Carolina Crown MMX

Actually, they've already tuned and warmed up in the lot. All the corps do...

You'll never see any adjustments made on the fly at this point of a performance.

Most of the on the field "warmups" are for show and to get the crowd excited.

Yeah, it's nice extra bit of warmup for the body and horns that also sets up the show and alleviates audience boredom.

Good stuff from Crown. I love the pre-show.

It's not the ending. It was never meant to be the ending, either - staff has said that there's still about a minute of music left in the show. Apparently they've had it on the field this entire time, but it just wasn't at the same level as the rest of the show.

No.

What was said is that have it on the field now and the whole time, but they wanted the guard to have it under their belts for 2 weeks before performing it in a show.

The guy answering questions at the Chesapeake (I think it was Klesh) said that last year the guard was always trying to play catchup. This year the staff is going to give them time to catch up.

Yeah, it's nice extra bit of warmup for the body and horns that also sets up the show and alleviates audience boredom.

Good stuff from Crown. I love the pre-show.

It's very good. I'm pretty happy with the shows this year, especially Crown's hornline!!!

Friday lookin good, though. Looks like beautiful weather for the show.

does anyone know if the closer music is in the preseason recordings?

Nope, its what was put on the field initially so its basically the same as the Ft. Mill video.

Nope, its what was put on the field initially so its basically the same as the Ft. Mill video.

Oh darn. I was hoping to hear what it sounds like. Hopefully they'll have the show finished for the Normal show :sad:

Watched the video tonight.

First off, the preshow is amazing - it's visually intense and musically subdued, which is an awesome (and intimidating) contrast - it sets a great deal of tension before the show's even started. The first half of the show was incredible for me. I thought the brass line was going to leave scorch marks on the field. Danzon was a unique take on the piece - I never thought you could shoehorn a drum feature into the beginning of it, but they made it sound natural (if a little unpolished at this point). Nimrod - yeah, it is what you expect, in a good way. However, the closer *really* fizzled for me. Especially with the buildup to a visual moment to cap off the show - I was hoping for some sort of musical payoff. From reading here, I'll be curious to hear how they change it - it very much reminds me of the Cavaliers 2001 show (Four Corners) - it needs that restatement of the funky part (in this case Danzon) in the ending to make it sound "right."

Overall, I think they're going to finish top 2 again, though right now I'd say 2nd. But, this is, what, day 3? Yeah, we've got a long way to go, and I think while Crown may be presenting fairly traditional "drum corps" type music, they're redefining what horn players are expected to do while they play it!

Mike

However, the closer *really* fizzled for me. Especially with the buildup to a visual moment to cap off the show - I was hoping for some sort of musical payoff. From reading here, I'll be curious to hear how they change it - it very much reminds me of the Cavaliers 2001 show (Four Corners) - it needs that restatement of the funky part (in this case Danzon) in the ending to make it sound "right."

Clearly there's a build to a moment that's not realized. I haven't heard Crown play the ending yet but based on what I *have* heard I fully expect the ending to very satisfying.

Yeah, we've got a long way to go, and I think while Crown may be presenting fairly traditional "drum corps" type music, they're redefining what horn players are expected to do while they play it!

Well spoken. Their musical choices might seem conservative sometimes but I think that's because they are absolutely determined to be musically accessible to the audience. I think M. Klesch also does a wonderful job of translating music to work on the field without destroying it's original character.

As for the redefining...IMHO you're dead accurate here. The visual demand *while playing fantastically well * are IMHO unique to Crown.

Oh yeah.... honk !