The OFFICIAL 2010 Spirit Thread

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of those people last year that enjoyed Spirit. Finalist, no. But hat horn line and drum line in 17th, no way (as a corps, not in captions). Heard from a friend that they are only a few hours away from me and some of my drum corps cohorts. We have all decided to take tomorrow off an go check out rehearsal. I am excited to see and hear what is going on there based on the rumors. Would be cool to see the new uniform but I assume it is under lock and key.

So how was it?

I wasn't a fan of Spirit last year, myself . . .I gave it a chance, but it was just a little too trite for me (as was Madisons superhero extravaganza part two, so it wasn't necessarily the electronics that I didn't care for in Spirits show).

Anyhoo, the rep this year looks interesting, so I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it in the next few weeks.

Well, we had to delay our trip by a day. That is the reason I had not yet reported on seeing Spirit. Three of us headed down yesterday and made a few fun spot stops along the way. People talk about famous BBQ from different places. Though maybe not the most talked about, I think some peeps in South Carolina are on top of the BBQ game.

I understand from a volunteer that it is a good thing we waited a day (girlfriend issues BTW, not mine however), seems that just as they were to do a run of the show two days ago, the city had a blackout and the corps was left standing on the starting line in the dark. Would have sucked for us to drive and then not see a run. We tried to not be too conspicuous so we stood back for a while until someone invited us into the stadium. A great place for rehearsal and a great possible show venue.

We talked all the way home about what we saw and heard. We were all basically in shock. To be honest, we did not know what to expect and really had nothing to go on since the corps has been pretty quiet all winter. Their effort to turn things around and be a new and improved Spirit is working in spades. The show is a mess as I am sure everyone's is, but we all walked away wanting to see it again, even as is. Their show theme is super evident and I think works great. The beginning clearly sets you up in a steel mill where you hear lots of building sounds, machines coming to life and metal clanks. The guard carries the role of blacksmith or I guess steel worker very well. They use large hammers in the opener that help sell the theme. They look heavy as if hard to spin, but we were impressed with their precision. The opening sequence is exciting and builds really well. The first front field hit was a a holy cow moment. Different chunks of drill come together as the horn line delivers some impressive sound. The opener then takes off and we get more of the manufacturing feel but in a lot of various ways. The staging of events is great and every section is featured in the opener alone. We kept talking about finding a section that is not quite up to the rest of the corps' level, couldn't find one. The end of the opener is paced well and ends with the musicians charging at you. It catches you off guard as it builds. The next thing you know brass and drums are at the front side line in a long block, then two boxes rotate onto the 50 yard line as the guard stretches across the field. The last few bars are rhythmic and LOUD. All the Bernard Herman stuff is cool and fits the show well.

The ballad is very pretty, lush, and refreshingly different. There are about five of six brass soloist throughout. All were very well played, something you rarely hear from a non-finalist corps. The middle section is fast and harkens back to some of the feel of the opener. It provided great contrast for when it slows back down suddenly and the brass play a standing hit. Though it isn't perfected, this will be a great brass moment. The scoring is unique and again, it is very lush and memorable. The ballad goes right into a percussion feature. It is probably only a minute long but it is very entertaining. New manufacturing sounds (drills, air pressure guns, hammers) fit into this kind of cool funk feel. I assume it will end with a little more flash than it has now, certainly considering the guard is not in on this moment yet.

The corps then arced it up and played the closer. They sounded good on the move, but our biggest shock of the night was hearing this tune with the corps standing still.

Zonkers Batman, if they figure our how to deliver this sound and technique on the move, unless every corps is having their best year in a decade, this will turn some heads but quick. Mixed meter, louds, softs, more section features, cool percussion stuff and a great ending. The drums and pit sound great and according to my percussion friend, they were more than displaying top 12 skills. But for me, that horn line was the most impressive thing. Someone has addressed the trumpet sound and has gotten that section to deliver a few great "burn" moments that will rival any trumpet section. The guard looks full (counted 35) and does not seem at all to be the corps' weakness as in the past few years. It was good to hear and see Jude Boughton turning that part of the corps around quickly. The ensemble was run well. Members seemed turned on and checked in. It was hard to tell horn holes in that members were in and out of drill. A volunteer said some high school students are still trickling in and that a few more are expected today. I did hear a staff member mention there were a few open brass spots. I would highly recommend anyone marching this show. Could be one of those really important and special years for this drum corps.

On the way home we kept talking about how it all seemed so new and different, unexpected really for any corps. If you stumbled upon them rehearsing, you would not guess it was Spirit. I am not slamming their past at all. It is just so aggressive and well constructed, not at all a show designed to be safe. The visual and musical package seems as if the staff decided to write a high demand and high effect show and then just expect the members to rise to the occasion. Seems to be working.

Last time a corps surprised me this much was Boston 2000. Hope the members realize what they got and are able to max it out. Fun trip and worth taking the day off and dealing with a friend's angry girl friend.

Best of Luck Spirit! We will see you in Fort Mill.

PS Didn't see the uniform. Will have to wait.

Edited by tigger2

Nice Spirit updates. Have a great tour! :shutup:

THANK YOU for the update!! Oh man, I can't wait to see them. My son said that everything is going really well and he sounds SO tired when I talk to him (which is NOT very often!)

Let's keep it coming and the discussion going. This corps is really up and coming and let's keep the excitement going for them!!