Allentown tips

Yocco's is fine (for what it is). It's a rather small dog with rolls to match. If someone tells you they ate six, it's no big accomplishment. Me, I prefer Rutt's Hut in New Jersey.

For those who might not know the story behind the Yocco's name. Here we go:

The was no Mr. Yocco. Ford and Chrysler's Lee Iacocca, grew up in Allentown, graduated from local Lehigh University and become a world famous corporate achiever. His family started this particular hot dog business. Because no one could ever pronounce the family name correctly, they chose a more "phonetic" version.

:shutup:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The neighborhood streets SOUTH of Hamilton Street, bounded on the East by S. St. Elmo, on the west by S. Glenwood St., and north of Union Street are ALWAYS underutilized. That's a very safe area with well-cared for homes.

CAUTION: Take extra care crossing Hamilton Street on foot. Cars go by pretty quickly and you will be crossing four lanes. It's especially tough at night if the Allentown Police don't show-up to help.

Yes, support the Hamilton Family Diner. The owner goes out of his way to help our event's spectators. It does get very crowded. For something a little more upscale, say $25 per person, not counting drinks, try Youell's Oyster House, one block south of Hamilton on E. Walnut in the neighborhood described.

Any neighborhood east of 15th Street should be avoided due to crime problems.

yes please be careful crossing Hamilton. I saw the guy who marched behind me get hit by a car 45 minutes before a show began

There's a cemetery a short distance behind J. Birney Crum. I always get there fairly early and park behind it, which never seems very crowded.

Yocco's FTW!

Oh, and get a funnel cake. It ain't Allentown unless you get a funnel cake.