DCI,1993 Star and Carolina Crown 200? and...

This has to be the funniest thing I've ever saw. Priceless.

That is exactly how I felt in 92.

No kidding....after loving '90 and '91, I was in for a rude awakening of sorts coming into SOI in '92. Definitely NOT the kind of thing that made me go there. '93 definitely made up for it, though. I couldn't have asked for anything better - and I was beyond thrilled to perform a show with some serious musical integrity vs. a series of count sequences "composed" (designed?) for purely visual purposes.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...pretty amazing responses...one last thought...as far as understating the changes that went on before 80-95...I didnt mean to minimize those changes...my point was that they were minor tremors that lead up to the earthquake...in alot of ways...I too agree that Suncoast Sound pushed the limits...but I doubt that show would place as high technically 5-10-15 years later...anyway...as far as 1-2-3 valve bugles pit, drums colorguard ad nauseum...those changes made the most since a nautral progression of what music was...C'mon to say the pit shouldnt be there is ascinine..if it's there in broadway or an orchestra that's a natural progression... to me...but some things have gone IMHO too far left...woodwinds...body movement etc...I am not nockin it...just saying it's just not my taste anymore...as a member of 89 Cadets we had body movement in Les Mis...but it was there to tell apart of the story...now it just seems to be there all the time...I love SCV body movement in the 80's...now...not so much...the Cavies when they did the show "the machine"...I mean seriously...that was AWESOME(now their musical attacks and body stability(just kidding)...but it's kind of like "scatter" drill...Loved it and it used to be there for a reason...to make a statement...now its just there because we can do it...that drill was meant to convey chaos into resolution...ie 85 Cadets...87 and 89 in On my Own...now you can't go thru a drill without seeing it come out of nowhere with no real meaning for the show...anyway... I REALLY enjoy all you r thoughts and views.

So agree...especially about the arbitrariness of things such as body movement...It should be used if it's appropriate...not just because we have to use ever tool in the toolbox. If I had any regret about '93 is that it seems that so many corps afterwards seemed to feel compelled to use it even if it did add-to or convey any ideas.

So agree...especially about the arbitrariness of things such as body movement...It should be used if it's appropriate...not just because we have to use ever tool in the toolbox. If I had any regret about '93 is that it seems that so many corps afterwards seemed to feel compelled to use it even if it did add-to or convey any ideas.

EXACTLY! There are unfortunately, too few examples of tasteful/meaningful use of body movement. It's normally added in as bells and whistles with little regard. Oddly enough, it even manifested itself in the battery. Numerous drumlines started "monkey drumming" as a visual effect after '93. We were actually simply playing from that height....it wasn't really a "visual"at all....the music was its own visual.

Oh God, I didn't want to comment on this thread, but you are so far from the truth on some of your assertions that I feel compelled to rebut and clarify. I could make this really long, but in short, '93 was NOT about the judges for us. If it was, we would NOT have taken as many chances as we did.

[ahhh heck, I'm rolling...this is going to be long] [/oops]

If anything, the body movement in particular very likely cost us a championship instead of earning us a shot at one. It's very hard to make that stuff as clean as marching. If the judging community was ready to evaluate it, then they wouldn't have hired our visual coordinator Phillip Burton to give them a workshop on the subject in '94. All it takes is one judge who is viscerally opposed to something different like body movement or no "ballz loud moments" until the midway point, for your one shot to be blown out of the water.

YUP.

Semifinals - 9.8 Field Vis

Finals - 9.3 Field Vis.

And that's the ballgame folks.

Same if it had all been all Land of Make Believe/Malaguena/Bolero...AKA "Hooked On Classics Muzak."

I disagree. Stuff more people know/can "get" = more tickets sold to the general public. Folks from the general public attend Broadway shows.

Music from, say, "Grease" or "Bye-Bye Birdie" might be considered too "lowbrow" or "trivial" for a number of drum corps/marching music fans..... but those two shows have sold a boatload of tickets on Broadway, in their original runs and their "revival" runs.

If I'm a Broadway producer, I'll take my chances with a full show of Land of Make Believe/Malaguena/etc. over a full show of Medea or "undiscovered this or that" any day of the week.

With matinees on Wednesday and Saturday. :sad:

Edited by Fran Haring

If I'm a Broadway producer, I'll take my chances with a full show of Land of Make Believe/Malaguena/etc. over a full show of Medea or "undiscovered this or that" any day of the week.

I'd go with a mixture of both like they did. Worked out well.

I'd go with a mixture of both like they did. Worked out well.

Yes, it did.... very well. The Medea segment was terrific.... the way it was staged, the lighting effects, the performance itself.

But a full show of stuff like that, in a venue like that.... forget about it.

Edited by Fran Haring