Rio Rancho Rendezvous

Yea. Sure. Still rude.

Thick skin is a good thing on DCP my friend.

Have fun, wish I could beam myself to Rio Rancho for tonight, but no.... Lets us know your thoughts of Nimrod and the corps performances tonight after the show!!!

Wes P

Although the scores were overall pretty low I thought it was a great night of drum corps. Revolution was alright for an open class corps, still a lot of work to do. The Academy blew me away with their sound, I'm pretty sure they got first in music last night! The Troopers have an amazing beginning to their show where they all get in two long vertical lines on either side of the 50 and then starting from the back they all do a "fall-down" pushup to get their instruments. The Blue Knights had a pretty good show. I wasn't horribly impressed...yet. We'll see what they can do with it. I was really looking forward to hearing their version of Nimrod but to my dismay they played it about twice as fast as I feel it should go. I played it recently and when taken at the slower tempo it's a real tear-jerker. Well, I look forward to more drum corps action throughout the summer, peace out!

Thoughts on all the shows from tonight? First impressions?

WP

My observations (IMHO):

- Academy - Really didn't see much change from last year as their show was interesting but didn't catch my fancy. Drum line seemed to be their strength. Not sure I cared for the laying down on the field part of their show...

- Trooper - Last year when the Troopers came to town they were very impressive and you could see they were going to be the darling on the drum corps circuit (much like Madison is going to be this year). They weren't up to last year standards and no where near as clean as they were at this point last year. Somewhat disappointed but they will probably be in the running to complete for the 12th spot again. I miss the grey pants. Much potential to improve - just thought they might take it up a notch from last year but didn't see it (again - IMHO).

- Blue Knights - I was expecting another Blue Knight dark show as they have had in past years. Not the case this year. Completely changed their marching style and they are all over the field. Saw much improvement in the horn line and color guard (drum line already decent) over last year. After talking with the BK members it made sense - they picked up staff from The Cadets along with some former members. So your seeing more action on the field over past years. Definately the best of the group tonight and have the potential of breaking into or knocking on the door of the top 5.

- OVERALL - I thought the show scores were extremely low!

:tongue:

Edited by amadorj

• 12 years later...
On 6/23/2010 at 10:30 AM, trptking said:

The Blue Knights had a pretty good show. I wasn't horribly impressed...yet. We'll see what they can do with it. I was really looking forward to hearing their version of Nimrod but to my dismay they played it about twice as fast as I feel it should go. I played it recently and when taken at the slower tempo it's a real tear-jerker. 

So you're saying that BK's ballad arrangement was a...

(This joke is 12 years in the making)

Edited by kdaddy
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, kdaddy said:

So you're saying that BK's ballad arrangement was a...

(This joke is 12 years in the making)

You waited 12 years for a DCP joke. I commend you for the dedication.