show because of the stadium's access points. The entrance (and exit) at each show going forward will likely vary depending on each stadium's access points with a special entrance and exit plan for Lucas Oil Stadium..... just wait and see. :thumbup:

No guard should be audibly counting during a performance. Counts (and sub counts) are at the root of all guard work and counting out loud is a very appropriate rehearsal technique when learning and cleaning work - it helps the performers memorize the work, nail down the tempo and develop the muscle memory for what they're doing. But during a performance, they should only be counting in their head, not out loud. At the same time, guard members should also be looking to those in front of them to help ensure correct timing but not as a que for anything unless they're doing a ripple effect. Newly learned work is likely to be less clean (i.e. have timing and technique issues) than work that a guard has had and been rehearsing for weeks.

The Regiment guard still has a lot of work to do to improve their performance both from a content stand point as well as a cleanliness and technique stand point. And they're working hard on it every day.

Regarding the new entrance that we saw in Rockford..... that was unique and designed specifically for that show because of the stadium's access points. The entrance (and exit) at each show going forward will likely vary depending on each stadium's access points with a special entrance and exit plan for Lucas Oil Stadium..... just wait and see. :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply and information!

I had thought that's the way it was supposed to be, but not sure seeing so much changes each year.

I wont be seeing Phantom again until finals :thumbup:

But, I know that the guard is hard at work and we will see improvements each show !!!!!

Regarding the new entrance that we saw in Rockford..... that was unique and designed specifically for that show because of the stadium's access points. The entrance (and exit) at each show going forward will likely vary depending on each stadium's access points with a special entrance and exit plan for Lucas Oil Stadium..... just wait and see. :laughing:

I'm getting ideas.....and if it is what I think it is (knowing the field layout of LOS fairly well) it could be one of my favorite moments of the year.

I'm getting ideas.....and if it is what I think it is (knowing the field layout of LOS fairly well) it could be one of my favorite moments of the year.

they're going to open the roof and ascend into a giant ray of white light... :laughing: