My Problem with G7

True.. it could be worked out if both DCI and the new group if formed came to an agreement to mutally use the same judges. Then again, there is nothing to compel either group to accept one another's circuit judges. If there is a real rebellious split with bad feelings present ( certainly possible ) in an eventual split up, I could see one of the organzations prohibiting the judges from judging in both circuits. The judges now judge across multiple circuits now because of the relatively good working relationship between DCI and DCA and Band circuits. Who knows if organizations will be so magnanimous with the sharing of judges however if DCI and the G-7 go their separate ways.

I've yet to hear of someone out and out prohibiting a judge from judging another circuit of any kind....most circuits simply ask an experienced judge if they are interested for the season and their availability, and ask them to honor all dates that they accept. I do have a hunch here, though.....if the 7 would break away and have their own tours and shows, I would bet that they would have their own "stable" of judges that they would select and use with their new format. I don't think that they would prohibit a judge from judging with the other league if/when they are available. There would be no real reason other than spite for the other organization, and that could hurt more than help. They would have to assign a new judging administrator and perhaps caption heads, and would have to make sure the judges are in tune with their new format.

All speculation at the moment...........frankly, I hope things stay the way they are....there are many ways these corps can add some "Pizazz" to shows, bring back some old fans, and bring in some new ones. Overhauling the judging of the effect captions, which looks like it may be in the works, would be a start.

GB

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea its not just about him. Its all of them, all 7 directors. Fiedler, Gibbs, whatever the dudes name is in Toledo, that new Phantom guy buy way of Vanguard whatever his name is, the newbee at Cavaliers, and the CC guy. There are 3 that I know of, really the others are just pawns to there bidding. Dont think for a moment that Gibbs and Fiedler are not behind a whole bunch of this. You know at one point I thought of those 3 as icons, Hopkins, Gibbs and Fiedler. Now I just hope they become hasbeens.

Adolph DeGrauwe has been an integral part of the Cavaliers organization for many years. Mr. DeGrauwe is not, under any circumstances, a "newbee".

I've yet to hear of someone out and out prohibiting a judge from judging another circuit of any kind....most circuits simply ask an experienced judge if they are interested for the season and their availability, and ask them to honor all dates that they accept. I do have a hunch here, though.....if the 7 would break away and have their own tours and shows, I would bet that they would have their own "stable" of judges that they would select and use with their new format. I don't think that they would prohibit a judge from judging with the other league if/when they are available. There would be no real reason other than spite for the other organization, and that could hurt more than help. They would have to assign a new judging administrator and perhaps caption heads, and would have to make sure the judges are in tune with their new format.

All speculation at the moment...........frankly, I hope things stay the way they are....there are many ways these corps can add some "Pizazz" to shows, bring back some old fans, and bring in some new ones. Overhauling the judging of the effect captions, which looks like it may be in the works, would be a start.

GB

Well, we've never heard of a G-7 like attempt at a power grab coup of a DCI organization before either. This is unchartered waters here. The G-7 wants to DOUBLE their voting rights, while stripping some Corps of ALL voting right privleges.This tells me that if the G-7 went out on their own, I would not dismiss outright the possibility of DCI telling their judges to make a choice... stay with DCI ... or be out of future DCI judging slots. It's not like there arn't enough young and competent judges out there ready to pick up the mantle should DCI decide to let some judges go and give more slots to others. I'm not saying this would occur. I just would not rule that out, that's all.

As for what will happen, this is anybody's guess. I don't think this G-7 proposal has a snowball's chance in hull of being passed when it comes to a vote. Then it will be up to those that concocted this power grab scheme to decide to come back into the fold, or decide to go off into the wild blue yonder one, some, or all seven of them with this vision of theirs. If pushed, I'd say some of the G-7 are already with one foot out the door, and they're about as good as gone after this year. But that's just my opinion here. I just don't think you can come out with a plan like this, have it go down in flames when put to a vote, and then go home with your tail between your legs. That frankly is not in at least 3 of these Corps Directors DNA. They are not into compomise, especially when they have exalted and annointed themselves as Royalty and SOOOO much better than the other " Not Worthy " Great Unwashed below them.

