Allentown Arena

sjm02 said: First, regarding endings...Crown's is so blatantly unresolved that I wonder if that's the intent...at least unless the judges tell them otherwise. It stops just before the final few notes of a motif that's repeated throughout the Mahler segments of the show. Why do I think this might be true? As Michael Klesch explained before their first run, the show is basically about the question - what would I do differently if I could do ____ over again? For most of the last few years, Crown has ended with super long, resolved chords...so what if they had done it differently and ended before the resolution? This might not be the ending that makes it to finals, but they could be throwing it out there to see what the judges think. But this is just a guess...

I think that if Crown wants to know what would they do differently if they had to " do it all over again " ( as you said ), I would have gone with a different uniforms, color coordination, plumes, yellow brass,etc.

I think visually they look pretty hideous and too bandish for my tastes off these pics. However, to be fair to them, this opinion is coming from these posted pics. Perhaps seen live, they are not quite a crowning mistake for them.

I want to be clear, I do not have any "insider info" on the uniforms, or the show just a possible consideration for my fellow DCPers. SJM02 is right (IMO) it's a "what if I could/would do something over or differently what would I do" It's open for each person to be moved by the music and fill in the blanks for themselves.

Now for me I see it as a love story. The sec2nd chance logo where the c and the 2 meet looks like an abstract heart to me. The horns and guard dance the Tango, which everyone knows is the dance of LOVE. The color palette is sepia, (this explains the brass horns and brownish tones) which is reminisce of old pictures, looking back through old pictures/photographs and remembering love lost. And finally, the uniform style, is 1/2 modern and 1/2 of yester-year. The brass vests look like 1/2 of a tux or jacket of a well dressed man of the times. The guard is a beautiful blend of the modern guard uniform and the old (some members have skirts some have tops) yester-year look to the fabric. When the brass and guard dance the Tango, there are a few moments when their poses are like snap-shots, you can see the gentleman's jacket and the ladies skirt, as they dance, a love lost and remembered when looking at old photographs. That probably makes no sense, but I think it's absolutely brilliant.

sjm02 said: First, regarding endings...Crown's is so blatantly unresolved that I wonder if that's the intent...at least unless the judges tell them otherwise. It stops just before the final few notes of a motif that's repeated throughout the Mahler segments of the show. Why do I think this might be true? As Michael Klesch explained before their first run, the show is basically about the question - what would I do differently if I could do ____ over again? For most of the last few years, Crown has ended with super long, resolved chords...so what if they had done it differently and ended before the resolution? This might not be the ending that makes it to finals, but they could be throwing it out there to see what the judges think. But this is just a guess...

I want to be clear, I do not have any "insider info" on the uniforms, or the show just a possible consideration for my fellow DCPers. SJM02 is right (IMO) it's a "what if I could/would do something over or differently what would I do" It's open for each person to be moved by the music and fill in the blanks for themselves.

Now for me I see it as a love story. The sec2nd chance logo where the c and the 2 meet looks like an abstract heart to me. The horns and guard dance the Tango, which everyone knows is the dance of LOVE. The color palette is sepia, (this explains the brass horns and brownish tones) which is reminisce of old pictures, looking back through old pictures/photographs and remembering love lost. And finally, the uniform style, is 1/2 modern and 1/2 of yester-year. The brass vests look like 1/2 of a tux or jacket of a well dressed man of the times. The guard is a beautiful blend of the modern guard uniform and the old (some members have skirts some have tops) yester-year look to the fabric. When the brass and guard dance the Tango, there are a few moments when their poses are like snap-shots, you can see the gentleman's jacket and the ladies skirt, as they dance, a love lost and remembered when looking at old photographs. That probably makes no sense, but I think it's absolutely brilliant.

How beautifully you said that! :devil::devil::thumbup:

Thanks!

This I believe........

I haven't read this entire thread but figured I'd throw in my two sense any way.

Cavaliers show was interesting a creative, at least when judged against last years show (which I only saw at Championships). The music selections are excellent, although there seems to be a good bit of repetition in the latter have of the show. Once again, visuals/drill will be their strong point. I thought their brass sounded really good... until Crown came out.

