Concerning trumpet range.

I asked a question a while back wondering how high the lead trumpets in DCI usually play and received my answer. But now i have a new one.

On every corps website, it clearly states that if you audition for a lead trumpet part you must be prepared to demonstrate your range. Now my question is how high are they going to be exception you to play and how should you demonstrate your range?

They don't have an expectation for your range. If they made everyone go to the same note then nobody would be able to demonstrate their range. Here you just do simply what is asked...demonstrate your range. Go as high as you can go while making a quality sound. The staff will then determine what part you should play, partially based on your range.

You can simply play scales to do this, btw.

Edited by VoC

They don't have an expectation for your range. If they made everyone go to the same note then nobody would be able to demonstrate their range. Here you just do simply what is asked...demonstrate your range. Go as high as you can go while making a quality sound. The staff will then determine what part you should play, partially based on your range.

You can simply play scales to do this, btw.

:shutup:

In my Regiment audition, they initially said to play a 2 octave C scale as a requirement, then if they thought you were lead material, they would just say "play a C scale as high as you can and come back down."

But really, stop worrying about range. It doesn't matter if you're upper split lead or third, you're still contributing greatly to the hornline. The lead parts would be nothing without the inner voices and support. Anyway, what they're going to look at in your audition is tone quality, rhythmic accuracy, air support (of which good tone quality is a product), and ability to handle criticism and make improvements on the fly. If you go into the audition thinking "man, I've gotta hit this one note, or I'm screwed," you're going to psych yourself out and botch the whole thing. Just focus on your rhythms, air, and breath marks (seriously, focus on your breath marks because your breathing will be shallower than normal thanks to nerves), and you'll be fine. Range will come with time.

Edited by zachariaswmb

At the point of auditions, the staff usually knows what musical selections and the range in which you will need to play, and play comfortably. So just play as high as you can COMFORTABLY and the faculty will be able to place you on the part accordingly. (Range was never really a struggle for me! :shutup: )

At the point of auditions, the staff usually knows what musical selections and the range in which you will need to play, and play comfortably. So just play as high as you can COMFORTABLY and the faculty will be able to place you on the part accordingly. (Range was never really a struggle for me! :shutup: )

Typical trumpet player. :tongue:

Edited by zachariaswmb

Awesome thanks for the replies guys...I can't wait until auditions roll around again so I can start attending some camps. I'm going out for Crown most likely :D

Madison has/had a couple of holes. Their brass technique is probably the same as Crown now. You could get a leg up on next year....

Edited by jjeffeory