Edited by BRASSO

Well, we've never heard of a G-7 like attempt at a power grab coup of a DCI organization before either. This is unchartered waters here. The G-7 wants to DOUBLE their voting rights, while stripping some Corps of ALL voting right privleges.This tells me that if the G-7 went out on their own, I would not dismiss outright the possibility of DCI telling their judges to make a choice... stay with DCI ... or be out of future DCI judging slots. It's not like there arn't enough young and competent judges out there ready to pick up the mantle should DCI decide to let some judges go and give more slots to others. I'm not saying this would occur. I just would not rule that out, that's all.

As for what will happen, this is anybody's guess. I don't think this G-7 proposal has a snowball's chance in hull of being passed when it comes to a vote. Then it will be up to those that concocted this power grab scheme to decide to come back into the fold, or decide to go off into the wild blue yonder one, some, or all seven of them with this vision of theirs. If pushed, I'd say some of the G-7 are already with one foot out the door, and they're about as good as gone after this year. But that's just my opinion here. I just don't think you can come out with a plan like this, have it go down in flames when put to a vote, and then go home with your tail between your legs. That frankly is not in at least 3 of these Corps Directors DNA. They are not into compomise, especially when they have exalted and annointed themselves as Royalty and SOOOO much better than the other " Not Worthy " Great Unwashed below them.

If G7 lure the judges away , at least to judge some shows you can bet its going to be a tug of war of " show me the money " Make NO mistake that judging is a business also. As far as any of this passing. I agree I dont think MOST of it will BUT I also believe thats what the intent may have been from the beginning. hmmmmmmmm :tongue:

You are right and also entitled to your opinion. I usually don't have to buy a ticket so maybe youre right although stands do seem alot more full when the top dawgs are coming on. I wonder to the comment on Fri night work etc. How many would take off from work if the top dawgs were on 1st. Just a question NOT a confrontation. ! :tongue:

not many. ya see...jobs dont always let people just skip off to go see a drum corps show

i believe all of your questions were answered in the G7 proposal.

"details to be worked out later" was the answer

If the G-7 (or G-3, G-4 ) in the end decide to leave DCI, nobody has of yet discussed how those Corps will provide judges to their self proclaimed group. Are they going to take some DCI judges with them ? Will DCI allow judges to judge BOTH within DCI and with the new organization that this group wil presumably have to form ? Since we can also assume that this group will adopt new judging captions ( as their proposal calls for ), and that DCI presumably will not adopt, how does a judge effectively prepare themselves to use properly 2 completely different yardsticks in the same season to judge in 2 different organizations... with 2 completely diiferent yardsticks to judge ( say ) " winds " caption ?

So many questions, left unanswered, huh ? These are exciting Drum Corps times we live in. We are probably at a crossroads in the direction of the activity, and it'll be interesting to see what happens.

i believe all of your questions were answered in the G7 proposal.

"details to be worked out later" was the answer

True... when somebody asks me to take a HUGE risk on something, but tells me " don' t worry, the details are to be worked out later " I'm waiting on those " details " before I do anything. As the saying goes .." the devil is in the details ". And without " details " they have a nice big pie in the sky, but nothing else. When this proposal comes up and loses in the vote, it'll be interesting if all the current Corps in this 7 Corps configuration stay unified, or if some drop off right then and there.

Edited by BRASSO

If there is a real rebellious split with bad feelings present ( certainly possible ) in an eventual split up, I could see one of the organzations prohibiting the judges from judging in both circuits.

I guess that's possible, but there are plenty of fish in the ocean. Both circuits would be able to get enough competent judges.

I guess that's possible, but there are plenty of fish in the ocean. Both circuits would be able to get enough competent judges.

I agree.