Let me just say that I have loved Crown's shows for the past 6 years now. I cannot say that I was very drawn to their show last night. I didn't find it as entertaining as the last few years have been... however, there certainly is a lot of room to grow. Once again, they are performing some abstract visuals a la Star. I thought the uniforms were ugly, but they grew on me as the night went on. Danzon!!!!! :devil::thumbup: :thumbup: :tongue: was great. The end of the show was a tad bizarre, but I'm sure they plan to change it. Their brass is certainly up to par, and I look forward to seeing how this show evolves throughout the season (although I'm not sure I'll be able to attend any more shows :devil:

I have not walked away from a Cadets show feeling satisfied since 2005. BUT I LOVE THEIR SHOW!!!! It was kind of childish, but wildly entertaining... really, it was the only show that I wanted to see a second time through. However, I do not feel like the show has as much room to grow as the other two I saw last night-- aside from some more drill at the end. The drill they have on the field now looks to be very challenging and when it is cleaner it is going to be very impressive. To my untrained ear, their brass sounded right up their with Crowns in the first run through (although Crown had phasing issues), and not quite as close in during the second run.

After seeing both run throughs, I was expecting Cadets to win, but it was certainly going to be close between Cadets and Crown.

As far as the format, I really enjoyed it. The guy at the ticket booth gave my friends and I a "student" discount, so we got 50 yard line, row 12 tickets for $11.50! I was expecting them to perform, explain, perform, but they actually explained the shows before hand.

The time between corps was way to long, as was intermission (close to 40 minutes by my watch). Since we were front and center for the first run, we went to sit up top the second time so as to better observe drill.

I thought this was a great opportunity and would definitely attend one of these events in the future.

Please take this stuff to the G7 discussion or you will derail every thread this season. These fans simply want to discuss their favorite corps and how they did at the particular performance. Not that it isn't relevent and you always explain your position very well, but it's too emotional and will derail the discusson every time.

This is a thread about the Allentown event. Any noteworthy happenings at that event are worthy of discussion, including attendance far greater/lesser than expected, surprising point spreads, or one's preference for horn lacquer under Allentown stadium lights. We don't purge these things into separate subforums for G7, point spreads and horn-lacquer-under-Allentown-lighting.

But don't fret....there are no more G7-only shows this season, so there will be no more opportunity to "derail threads".

For future reference, though....if attendance at a 2010 event is much larger than expected, will you object to me commenting on it in the show thread?

attendance far greater/lesser than expected

What kind of attendance was expected for the first show of the year with only 3 corps?

For future reference, though....if attendance at a 2010 event is much larger than expected, will you object to me commenting on it in the show thread?

You probably won't comment on it unless it fits your anti-G7 narrative.

I was searching for a pic to illustrate my theory but I now realize I didn't take a single pic during Nimrod (#### that was amazing). Anyway during long sections of Nimrod the brass is into and out of the ground playing one-handed. Sorry -- big fail on the lack of pictures.

Any here's a pic from Danzon :)

P1050527.JPG

Drum Majors

P1050734.JPG

Brass and Guard

P1050455.JPG

I REALLY like the guard uniforms. Not as hot on the brass and drum major uniforms, but I will say that they do look better in person than the pictures. The uniforms they had a few years back were awesome. I would love to see those again.

I ended up going to the show, got there as the Cavies were in the middle of their first run through.

My seats were a little low for my taste but I noticed people were sitting in the top deck so I went back to the ticket booth to see if I could get some of those.

I was told that they weren't for sale- the top deck was "closed" and only open for corps staff. But there were easily 50 people sitting up there. Basically noone was monitoring where people sat so people sat where ever they wanted. It was a comfortable night but the seating is tight so people really spread out. By the end of the evening I'd say the number of people in the top deck tripled.

Considering the Upper deck is only slightly smaller than many high school stands I guess I have to say it was actually a decent sized crowd but because the stadium is SO big it looked pretty sparse in some areas and the far sides basically empty...but I know I certainly wasn't expecting a DCI East type crowd...I imagine that Hopkins and proponents of the show must be pleased with themselves.

I have to admit it was nice to be in the stadium when it's not packed...it felt kind of intimate and special. Especially knowing it was the first show of the season and I was seeing what hadn't been seen yet with only 1,500ish folks...it was pretty cool.

The question and answer questions sounded like they were written by kids and there were a bunch of them near my original seat so even though they weren't necessarily satisfying to MY interests it was probably a great experience for many youth (which is who we need to get and keep engaged!) The encore was not the clarity and sound I would have hoped from 3 monster brass lines but it was still very cool to see them all together and the patriotic song fit well with the honoring of the veterans earlier in the evening.

Yes, the announcers were hard to hear and the t-shirt slinging felt like being at a college football game but if a similar show runs next year I will definitely go back...regardless of the corps. :-)