I want... NO! I DEMAND!

You know something, Pete?

It might be nice if you let the corps do the public commenting on this subject, not you.

I and a few other folks I know have heard similar stuff... but we've all kept quiet publicly about it. Because no one is doing the Sunrisers any favors by jumping the gun on whatever announcement the corps might make.

You, as a longtime Sunriser, should know better... and give the corps the courtesy to speak out first.

Fran... get a life.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude - you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. No one doubts you could throw a quad...

Anyone ever see you CATCH one though?

:worthy:

I must have at least once..... Moe Knox took a photo of one. :thumbup:

(It made the cover of DCN with the caption "Anything they can do we can do better". And no, I didn't write it.... :blink: )

a rookie Sunriser in 1975

One more thing we have in common... :thumbup:

Fran... get a life.

Sorry.... already have one, and have my hands more than full with it. Wanna switch some day?

No big thing. I don't remember what show it was but we were running some drill / music. It was one of those 100 degree days and we were all out of sorts because of the heat. After finnishing our last run, you reemed out Teddy pretty good which led to a good head butting session between you two. At first,it looked like this was going to be an ugly epic battle but it quickly turned into one of the most hilarious battle of commical one liners I have ever seen. I and most of the drummers could barely contain ourselves it was so funny. You guys had us in tears, we were laughtng so hard. I wish I could remember some of the creative funny words you guys exchanged that day but it was funny as hell.

Teddy Furman? Me? Really?

I said something awful in a situation like that to Danny Streit and I felt terrible - no excuses work but it was like 100 and we were practicing on blacktop and I just said something so inappropriate and mean spirited that I'm still embarrassed 15 years later. Anyone who knows me knows that's not my deal.

I can imagine a battle of wits with Teddy as he's a sharp character but I can't imagine getting ugly with him.

Makes me sad to think about, but I'm glad it recovered. Teddy and I are friends to this day. I think he would agree.

Sorry.... already have one, and have my hands more than full with it. Wanna switch some day?

Ouch - funny - I started this post to bust Reading's balls and here I have two good people fighting over the Sunrisers.

Fran - to be fair - I hadn't heard anything at all about the corps going out or not going out, but I certainly didn't hear anyone passing the word to keep it quiet.

I get the frustration involved if it's true, and I respect your desire to honor the efforts of Gary and everyone over there, but I don't know that throwing down over it on a goofy thread like this one does the corps any real honor either.

Plus - whenever any of my more conservative buddies, which is almost all of these corps guys - break my stones for being a bleeding heart liberal - I point out that my 4 years in the military earn my right to express my opinions. Yes I agree that no one in America needs to earn a right to speak, but I always use that excuse because I figure it's hard to argue with.

I don't think that Pete needs to ask anyone's permission to speak about the Sunrisers. Certainly not mine. As much as anyone in the history of that corps, he's earned his right to speak as one of the great Sunrisers of all times, through the bad years and the good. You know I respect you, and actually Pete has not been all that friendly to me in the past couple years, but I'm hard pressed to imagine anyone, even Frank Dorritie, telling China - especially in public - to hold his opinion about the corps. You can disagree. I just don't see it.

I was lucky to teach the Hurcs for the better part of 15 years, and wrote for much of that. They were good to me and I love the corps. Having said that I grew up absolutely in love with the Sunrisers and couldn't wait to join when I got back from overseas. If someone asks me where I marched (and Gene Bennett might disagree about the marching) I say Sun. For me it's where it all began - including in a very real way my love for music and this activity.

Now I feel crappy about statting this post - any mod who wants to shut it down has my blessing. I'm all done.

Imposing? I don't mean to impose, but can you tell me what you meant?

Hello Ray:

Be glad to share exactly what I meant "imposing" = showing a lot of class - "impressive." What I do know is that the kind gestures demonstrated by the Hurcs meant a lot to all of us in the corps, the staff, admin and members.

Carry on!

Dave Faust

The Bucs

Edited by dafepd

I don't think that Pete needs to ask anyone's permission to speak about the Sunrisers. Certainly not mine. As much as anyone in the history of that corps, he's earned his right to speak as one of the great Sunrisers of all times, through the bad years and the good.

I agree 100 percent. Except in this case, he should have shown the current corps' management some courtesy and held his tongue until some sort of official announcement is made. Then if he wanted to speak out, go for it. End of story.

Sun's director Gary Williams is another longtime, great Sunriser... for my money, he tops the "all-time great Sunrisers" list. And I think he has MORE than earned the right to expect some discretion on the part of us alums, when discretion is called for.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled topic, which has now covered several corps, several states and the possibility of life existing in the Reading area. :shutup:

Edited by Fran Haring

Hello Ray:

Be glad to share exactly what I meant "imposing" = showing a lot of class - "impressive." What I do know is that the kind gestures demonstrated by the Hurcs meant a lot to all of us in the corps, the staff, admin and members.

Carry on!

Dave Faust

The Bucs

Dave,

Sorry I was busting your balls over what was essentially a typo.

The Hurcs and Bucs have a relationship and a rivalry that goes back to the earliest days of DCA. The competition has been fierce, and not always as one-sided as the recent years.

With the possible exception to the reaction to 1981 the respect has been mutual. It's fun to stir up the passions, especially in jest, but I shouldn't have picked on one word - especially when you were joining in the cameraderie. I hope you guys have a great season and frankly I hope the Hurcs' season is about 5 tents of a point better, but it's going to take a while to reach the heights that Reading has attained, a run that my never be equaled in DCA.

Ray

Ouch - funny - I started this post to bust Reading's balls and here I have two good people fighting over the Sunrisers.

Fran - to be fair - I hadn't heard anything at all about the corps going out or not going out, but I certainly didn't hear anyone passing the word to keep it quiet.

I get the frustration involved if it's true, and I respect your desire to honor the efforts of Gary and everyone over there, but I don't know that throwing down over it on a goofy thread like this one does the corps any real honor either.

Plus - whenever any of my more conservative buddies, which is almost all of these corps guys - break my stones for being a bleeding heart liberal - I point out that my 4 years in the military earn my right to express my opinions. Yes I agree that no one in America needs to earn a right to speak, but I always use that excuse because I figure it's hard to argue with.

I don't think that Pete needs to ask anyone's permission to speak about the Sunrisers. Certainly not mine. As much as anyone in the history of that corps, he's earned his right to speak as one of the great Sunrisers of all times, through the bad years and the good. You know I respect you, and actually Pete has not been all that friendly to me in the past couple years, but I'm hard pressed to imagine anyone, even Frank Dorritie, telling China - especially in public - to hold his opinion about the corps. You can disagree. I just don't see it.

I was lucky to teach the Hurcs for the better part of 15 years, and wrote for much of that. They were good to me and I love the corps. Having said that I grew up absolutely in love with the Sunrisers and couldn't wait to join when I got back from overseas. If someone asks me where I marched (and Gene Bennett might disagree about the marching) I say Sun. For me it's where it all began - including in a very real way my love for music and this activity.

Now I feel crappy about statting this post - any mod who wants to shut it down has my blessing. I'm all done.

great thread ray!!!! fallon at his wittiest...priceless :shutup: ....when i think back a "few" years when i was a grunt in your horn line, you weren't always this funny...in fact there were times when maniacal would best describe you ! :tongue: the blue boys and the hurcs have had a somewhat parallel existance over these many years....BITD did battle on and off the field, extolling each other to "take it like a man". as much as the activity has evolved.......it's still the same!