Bill Cook in new book

I started "The River Runs Cold" last night after hearing about the story on NPR last week. The book is by Michael Koryta and is a suspense thriller based in French Lick and West Bayden, Indiana. Two resort hotels closed during prohibition. Cook's name is mentioned in Chapters 5 and 6 so I get up this Father's Day morning and do some research.

West Bayden and French Lick Resorts

I started "The River Runs Cold" last night after hearing about the story on NPR last week. The book is by Michael Koryta and is a suspense thriller based in French Lick and West Bayden, Indiana. Two resort hotels closed during prohibition. Cook's name is mentioned in Chapters 5 and 6 so I get up this Father's Day morning and do some research.

West Bayden and French Lick Resorts

Tom, .... do you want to guess what famous celebrity came from the small town of French Lick, Indiana ?

Larry Bird, I think.

Give the man a cigar. Right you are.

When Bird got to Indiana campus his first week after verballing to Bobby Knight, he needed a suit jacket and tie to go to a function at the school. He didn't have one. He felt out of place, he wrote in his book years later. He was the " hick from French Lick " as he called himself. He'd barely been more than a few miles out of town in his life. So he transferred to Indiana State. But Bird was not unintelligent. He matured and came into his own as he grew up.

Anyway, I 'd be interested in learning what this book has to say about Bill Cook, the former Director of the Star of Indiana, who was quite a man. He did a lot for that Corps, and used his considerable resources oftentimes to help other Corps in need, and oftentimes done privately, and without much fanfare too.

Edited by BRASSO

When Bird got to Indiana campus his first week after verballing to Bobby Knight, he needed a suit jacket and tie to go to a function at the school. He didn't have one. He felt out of place, he wrote in his book years later. He was the " hick from French Lick " as he called himself. He'd barely been more than a few miles out of town in his life. So he transferred to Indiana State. But Bird was not unintelligent. He matured and came into his own as he grew up.

Anyway, I 'd be interested in learning what this book has to say about Bill Cook, the former Director of the Star of Indiana, who was quite a man. He did a lot for that Corps, and used his considerable resources oftentimes to help other Corps in need, and oftentimes done privately, and without much fanfare too

Bird went to Indiana State not IU.

Anyway, I 'd be interested in learning what this book has to say about Bill Cook, the former Director of the Star of Indiana, who was quite a man. He did a lot for that Corps, and used his considerable resources oftentimes to help other Corps in need, and oftentimes done privately, and without much fanfare too.

Good post. Bird was more uneasy with his teammates than with coach Knight. To this day, Knight kicks himself for not being tuned in more to Bird, and how the team was treating him. (Remember, this was just after a great 75 season) . Bird hitchhiked back to French Lick. IMO, it's important to remember that Coach Knight has been a big supporter of Drum Corps.

Brasso, you speak of him here in the past tense. Did I miss that he died? Or were you speaking specifically about his time with Star, which certainly would be past tense.

Edited by garfield