Cadets (Spartanburg, SC)

Ok I’m not going to short change the drivers; it wasn’t 400 miles it was 405 miles. That followed the evening before also a very long ride to our housing site in Spartanburg, SC. Upon arriving at our housing site this is where the drivers can get a bit touchy because they’re tired from driving all night; but also because the kids want to get off the buses and steal whatever floor time they can get and the admin staff has to orchestrate this with the highest of sensitivity so nothing or no one gets blown out of proportion. With that being said we did manage to get out of the parking lot last night in Chesapeake, VA and got on the road close to the scheduled departing time of 11:15 pm. There were two pits stops scheduled the first just on the borderline of Virginia and North Carolina and the second just before entering South Carolina. Let me say those pits stops are like treasure islands to the drivers, yes we have to gas up the vehicles, but the pit stops give us a chance stretch our legs, get a cup of coffee, and go to men’s room. All of this refreshes us enough where we can get back in our vehicles to continue the drive. We did finally arrive a little after 7:00 am at Spartanburg High School a beautiful facility with an astro-turf field for the kids. Those long rides do nothing but shorten a day of rehearsal. Tonight we leave the double performance format because of additional corps competing.

Oh you wanted me say something about the show last night. Crown is very good and getting rewarded for that, The Cadets don’t concern themselves with the score they take care of what they can which is to practice and get better, and please drop all the nonsense about the Cavies in trouble, they are just fine with a show that will develop to where the audience will be leaping out of their seats. I still say the Cadets have the most potential with their show. Let’s see what happens.

We’ve been on the road since Thursday, June 15 and the Cadets hit the jack pot with the buses they have this year along with the nicest drivers. Couple that with a crew of volunteers, an admin staff that is proficient in taking care of the corps and the volunteers and you have a happy bunch of people. We’re about 80 miles from the stadium so we need to be packed and out of here by 5:00ish (forget the exact time). So far all is going well and let’s see what tonight brings. I’m still loving this show Toy Souldier. Its time for a nap.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Again, thanks, and I love these road updates.

80 miles from the stadium?! Holy moly!

Thanks for the updates!! There are a lot of us out here who love what we've seen of the show so far. Keep up the hard work!!

yeah that's crazy. there are only 7 corps and alliance is commuting. maybe the band dir there is a FMM.

Corps are having to stay way to far from performance sites. it is aweful that schools are being so particular about allowing an educational group to spend 12 hours on their campus. Seems to me that it would be a great educational experience for the band programs to watch a corps set up and rehearse and then perform. BTW, what is a FMM?

I'm really glad that the kids have great facilities, great food, and nice buses with a/c. It's a FAR departure from the days of yore. Star had it right the first time!! SO glad conditions have improved!

Hope all of the corps have a great run tonight!

Ok I’m not going to short change the drivers; it wasn’t 400 miles it was 405 miles. That followed the evening before also a very long ride to our housing site in Spartanburg, SC. Upon arriving at our housing site this is where the drivers can get a bit touchy because they’re tired from driving all night; but also because the kids want to get off the buses and steal whatever floor time they can get and the admin staff has to orchestrate this with the highest of sensitivity so nothing or no one gets blown out of proportion. With that being said we did manage to get out of the parking lot last night in Chesapeake, VA and got on the road close to the scheduled departing time of 11:15 pm. There were two pits stops scheduled the first just on the borderline of Virginia and North Carolina and the second just before entering South Carolina. Let me say those pits stops are like treasure islands to the drivers, yes we have to gas up the vehicles, but the pit stops give us a chance stretch our legs, get a cup of coffee, and go to men’s room. All of this refreshes us enough where we can get back in our vehicles to continue the drive. We did finally arrive a little after 7:00 am at Spartanburg High School a beautiful facility with an astro-turf field for the kids. Those long rides do nothing but shorten a day of rehearsal. Tonight we leave the double performance format because of additional corps competing.

Oh you wanted me say something about the show last night. Crown is very good and getting rewarded for that, The Cadets don’t concern themselves with the score they take care of what they can which is to practice and get better, and please drop all the nonsense about the Cavies in trouble, they are just fine with a show that will develop to where the audience will be leaping out of their seats. I still say the Cadets have the most potential with their show. Let’s see what happens.

We’ve been on the road since Thursday, June 15 and the Cadets hit the jack pot with the buses they have this year along with the nicest drivers. Couple that with a crew of volunteers, an admin staff that is proficient in taking care of the corps and the volunteers and you have a happy bunch of people. We’re about 80 miles from the stadium so we need to be packed and out of here by 5:00ish (forget the exact time). So far all is going well and let’s see what tonight brings. I’m still loving this show Toy Souldier. Its time for a nap.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

It is an absolute scorcher today! With no shade any where. The kids are practicing on turf so staff is very conscious of keeping them hydrated. I really enjoy talking with the parents as they point out which child (ok, young adult) is there and what instrument they play. When I marched I remember just how supportive my parents were and I see that same love and support today.

After two nights of long drives I didn’t see much of the other drivers, I’m sure they did the same thing I did….sleep. The food crew has prepared an amazing dinner for us all before we get ready to take off for the show. I haven’t seen the driving itinerary (yet) but I hear it’s a rather short, well short considering the last two nights, drive to W. Virginia.

I was able to catch ensemble rehearsal today and the Cadets are getting better.

Irving

Fan of the Arts