Though I don't have the obit write up at present, I will share the following:

I met Ted Brazier in 1989, when I was with Steel City Ambassadors. Ted was (in his words) "just hanging out with the corps". in a short time, Ted became a valuable "support staff" member. As much a member of Steel City as any of us, he was well liked and absolutely FUN to have around.

He was involved with The Keystoners prior to Steel City, if memory serves me.

Ted was also of course, a member of the Hamilton Ontario Firefighters Sr. corps and may have been with Guelph Royalaires at some point.

Ted could set up a small grill in the morning and in short order we were all having a hot breakfast before rehearsal! He introduced me to the wonders of Canadian bacon! Said grill was also fired up at the "Econolodge" in Allentown where several of his friends, me included, enjoyed steak with all the trimmings.

I had Ted as a house guest some years ago and took him on a riverboat cruise on the Ohio River. He was a passionate as any of us old timers with regards to Drumcorps. Our last visit togeather was in 2009 at Kilties prelims rehearsal in Rochester. I was standing in front of the Riverside Raddison loitering with a cigarette and Ted rolls up in the front driveway of the hotel. I hadn't seen him for a few years and was happy to see him. I asked him: "where are you staying"?

He said: "I guess in my van". (We both had vans when in steel City and would set up camp at rehearsal sites).. but I told him to park in the garage and gave him a key to my room. So Ted stayed with me and John Gruphofer and a Kiltie or two!

We have all lost a great friend today.

RIP my friend. Ill always treasure my memories of you!

A visionary, a gentleman (although I'm guessing there were times at Crusaders/Statesmen rehearsals when he wasn't so gentlemanly...LOL) and a tireless booster of the drum corps activity.

I know of at least one instance when he went out of his way to help a struggling corps....completely behind the scenes, without saying anything to anyone publicly about what he did.

Also.... IMO, he's on the short list of "people who have it completely together" in terms of marketing a drum corps.

Vincent Bruni

Share your memories.

vince bruni............where do i start? when i was in elemetrary school at pardee elementary in east irondequiot i met vince bruni. he was my gym teacher. of course as a young boy i loved gym class. vince saw in me that i was very competitive with the other kids. he was like a father to me. he helped me to hone my athletic skills. i guess he took a shine to me. he used to pick me up for school so i wouldn't have to walk in cold or wet weather. in 1964 he told me that he would come by at 6:30 for rehearsal for the irondequiot crusaders to watch. he said " you might just enjoy it" so i went. well he was right. the next week he asked me what i thought. i said i likeed it. he said " pay attention and maybe in time you can be part of it" he introduced me to a lot of people in crusaders. i was kind of a mascot. in 1965-66 on some weekends he let me travel with the corps. of course he got permission from my dad. he talked to my dad a lot and said that in 1967 i could join if i wanted and i did. this man guided me through my young personal life. he helped teach me that when things got tough to try harder. and never give up. he loved kids. all the kids in school loved him. and he loved them. he made you feel like you were family........his family. it was a sad day for me when he passed. i only wish that i could have talked to him one more time. he was a great man in life and one of the true greats in drum corps...........he could build bridges. vince beleived in kids. he thought that if he could get them in sports or drum corps he could keep them off the streets and out of trouble. this i know he thought of me as he told me so. that is why he took an underage kid and let him join the crusaders. for that i owe him great thanks and praise. :smile::smile:

Edited by donincardona

• 1 month later...

During this past week our activity has lost 2 individuals that served with great distinction, namely Bill Murray and Bill Lawler. Below is Bill Murray's obituary as it appeared in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and below that is Mr. Murray's Drum Corps biography as it appears on the Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame website.

Bill Lawler's notice is below as well and contains the notice sent out by Mark Fulcomer, Director of the Archer-Epler Musketeers as well as Mr. Lawler's Drum Corps biographies from the Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame and World Drum Corps Hall of Fame of which he was a member.

May they both Rest In Peace.

WILLIAM "BILL" C. MURRAY

Of Greensburg, PA, passed on July 17, 2010, at the age of 68. Born in Buffalo, NY to parents, William Murray and Olga Ezyk. Bill moved to Western Pennsylvania at an early age, grew up in the New Kensington area and eventually graduated form Ken High School in 1960. Bill Married Gail (Solomon) Murray, who passed in 1995, and together had two sons, Bill (43) and Ryan (34). Bill went on to marry Michele Essey Murray in October 1999 and together became the center of the Murray family. Michele was at his side at the time of his passing. Bill was an accomplished businessman. He owned and operated Century Medical Systems which provided X-Ray services to doctors and hospitals in the tri-state area. His work in this field earned him numerous awards and accolades within the medical and business communities. He was a avid drummer and baseball player in school and carried those passions with him to this very day. Bill marched with several drum and bugle corps throughout his life and was a well respected musician and composer within that community. He was often invited to play as a "guest drummer" with some of the most prestigious drum and bugle corps in the nation. His other passions included model railroading amassing quite the collection of Lionel trains over the years. His other passion - his twin grandchildren Cailyn and Aidan (9). He is survived by his wife Michele Essey Murray; his sons, William and Ryan and his grandchildren Cailyn and Aidan. He is also survived by his brother Tim, his sister Bonnie and brother-in-law George Stanley. He was especially proud of his extended family including his daughters-in-law, Amy (Tuffs) Murray and Kathy Stokes.

Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame biography:

Bill’s Drum Corps experience started in 1958 as a snare drummer with the Vern Acklin Cavaliers. Upon completing 2 years of competition with them he moved on to the Pittsburgh Rockets in 1960 and stayed with them til 1965. He became the percussion arranger and instructor for the Cleveland Cavaliers for a period of 3 years. Bill has also served the Drum Corps activity as a percussion judge in both the All-American Judges Association and the National Judges Association.

Bill is a Charter Lifetime member of the Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

WILLIAM V. LAWLER

Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame biography

Bill's competitive performance career began in 1944 with the Upper Darby Post 214 and last 7 seasons until 1950 as a soprano bugler. After a very brief retirement from competition Bill joined the Archer-Epler Musketeers in 1955 and finally retired from field competition in 1963. That same year Bill began his musical instruction career with the Blackwood Brigadiers which lasted until 1974. In 1965 Bill took on the musical instruction duties with the Media Fawns and remained with them until 1976. Bill’s adjudication career began in 1956 serving as Chief Judge for the Mid-Atlantic Judges Association until 1975 and the Cavalcade of Bands until 1980. Bill also served as M&M and Chief Judge for the International Music Festival from 1974 through 1980 and Chief Judge for DCA from 1973 through 1979. Bill has been a member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame since 1990.

World Drum Corps Hall of Fame biography

Bill Lawler was a member of the Archer-Epler Musketeers, sponsored at the time by the Upper Darby Post 214. He was also associated with a number of other Pennsylvania corps, including Blackwood Brigadiers, Media Fawns, Yearsley Cadets, John Wanamaker American Legion Post, Honeybrook senior corps, Sahler Sedan Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) senior corps and Westchester VFW seniors. He judged for both Drum Corps Associates (DCA) and the Mid Atlantic Judges Association.

Notice sent out by Dr. Mark Fulcomer, Director of the Archer-Epler Musketeers

Yesterday Bill Lawler, a longtime member of our Archer-Epler organizations, passed away after a very difficult struggle with cancer. Beginning with the Upper Darby Post 214 junior corps following World War II, his drum corps experiences encompassed just about every position imaginable. Bill was an outstanding soprano bugler with some great "Archie" corps in the 1950's. Following his competitive days, he became well-known as a chief judge, first with Mid-Atlantic and later with the Cavalacade of Bands. While his judging and corps administration work later extended to DCA, his enthusiasm in promoting young peoples' interest in marching music continued for decades and included instructing the Media Fawns, an all-girl junior drum and bugle corps.

When we were about to bring the corps back in 1975, Bill and his good friend Vince Deegan were there to help paint the back room of the Post and their hilarious antics reminded me of some great comedic duos. In less than a year, I remember how proud they were when the corps marched past them at the reviewing stand of the 1976 Bicentennial Parade in Philadelphia. Bill was "there again" in 1981 when the corps returned to competition and he was instrumental in arranging for our DCA Finals joint appearance with Ed Shaughnessy, the Tonight Show drummer at the time. Later on Bill was the anchor of the bass baritones in our chorus through its entire history, from a rather humble beginning in 1986 on to some excellent performances at the Phillies, GAS Reunions, and elsewhere into the 2000's. Although I'm not sure when he first joined, Bill was also a very active member of Archer-Epler American Legion Post #979 and was an officer for many years, including 2010. In fact, because of his illness, this year was the first time I ever remember him missing the Memorial Day services at the Post. With his many contributions to our activity, it is hardly surprising that he was recognized by and became a member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame and the Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

However, drum corps was also a family activity for Bill. He and his lovely wife Kathleen, herself one the "Archie Girls" from the 1950s and previously a member of the McCall junior corps in Philadelphia, were inseparable and faithfully attended various social events connected with drum corps over the years. Kathleen, their daughter, has had her own drum corps career, first with the Media Fawns, then later with our competitive corps in the 1980s, and onto our chorus, where like her father she too was a stallwart throughout its existence.

Bill was quite tall in stature but was even "taller" in what he accomplished during his lifetime. We will miss him tremendously but are thankful to have been first-hand witnesses to his many contributions that have left their indelible influences on his many friends throughout the world.

A funeral mass for Bill will take place at 11 AM on Monday, July 26th at St. Anastasia RCC in Newtown Square, PA. Visitation will also take place at the church from 9:30-11:00 AM. Following the Mass, Bill will be Interned at Saints Peter and Paul Cemetary.

Edited by PennsylvaniaDCHOF

Sorry to hear of their passing.

I didn''t know Bill Murray, but I met Bill Lawler several times over the years... my in-laws were quite fond of him. He was a gentleman's gentleman.

Edited by Fran Haring

To those that knew him as a Father figure, a mentor, a friend, or as some mythical figure (either as a contemporary figure or as tales and stories told) James J. Costello. "Cos" to those that knew and loved him.

To those that knew him as a Father figure, a mentor, a friend, or as some mythical figure (either as a contemporary figure or as tales and stories told) James J. Costello. "Cos" to those that knew and loved him.

Greatest drum corps director ever, IMO. He set the standard.