Would you do it again...today

...going to a top university in August in a very difficult program after maintaining a 4.0 grade point every semester for 13 years. "Not so much"??? WRONG!!

Not to put words in Gary's mouth, but I think what he was trying to say is that in younger days the kids coming in weren't 4.0 students. Corps would literally pull kids off the streets and stick a drum, horn, or flag in their hands. Many of them were kids falling through the cracks, C students or worse, drop outs, delinquents, misfits, and they were TRANSFORMED into solid young adults and sometimes champions. It was a different activity entirely, with a different focus. Today's purpose is still to build character and all those great attributes and it still works well. But, when was the last time a finalist corps grabbed a kid hanging out in a park with no music experience and turned them into a top notch performer? It was common then... today?... not so much.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to put words in Gary's mouth, but I think what he was trying to say is that in younger days the kids coming in weren't 4.0 students. Corps would literally pull kids off the streets and stick a drum, horn, or flag in their hands. Many of them were kids falling through the cracks, C students or worse, drop outs, delinquents, misfits, and they were TRANSFORMED into solid young adults and sometimes champions. It was a different activity entirely, with a different focus. Today's purpose is still to build character and all those great attributes and it still works well. But, when was the last time a finalist corps grabbed a kid hanging out in a park with no music experience and turned them into a top notch performer? It was common then... today?... not so much.

I don't think a lot of the kids off the street could handle many of the modern charts, tho. As the activity increased in popularity, more people came aboard who already knew how to play, which opened the door to more intricate music...drill followed that.

Could tou take someone and teach him to play and march? Sure, but the program wouldn't be as fast or intricate.

Obviously, Sam. I was trying to explain what Gary may have intended before the zealots jumped on him, which wasn't a cut on today's members who are clearly quite solid and disciplined, just a statement on the change in times. Amazing how little it takes to get the rah-rah's panties in a knot. To the easily offended - Your kids are perfect and wonderful and the best thing since cheese. Happy now?

But frankly on what you said, I would rather have shows that were perhaps a little less complex or less technically perfect while serving a greater social purpose. There was once an altruistic vision for this activity which has been sadly and entirely lost. Guys like Jim Jones are probably rolling in their graves. Just one of many reasons I would not march again today.

But frankly on what you said, I would rather have shows that were perhaps a little less complex or less technically perfect while serving a greater social purpose.

They're out there....Crown 07 and Bluecoats 08 come to mind...they just get lost in other corps trying to be "important."

There was once an altruistic vision for this activity which has been sadly and entirely lost. Guys like Jim Jones are probably rolling in their graves. Just one of many reasons I would not march again today.

That's not limited to drum corps, of course...you can take about any youth activity and watch it change as more people get involved and it gets more competitive. Happens in fencing, too...I know a few people who are heavy competitors...the kind who have a legitimate shot at making the national team...who look down on the purely recreational fencers.

I have a awesome one-pack ab! :shutup:

One pack ab....hah!

Mine's the pony keg. :tongue:

But frankly on what you said, I would rather have shows that were perhaps a little less complex or less technically perfect while serving a greater social purpose. There was once an altruistic vision for this activity which has been sadly and entirely lost. Guys like Jim Jones are probably rolling in their graves. Just one of many reasons I would not march again today.

Lots of those kids find their way into HS programs which serve much the same purpose. Personally seen lots of kids for whom marching band (or it's winter equivalent) was the *one place* where kids felt they had a safe, supportive place in which to flourish. The *activity* still serves those kids -- it's just not run by VFWs and ALs --it's run by booster clubs.

Heck we had some players in our lines that the buttons had to be written in for!!

And as has been stated there were a lot of kids that marched back in the day that it took them from a bad place in life and gave them an escape for the summer and for some gave them a new direction that changed their life forever. I wish that could be said for every participant!!!