The OFFICIAL 2010 Spirit Thread

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:tongue:

Looking forward to it.

Thank you so much for starting this thread. My son is in Spirit and we live out of state so we were unable to make it to the picnic. I think more kids are local/closer to GA so a lot of the kids had family there and mine didn't :-/

This is his first season with Spirit and he is very excited and extremely impressed so far!!!!

A word about the uniforms: mum. Don't feel bad about this- I paid a couple grand for my kid to go off and march and he won't even tell ME what they look like ;-) The members are not allowed to share show or uniform details because they really do want it to be a surprise. We would love to see a recording of what we missed but can't because of the risk of leaked info showing up on youtube and whatnot. All I can really say is that my kiddo said "it is one of the coolest uniforms I've ever seen in DCI and it is going to be freaking awesome."

He also said the hornline is paint-peeling loud at times and has a beautiful sound at others- very diverse. I've only talked to my son a couple of times since he moved in and he has sounded tired but happy. I don't think the kids have taken much free time.

He loves Spirit and is having an amazing time!

Thank you so much for starting this thread. My son is in Spirit and we live out of state so we were unable to make it to the picnic. I think more kids are local/closer to GA so a lot of the kids had family there and mine didn't :-/

This is his first season with Spirit and he is very excited and extremely impressed so far!!!!

A word about the uniforms: mum. Don't feel bad about this- I paid a couple grand for my kid to go off and march and he won't even tell ME what they look like ;-) The members are not allowed to share show or uniform details because they really do want it to be a surprise. We would love to see a recording of what we missed but can't because of the risk of leaked info showing up on youtube and whatnot. All I can really say is that my kiddo said "it is one of the coolest uniforms I've ever seen in DCI and it is going to be freaking awesome."

He also said the hornline is paint-peeling loud at times and has a beautiful sound at others- very diverse. I've only talked to my son a couple of times since he moved in and he has sounded tired but happy. I don't think the kids have taken much free time.

He loves Spirit and is having an amazing time!

Like I said, I'm not a percussion guy, but I definitely liked what I was hearing from the drumline! They sounded great!

Thanks for the Spirit update! Another corps to get hyped about!

So it sounds like Spirit has their act together this year!!

I am very excited to hear / see Spirit's show this summer! it is a completely different route that has never really been taken for Spirit.

Sounds like the designers, new staff and location change were good for the corps!

When the Show Poster was put out... it looked like something that a top 6 corps would design. Then came the show selections!! I am so impressed with the news that i have been hearing about Spirit for 2010. I think they will be a very very tough competitor and will def turn heads!!

I BLEED BABY BLUE.....

BugleBand.... Thanks for this thread!!

Edited by SpiritOfJSUFan

Can't wait to see the show. No guitars please. :tongue:

Not to worry, there are no guitars or electric basses this year. :smile:

You might also be happy to know that Spirit will have a timpani in their front ensemble again. They still hadn't arrived by the time of the picnic, but trust me, they'll be there.

One other thing I noticed in the hornline that I feel I should mention - in the short warm-up that I got to listen to, I noticed that every exercise they used, whether it was a breathing exercise, and articulation exercise, or whatever...every single one that was used was also used in '09. I know that may not seem like a big deal to people who came from corps that have had a solid routine for years (Blue Devils, for instance), but I think this is great. Having the same warm-up routine and exercises from year-to-year = consistency, which is exactly what Spirit needs right now.

Yes, the timpani are on the way. My son can't wait to play them!!!! The part will be challenging and from what I've seen of the music (though he tells me they continue to tweak it) will be a nice, rounded addition to the front.

My son couldn't be more pleased. He said Spirit is really first class all the way.

Not to worry, there are no guitars or electric basses this year. :tongue:

You might also be happy to know that Spirit will have a timpani in their front ensemble again. They still hadn't arrived by the time of the picnic, but trust me, they'll be there.

One other thing I noticed in the hornline that I feel I should mention - in the short warm-up that I got to listen to, I noticed that every exercise they used, whether it was a breathing exercise, and articulation exercise, or whatever...every single one that was used was also used in '09. I know that may not seem like a big deal to people who came from corps that have had a solid routine for years (Blue Devils, for instance), but I think this is great. Having the same warm-up routine and exercises from year-to-year = consistency, which is exactly what Spirit needs right now.

That is because their excellent brass staff, most of whom were there last year, are building on the kind of instruction they should have been getting over the years; consistency of a solid technique routine, professionalism with the rest of the staff, and a tough but caring work ethic. These are the same guys that brought Madison's brass line back into the top six during the Sal Salas years. They know what they are doing and care alot about bringing the horn line to where they deserve to be. I cannot wait to hear them.