I realize that this thread is for drum corps greats, some of which I have had the honor of meeting and some that I wish I could have met. However, the person that I would like to pay tribute to, is my mom. My mom was an avid drum corps fan after becoming friends with one of the guys in the guard from the Buccaneers. This is going back the late 1950's. My mom went to every local show because she loved drum corps. Hershey always had a VFW show and an American Legion show, one was in June (third week without fail) and the other one was in August. In 1960, mom went to the June show, had me in July and I went to the August show with mom and dad. It was because of my mom's love of drum corps that I got to see the activity and later on march in the activity. The guy that mom knew from Reading? His name was Ken Nagle if anyone knows him. Thanks for letting me post this.

Scott

I realize that this thread is for drum corps greats, some of which I have had the honor of meeting and some that I wish I could have met. However, the person that I would like to pay tribute to, is my mom. My mom was an avid drum corps fan after becoming friends with one of the guys in the guard from the Buccaneers. This is going back the late 1950's. My mom went to every local show because she loved drum corps. Hershey always had a VFW show and an American Legion show, one was in June (third week without fail) and the other one was in August. In 1960, mom went to the June show, had me in July and I went to the August show with mom and dad. It was because of my mom's love of drum corps that I got to see the activity and later on march in the activity. The guy that mom knew from Reading? His name was Ken Nagle if anyone knows him. Thanks for letting me post this.

Scott

scott this thread was started for anyone who wanted to pay tribute to somebody. this was a great tribute to your mom. she must have been one of the " GREATS " she was your mom after all! :thumbdown:

I'd like to offer some personal comments about the passing of Mr. Bill Murray, as reported here recently:

WILLIAM "BILL" C. MURRAY

Of Greensburg, PA, passed on July 17, 2010, at the age of 68. Born in Buffalo, NY to parents, William Murray and Olga Ezyk. Bill moved to Western Pennsylvania at an early age, grew up in the New Kensington area and eventually graduated form Ken High School in 1960. Bill Married Gail (Solomon) Murray, who passed in 1995, and together had two sons, Bill (43) and Ryan (34). Bill went on to marry Michele Essey Murray in October 1999 and together became the center of the Murray family. Michele was at his side at the time of his passing. Bill was an accomplished businessman. He owned and operated Century Medical Systems which provided X-Ray services to doctors and hospitals in the tri-state area. His work in this field earned him numerous awards and accolades within the medical and business communities. He was a avid drummer and baseball player in school and carried those passions with him to this very day. Bill marched with several drum and bugle corps throughout his life and was a well respected musician and composer within that community. He was often invited to play as a "guest drummer" with some of the most prestigious drum and bugle corps in the nation. His other passions included model railroading amassing quite the collection of Lionel trains over the years. His other passion - his twin grandchildren Cailyn and Aidan (9). He is survived by his wife Michele Essey Murray; his sons, William and Ryan and his grandchildren Cailyn and Aidan. He is also survived by his brother Tim, his sister Bonnie and brother-in-law George Stanley. He was especially proud of his extended family including his daughters-in-law, Amy (Tuffs) Murray and Kathy Stokes.

Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame biography:

Bill’s Drum Corps experience started in 1958 as a snare drummer with the Vern Acklin Cavaliers. Upon completing 2 years of competition with them he moved on to the Pittsburgh Rockets in 1960 and stayed with them til 1965. He became the percussion arranger and instructor for the Cleveland Cavaliers for a period of 3 years. Bill has also served the Drum Corps activity as a percussion judge in both the All-American Judges Association and the National Judges Association.

Bill is a Charter Lifetime member of the Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

I met Bill Murray several years ago, when he was toying with the idea of joining the Cabs Alumni. He asked if I would send him some of the music which I did. Unfortunately, the long trip he would have to make to rehearsals proved to be too daunting, so Bill never came on board with us. However, we became friendly, since he was a long-time admirer of the Caballeros, the Cabs Alumni corps, and our drum section. Several times when he was at shows where we appeared, Bill would come around to say hello afterwards and compliment us on our performance. He had several friends in the corps, and I think he sometimes regretted he never made the decision to play with us for even one year.

Bil was a true gentleman and a terrific drummer. I wish I had gotten to know him better and been able to play in a section with him. I am saddened to hear of his passing, and extend my condolences to his family and drum corps friends. God rest his soul.

