Parade Uniforms?

Greetings all! Hope you all had a wonderful holiday and were able to thank vet.

I'd like to obtain thoughts and opinions from all parading corps members especially but from all who have thoughts regarding uniforms. We parade in full uniform including long sleeve blouses and heavy weight pants. We're in the northeast and the climate for these parades is usually hot and as such we're prone to heat related emergencies.

I'm proud of the uniform but it would just seem to be more practical to be wearing a nicely designed, cooler short sleeve shirt for just these occasions. How many corps represented here have such attire and would you consider it disrespectful as some may suggest to tradition?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to obtain thoughts and opinions from all parading corps members especially but from all who have thoughts regarding uniforms. We parade in full uniform including long sleeve blouses and heavy weight pants. We're in the northeast and the climate for these parades is usually hot and as such we're prone to heat related emergencies.

I'm proud of the uniform but it would just seem to be more practical to be wearing a nicely designed, cooler short sleeve shirt for just these occasions. How many corps represented here have such attire and would you consider it disrespectful as some may suggest to tradition?

A number of alumni corps have a parade uniform and a "formal" uniform. Usually the parade attire is a golf shirt or bowling shirt with an embroidered corps logo on the left front. The corps pants are standard for all occasions. Hats are usually a ball cap or similar. The hat is really critical to keep the sun off your head.

Competing corps may chose to go with their formal uniform for identity and logistical reasons.

Either way, the marching members should be in good physical condition, drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids beforehand and have at least a light meal before the parade.

Hanover Lancers did the full uniform then went to black (ugh) t-shirts with bibs at a parade near 95 degrees. After a season or two of trying things we finally went to black ballcaps with our logo, white golf shirts with logo on upper left and corps motto on sleeve. Then black shorts (all same style) and "no show" socks with the usual black shoes. Wear them 4th of July and any parade where heat will be a factor (few weeks ago in VA).

Buccs have white t-shirts with a logo, ball caps and blue gym shorts last I saw during the 4th of July Marathon (5 parades) in Baltimore.

Tradition is nice but you have to think of the members health.

Hanover Lancers did the full uniform then went to black (ugh) t-shirts with bibs at a parade near 95 degrees. After a season or two of trying things we finally went to black ballcaps with our logo, white golf shirts with logo on upper left and corps motto on sleeve. Then black shorts (all same style) and "no show" socks with the usual black shoes. Wear them 4th of July and any parade where heat will be a factor (few weeks ago in VA).

Buccs have white t-shirts with a logo, ball caps and blue gym shorts last I saw during the 4th of July Marathon (5 parades) in Baltimore.

Tradition is nice but you have to think of the members health.

Thunderbirds have our full dress uniform modeled after the Marine D&B corps in kelly green without the belt, and white bibs,.....................for parades and such we wear golf shirts and black pants,....................you can find pictures with both on our website,...........www.eriethunderbirds.com

The Kilties perform (as SOP) in full battle gear (full uniform) no matter what the weather or event. More people will see a corps in parades than any other single performance outing; they should hear and see you at your very best and most impressive.

The Kilties perform (as SOP) in full battle gear (full uniform) no matter what the weather or event. More people will see a corps in parades than any other single performance outing; they should hear and see you at your very best and most impressive.

Vehemently disagree with you. It is all about the safety and health of your membership in the long run IMO.

That must be a new rule. Last I checked, I had a parade shirt at home that's practically worn out

from 17 years of parades. :tongue:

With Sky we used to wear our pants and then a red golf shirt that said Skyliners in script with white baseball hats. The tradition of that particular uniform wasn't worth heat stroke...