The G7 Video

That was creative and even quite funny.

However, Is it sad that I wonder why that same sort of effort hasn't been put into the Crossmen shows in the past few years?

I mean, not be a killjoy, but couldn't their time be better served trying to improve their corps as opposed to using all their creative power to make videos spoofing others? When you are fighting to make finals, don't you really need to take that energy and give the kids a program that will put them into the top again? I thought the video had way more creativity than anything they have put on the field in several years. Not a slam on them, but reality. Why?

IMO, this is a perfect example of why the G7 wants to move forward, when they see other corps like this taking time to do this sort of thing and not trying to further the activity and improve their current brand. I am surprised an organization of this calibre would put their name on it and stoop to the same level of what they perceive as the problem of DCI and the arrogance of the G7. Doing this, while funny in a junior high sort of way, does nothing to help the cause of the "others" and only makes them look like the little annoying brother who won't grow up...

(I know most of you will dog me cause I'm raining on your G7 parade, but my opinion and thoughts are valid too!)

Come on Crossmen, let's see this thought in your show designs and please make finals again for goodness sakes!! :thumbup:

Edited by trumpetcam

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was creative and even quite funny.

However, Is it sad that I wonder why that same sort of effort hasn't been put into the Crossmen shows in the past few years?

I mean, not be a killjoy, but couldn't their time be better served trying to improve their corps as opposed to using all their creative power to make videos spoofing others? When you are fighting to make finals, don't you really need to take that energy and give the kids a program that will put them into the top again? I thought the video had way more creativity than anything they have put on the field in several years. Not a slam on them, but reality. Why?

IMO, this is a perfect example of why the G7 wants to move forward, when they see other corps like this taking time to do this sort of thing and not trying to further the activity and improve their current brand. I am surprised an organization of this calibre would put their name on it and stoop to the same level of what they perceive as the problem of DCI and the arrogance of the G7. Doing this, while funny in a junior high sort of way, does nothing to help the cause of the "others" and only makes them look like the little annoying brother who won't grow up...

(I know most of you will dog me cause I'm raining on your G7 parade, but my opinion and thoughts are valid too!)

Come on Crossmen, let's see this thought in your show designs and please make finals again for goodness sakes!! :thumbup:

One of the goals that the Crossmen design team had going into this year was to have the show completed by the April (or March? or May? can't remember which one) camp. They achieved that goal. So, in the big scheme of things, Guidry's job is pretty much done for the summer, except for rewrites (which he won't know what to do until the staff decides what needs to be changed). Besides, he lifted the music from a reggaeton song - pretty sure all he did was tweak it a little bit and write some lyrics. Probably didn't take to long.

That may be so, but I think the perceived idea that another "lesser" corps would take a stab in this manner is part of the bigger issue. I think Aaron is great, but if my designer did that, he would be off the staff. there is no room for this in a student activity and what are they telling the kids in Crossmen? It's ok to make fun of people if you don't like what they do or who they are? Is that what we were all taught when we marched? No way, c'mon...

I think the best thing all the non G7 corps can do is go about their own business and do their best to unseat members of the G7 on the competitive field. My parents always taught me that if you don't have something good to say, don't say it. I like the Crossmen, but for me, this is a reason why I would consider not supporting them. I am using the same logic as many of you for the G7.

Any corps that would allow their staff to put something out like this is not somewhere I would want my kid learning about life and music. The Crossmen are way better than stooping to this and if it is solely Aaron and his opinion, than so be it. Unfortunately, it is now viewed as the organization and that is a nightmare if you run a business.. It may seem harsh, but someone has to act grown-up and I had hoped it would be the "other" corps.

Edited by trumpetcam

Genkus.

More entertaining than anything in last year's top 12.

Genkus.

More entertaining than anything in last year's top 12.

AND, top 17... :thumbup:

That may be so, but I think the perceived idea that another "lesser" corps would take a stab in this manner is part of the bigger issue. I think Aaron is great, but if my designer did that, he would be off the staff. there is no room for this in a student activity and what are they telling the kids in Crossmen? It's ok to make fun of people if you don't like what they do or who they are? Is that what we were all taught when we marched? No way, c'mon...

I think the best thing all the non G7 corps can do is go about their own business and do their best to unseat members of the G7 on the competitive field. My parents always taught me that if you don't have something good to say, don't say it. I like the Crossmen, but for me, this is a reason why I would consider not supporting them. I am using the same logic as many of you for the G7.

Any corps that would allow their staff to put something out like this is not somewhere I would want my kid learning about life and music. The Crossmen are way better than stooping to this and if it is solely Aaron and his opinion, than so be it. Unfortunately, it is now viewed as the organization and that is a nightmare if you run a business.. It may seem harsh, but someone has to act grown-up and I had hoped it would be the "other" corps.

Actually I think he's making fun of the entire affair. He's an equal opportunity stabber :)

bla bla bla bla

Guidry works his tail off on Crossmens' book each year, and he does an incredible job. If you've listened to his audio updates in the past you'd know that. I assure you, their music book isn't why they haven't been making finals. :thumbup:

Guidry works his tail off on Crossmens' book each year, and he does an incredible job. If you've listened to his audio updates in the past you'd know that. I assure you, their music book isn't why they haven't been making finals. :thumbup:

Just to clarify, there are a lot of reasons that they did not make finals and the music book is included. They were 16th in Music GE. Their highest placement was percussion in 14th. Everything else was 15th-17th.