Horn finish and sound

In Irving's wonderful update post on the CCC show, a question begs...

Does the finish of Crown's horns change the sound of the horns? Does it make it somehow lusher?

Hoping some smart horn folks will add their two cents...no wait this is DCP...here's how I should frame the question to get lots of opinions...

The finish of Crown's horns DEFINITELY changes their sound to be more lush, warm, and enticing than ANYONE else on the field! In fact, I would say it's an unfair advantage because Crown can afford the new horns and the "Will the kids eat today?" corps can't compete. Crown should be made to buy new horns for EVERY corps!

You can't possibly disagree that the new finish makes the sound warmer and lusher!

(How's that? Are the fish biting?)

(Now where's that sarcasm emoticon...)

In Irving's wonderful update post on the CCC show, a question begs...

Does the finish of Crown's horns change the sound of the horns? Does it make it somehow lusher?

Hoping some smart horn folks will add their two cents...no wait this is DCP...here's how I should frame the question to get lots of opinions...

The finish of Crown's horns DEFINITELY changes their sound to be more lush, warm, and enticing than ANYONE else on the field! In fact, I would say it's an unfair advantage because Crown can afford the new horns and the "Will the kids eat today?" corps can't compete. Crown should be made to buy new horns for EVERY corps!

You can't possibly disagree that the new finish makes the sound warmer and lusher!

(How's that? Are the fish biting?)

(Now where's that sarcasm emoticon...)

LMAO :tongue::devil::thumbup::devil::thumbup:

The finish can have an effect on brass sound like it can in a drum. In the old days, chrome plated horns were sometimes nicknamed "chrome rippers" because of the VERY bright tone they produced. Silver was a lot warmer and easier to deal with.

It's been a long time since we've had a top brass line with brass laquered horns...should be interesting.

From what I have heard/read, silver is generally slightly brighter than gold, but the difference is almost imperceivable. So yes, the gold could be making Crown's horns darker/warmer/more lush sounding, but with a slight loss of projection.

Of' course, I'm not really sure if it is a gold lacquer or just a clear lacquer over the actual brass color... does anyone know? A clear lacquer would actually have the darkest sound because it is not as thick as colored plating. Generally the thinner the walls of the instrument, the darker the sound.... I might be wrong in this case, though.

Edited by Tez

Hey guys ...

I heard from a pretty reliable source the other day that the gold horns might have been made possible by a sponsorship from 20th century fox as a promotion for the new a-team movie coming out this summer.

The-A-Team-tv-09.jpg

I imagine crown has got to be loving it when a plan comes together!!!

there are factors such as mouthpieces and bore sizes that can changes the tonality far more than finish.

They just have a great fundamental brass sound.

there are factors such as mouthpieces and bore sizes that can changes the tonality far more than finish.

They just have a great fundamental brass sound.

Yes, mouthpieces and bore sizes do affect the sound, but the finish probably affects it the most. I know a college horn player (who played in the South Park soundtrack) that bought a new Holton horn and immediately scraped all of the lacquer off because of the darker sound it provided.

And while all of these things affect Crown's sound, Michael Klesch's BRILLIANT arranging style has a dramatic impact too.

Edited by cmathis

Personally, I think the effect of finish on the brightness of sound is more psychological than audible. I think mouthpiece, bore, and playing technique determine tone color more than horn finish. But it's hard to convince others who are sure it's the other way around on this. It's more of an agree-to-disagree thing, IMO.

Another finish should not have any impact, as much as mouthpieces will. I'm more curious about how the lacquer (if it's lacquer) will keep its condition trough the season. My own experience says silver plate is better, but norwegian brass bands never use gloves. . .