Can this happen?

I believe that the modern "VK" is legally 'VK' as opposed to the Velvet Knights, for tax purposes and the like. They cant compare to the old VK though, and I dont believe they are trying. IMHO Jersey Surf and Impulse kept up the legacy VK left.

I also understand that there is work to bring back the Kingsmen.

Chuck Norris became the greatest mix martial artist of our time, because he knew when to quit - keeping his undefeated record. Personnaly I believe new corps attempting to bank of of a long dead corps name are doing more to tarnish the name, and get quick buck/support out of alumni. We need new and relevant corps. So Cal is a prim example, nearly 3 new corps in as many years. Incognito, and Music City off the top of my head!

</soapbox>

One also has to take into account though, that regardless of name, any new corps will have to enter in Open class and survive in open class for at least two years before DCI will even consider evaluating them for World. Star 86 will never happen again.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star was founded in fall of 84' and competed for the first time in 85'. Agreed. The perfect storm of talent, resources and instruction will very likely never come together in today's DC environment to allow a corps to make finals in their first season.

I also agree with the idea of tarnishing a previous history. Additionally it seems that it is tough enough to get a new corps running without saddling yourself with the expectations from a previous history. When a group of us Star Alums got together and decided to make DCA Minicorps, we chose to create a new name and have tried to develop a similar, yet different personality. Our roots show, but we are a new animal. It is actually kind of liberating to be able to do what you want, but also satisfying that everyone can still see the connection with our past. I think a similar approach would benefit others considering such a project.

I believe that the modern "VK" is legally 'VK' as opposed to the Velvet Knights, for tax purposes and the like. They cant compare to the old VK though, and I dont believe they are trying. IMHO Jersey Surf and Impulse kept up the legacy VK left.

I also understand that there is work to bring back the Kingsmen.

Chuck Norris became the greatest mix martial artist of our time, because he knew when to quit - keeping his undefeated record. Personnaly I believe new corps attempting to bank of of a long dead corps name are doing more to tarnish the name, and get quick buck/support out of alumni. We need new and relevant corps. So Cal is a prim example, nearly 3 new corps in as many years. Incognito, and Music City off the top of my head!

</soapbox>

One also has to take into account though, that regardless of name, any new corps will have to enter in Open class and survive in open class for at least two years before DCI will even consider evaluating them for World. Star 86 will never happen again.

From all the problems they are having, don't hold your breath for a junior Corps.

-G

I seem to remember that the Kingsmen already came back as a junior corps in 1985 (played the new Olympic theme I believe).

They were rather good and it was unfortunate that they did not continue to compete.

I have often wished for the return of many of my favorite corps (no slight to others).

1. Bridgemen

2. 27th Lancers

3. Suncoast Sound

4. Velvet Knights (not VK - what can I say I am alumni of the 1st 2 finals years)

5. Freelancers

I seem to remember that the Kingsmen already came back as a junior corps in 1985 (played the new Olympic theme I believe).

They were rather good and it was unfortunate that they did not continue to compete.

I have often wished for the return of many of my favorite corps (no slight to others).

1. Bridgemen

2. 27th Lancers

3. Suncoast Sound

4. Velvet Knights (not VK - what can I say I am alumni of the 1st 2 finals years)

5. Freelancers

Kmen were there in '84 too, they played the same closer as VK. Bridgemen are back as an alumni corps, VK is back, but at the OC/ Class A level...for now. SS came back out in the early '90s as a Div. III/ Class A corps and died after that. Lancers did their alumni thing and morphed into Light Brigade, which just died last year. The "other" lancers just went inactive, but have an active alumni corps, separate from their bingo ops.