Carolina Crown MMX

not to mention setting the mood and (eventually) setting up the storyline. besides the impact after the announcer is worth waiting for :)

I'm all for setting the mood and some corps have done it well in the past. I just don't think you need to play a whole piece before your judged. I'm not wasting time cleaning something that is happening before the gun fires.

I'm all for setting the mood and some corps have done it well in the past. I just don't think you need to play a whole piece before your judged. I'm not wasting time cleaning something that is happening before the gun fires.

They "wasted time" with all the "Promise of Living" preshow stuff last year and seemed to do alright.

Edit: and really, the preshow is an excuse to be a little dirty/less than perfect on something while still achieving the affect. They don't have to spend an amazing amount of time cleaning because they just have to make sure it's presentable. There won't be a judge standing right in front of their bells judging every attack, release, accent, etc.

Edited by liebot

They "wasted time" with all the "Promise of Living" preshow stuff last year and seemed to do alright.

I wondered the same thing last year. Seems like most of you like it and I am in the Minority. That's not unusual. Carry on.

So yeah I listened to the show a couple of times...on FN..

Man those 2 16th note hits in the intro and the end of their run. The Tubas are voiced really high.. Sounds like an F in the middle of the staff. I know the arranger is notorious for voicing them high but that seems like a bit much. I can clearly hear they are having a little bit of an issue with note length and centering the notes.. But I guess that is where they get their volume from.

Oh and did i say that I cant wait for the resolution of the show..

Last year was definitely the Year That Killed Preshows for me, since practically everybody did one. Crown's was one of the better ones, since they gave the audience an extra couple min of an outstanding brass section. But this year, I'm kind of longing for someone to just come out, stand at attention, and wait for the DM's salute!

I mean, are you really opposed to the idea of getting more drum corps than you usually would? This isn't like Cavies' or Cadets' (the only two other shows I've seen so far) pre-shows where it's just a bunch of nonsensical synth stuff and characterization. They're giving you an extra two minutes of great horn sound. Is it that big of an issue?

Edited by liebot

I mean, are you really opposed to the idea of getting more drum corps than you usually would? This isn't like Cavies' or Cadets' (the only two other shows I've seen so far) pre-shows where it's just a bunch of nonsensical synth stuff and characterization. They're giving you an extra two minutes of great horn sound. Is it that big of an issue?

I like Cavies preshow better. It sets the theme without marching and playing a whole piece. I guess my point is as a person sitting in the stands it ruins the show for me. I'm liking most of the show, but that turns me off and I find myself wanting to go get a hot dog during it.