DCA I&E/Mini Corps

Thanks for all of your work (and the work of all of DCA staff and volunteers) to host I&E each year.

I've reread the rules (as I do each year). Curious to know if there is a published list of "approved" brass instruments from DCA. I've tried to identify one, but it's probably located in an obvious location and I continue to miss it.

I'm not intending to open up any cans of worms, just to curious to know what constitutes an "unapproved" brass instrument.

Thanks!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all of your work (and the work of all of DCA staff and volunteers) to host I&E each year.

I've reread the rules (as I do each year). Curious to know if there is a published list of "approved" brass instruments from DCA. I've tried to identify one, but it's probably located in an obvious location and I continue to miss it.

I'm not intending to open up any cans of worms, just to curious to know what constitutes an "unapproved" brass instrument.

Thanks!

The main rulebook simply states something like "bell front, valved brass instruments in any key"

even though the bell may not be exactly front, I would discourage sousaphones lol (don't go there) Same goes for slide trombones...

So I think the same would go for classic French Horn... which I suspect is where someone of your ability may be going... nah - you don't want to go there... Pepe would get you in the hereafter...

It is always a pleasure to see you and as an old French Horn player and one of the earliest mellophone players in the industry and one who got to work under Dom DelRa who invented the mellophone - middle voices do indeed RULE

The main rulebook simply states something like "bell front, valved brass instruments in any key"

even though the bell may not be exactly front, I would discourage sousaphones lol (don't go there) Same goes for slide trombones...

So I think the same would go for classic French Horn... which I suspect is where someone of your ability may be going... nah - you don't want to go there... Pepe would get you in the hereafter...

It is always a pleasure to see you and as an old French Horn player and one of the earliest mellophone players in the industry and one who got to work under Dom DelRa who invented the mellophone - middle voices do indeed RULE

Thanks Tom. I was thinking a broad definition such as the one you provided would apply. Incidentally, mellophone was my first brass instrument and the next time I touch an orchestral horn will be the second time I've touched one. I would hope Pepe would float down from his cloud and strike me on the noggin with his valve/rotor F horn bugle if I ever feel so inclined to attempt to play an orchestral horn!! It would do the music world a tremendous favor, plus it would be great to see him again!

Looking forward to seeing you again in Rochester!!

Joe we think we make the rules easy> But everytime I think they are set they drag me back in. lol

But any questions, I'm always here.

just curious to know what constitutes an "unapproved" brass instrument.

Vuvuzelas. :tongue:

Vuvuzelas. :tongue:

not brass... illegal lol

Edited by TomPeashey

But Tom, what about this..... :tongue:

holtr395.jpg

It is bell front, brass, valved, and is definately "in any key" :worthy:

Only kidding, but had to throw it out there. :smile:

Everyone say hi to Matt Williams the first international sign up this year. Bari from Kidsgrove. He even beat Cadre that is an accomplishment.

Edited by Rap48