I'd like to offer some personal comments about the passing of Mr. Bill Murray, as reported here recently:

WILLIAM "BILL" C. MURRAY

Of Greensburg, PA, passed on July 17, 2010, at the age of 68. Born in Buffalo, NY to parents, William Murray and Olga Ezyk. Bill moved to Western Pennsylvania at an early age, grew up in the New Kensington area and eventually graduated form Ken High School in 1960. Bill Married Gail (Solomon) Murray, who passed in 1995, and together had two sons, Bill (43) and Ryan (34). Bill went on to marry Michele Essey Murray in October 1999 and together became the center of the Murray family. Michele was at his side at the time of his passing. Bill was an accomplished businessman. He owned and operated Century Medical Systems which provided X-Ray services to doctors and hospitals in the tri-state area. His work in this field earned him numerous awards and accolades within the medical and business communities. He was a avid drummer and baseball player in school and carried those passions with him to this very day. Bill marched with several drum and bugle corps throughout his life and was a well respected musician and composer within that community. He was often invited to play as a "guest drummer" with some of the most prestigious drum and bugle corps in the nation. His other passions included model railroading amassing quite the collection of Lionel trains over the years. His other passion - his twin grandchildren Cailyn and Aidan (9). He is survived by his wife Michele Essey Murray; his sons, William and Ryan and his grandchildren Cailyn and Aidan. He is also survived by his brother Tim, his sister Bonnie and brother-in-law George Stanley. He was especially proud of his extended family including his daughters-in-law, Amy (Tuffs) Murray and Kathy Stokes.

Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame biography:

Bill’s Drum Corps experience started in 1958 as a snare drummer with the Vern Acklin Cavaliers. Upon completing 2 years of competition with them he moved on to the Pittsburgh Rockets in 1960 and stayed with them til 1965. He became the percussion arranger and instructor for the Cleveland Cavaliers for a period of 3 years. Bill has also served the Drum Corps activity as a percussion judge in both the All-American Judges Association and the National Judges Association.

Bill is a Charter Lifetime member of the Pennsylvania Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

I met Bill Murray several years ago, when he was toying with the idea of joining the Cabs Alumni. He asked if I would send him some of the music which I did. Unfortunately, the long trip he would have to make to rehearsals proved to be too daunting, so Bill never came on board with us. However, we became friendly, since he was a long-time admirer of the Caballeros, the Cabs Alumni corps, and our drum section. Several times when he was at shows where we appeared, Bill would come around to say hello afterwards and compliment us on our performance. He had several friends in the corps, and I think he sometimes regretted he never made the decision to play with us for even one year.

Bil was a true gentleman and a terrific drummer. I wish I had gotten to know him better and been able to play in a section with him. I am saddened to hear of his passing, and extend my condolences to his family and drum corps friends. God rest his soul.

My sincere condolences to the Murray Family. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

• 2 weeks later...
scott this thread was started for anyone who wanted to pay tribute to somebody. this was a great tribute to your mom. she must have been one of the " GREATS " she was your mom after all! :tongue:

Janet certainly was a great Lady. She was SO proud of Scott and all "us kids" in the corps. And I loved that she ALWAYS had something positive to say about ALL the competing corps and words of encouragement to see us through the rough times.

• 2 months later...

Ted was the music arranger for Canada's Marching Ambassadors as well as a member of the CJA.

KEY, Edward Lewis - August 5, 1939 -- October 7, 2010

After a long and hard fought battle with cancer, Ted Key passed away peacefully with his loving wife Jean, of 36 years, at his side. Ted leaves behind his sons Teddy and Andrew (Katlyn) and his two adored grandsons, Ryan and Jordan. Ted was predeceased by his mother Daisy Key (Loveridge) and his father Edward Key. Aside from his devotion to his family, Ted had 3 other passions. He loved music. He had a long and successful career as a music teacher with the TDSB at Parkway Vocational School, Brockton High School and Danforth Technical School. He was an excellent teacher who used enthusiasm and humour to bring out the best in his students. For many years, Ted was a member of the Canadian Judges Association which adjudicated marching bands in Canada and the United States. Ted was also the Musical Director for the DCAT chorus which put on many successful performances in the GTA. Ted was a proud member of Remembrance Masonic Lodge and the Scottish Rite. Finally, Ted loved his cottage at Dickey Lake. It was his refuge and his castle. He loved to put on lavish dinner parties for his friends and neighbours. He could tell a good joke. Ted was a Director and President of Shawano Ratepayers for many years. His family would like to thank the medical staff at Sunnybrook Hospital for their care and compassion during this difficult time. He was a terrific husband, a great Dad and an indulgent grandfather. He will be sorely missed.

He also enjoyed a post contest party