Madison Scouts 2010 Cymbal Discussion

Apparently the Madison Scouts are also teaching that when the corps is criticised, fans and alumni should attack the messenger.

Fixed.

It's been interesting watching the honks trying to sweep the dirt under the rug.

Corps--meaning the folks who make the decisions--don't always do the right thing. Lamenting that fact isn't something that needs to be censored, I'm thinking. It's simply part of the shared experience of the drum corps community.

Of course, the honks obviously think attacking an honest statement of feeling is somehow going to "protect" a corps from ill feelings; seems it only makes them--and the corps, by extension--look extremely petty.

I, for one, am interested in what Madison is doing this year, the first time in ages I can say that. That the corps screwed the pooch on this one thing doesn't diminish that interest. The nonsense from the honks, however, is extremely off-putting.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who does?

If people want to criticize scouts for cutting their symbol line, that's fine with me.

If people want to criticize the way the corps handled these 4 members, then they need to get the full story. As the facts have come trickling out, it seems that the corps did indeed bend over backwards to find a way for these guys to march. So this is looking to me like sheer petulance on the part of the cymbal players. How can you claim to have been "betrayed" when you turned down a spot in the corps?

Its about the show not the fact that there were spots

I AM WITH THE OP ON THIS.

I give the guy the right to expressed that he feels wronged, YOU can't take away that feeling. The poster has every right to start a thread on any topic, it will be closed, ignored or responded to. DCP decides. I empathize with his position. Have you folks asked yourselves how you would feel if you were told your section was cut only to see ANY representation on the feild when you went to watch your corps? My emotions would mirror his.

My suggestion to Scout Honks (alumni or otherwise) is to offer support, or let the thread die. Your diatribes on scoutness etc do nothing for your point. Also, don't put words in the OP's mouth, how many times can the guy offer his rational, only to have one or two words highlighted and repeated over an over?

My suggestion to the cymbal player is to know that some have been in your position and survived, even thrived. For every opportunity that is lost, new opportunities are presented....keep your eyes open. You and your buddies will have some great stories to tell at the 20th Anniversary of making back into finals.

edit: Have you thought about offering your services to a young corps line? A guy with your skills could march inside another cymbal line and teach by example....that would be a priceless gift to aspiring cymbal players.

Great post top to bottom.

Fixed.

It's been interesting watching the honks trying to sweep the dirt under the rug.

Corps--meaning the folks who make the decisions--don't always do the right thing. Lamenting that fact isn't something that needs to be censored, I'm thinking. It's simply part of the shared experience of the drum corps community.

Of course, the honks obviously think attacking an honest statement of feeling is somehow going to "protect" a corps from ill feelings; seems it only makes them--and the corps, by extension--look extremely petty.

I, for one, am interested in what Madison is doing this year, the first time in ages I can say that. That the corps screwed the pooch on this one thing doesn't diminish that interest. The nonsense from the honks, however, is extremely off-putting.

I have to admit, this post has a certain brilliance about it. Many people attempt to post pure vitriol utterly disconnected from reality, but rarely do they succeed so well.

Honks sweeping dirt under the rug - brilliant!

Corps screwed the pooch - genius!

Unfortunately, the reality that the "honks" have brought out from under the rug is that the corps did everything they could to give 4 members a chance to march. The members chose to walk and now one of them is griping about a 30 sec cymbal feature.

But, hey, I shouldn't even be posting this, because, in the absurd logic vacuum that is DCP, any attempt to defend your corps against unfair and inaccurate criticism just makes it worse for the corps! And it make you a "honk" or a "fanboy." Sheese.

Its about the show not the fact that there were spots

Listen, if your goal was to get sympathy from madison haters, you succeeded. Not hard to accomplish. Every corps has their detractors and it only takes a whiff of impropriety for them to start circling like sharks. Nicely done!

But you were not perfectly honest yourself in hiding the fact that you were offered a spot and now trying to minimize that fact. That's shows poor character in my book.

Fixed.

The corps announced that they're not having a cymbal line and they don't have a cymbal line. Further, they offered other positions in the corps to the affected members.

But let's look at your position anyway. Corps make mistakes and also have the right to change their mind about things (not that I'm saying that happened here). And those that complain about it sometimes act "extremely petty," to use your term. I do get your logic.

Listen, if your goal was to get sympathy from madison haters, you succeeded. Not hard to accomplish. Every corps has their detractors and it only takes a whiff of impropriety for them to start circling like sharks. Nicely done!

But you were not perfectly honest yourself in hiding the fact that you were offered a spot and now trying to minimize that fact. That's shows poor character in my book.

Woah, I'm not a Madison hater, yet he got some sympathy from me. Here we go with the black and white sweeping generalizations on DCP.

Otherwise, I think many of us who have commented will agree with much of what you have said, now that more of the story is known.

I never tried to hide it, I believe I even pointed it out in one of my posts

The Madison Scouts Persecution Complex needs to be given a rest here. Not everyone here siding with the kid (or at the very least sympathizing with him) hate the Madison Scouts. And when you and others leap to your feet to advise someone like him that his words and actions might be making the corps look bad, be prepared to take that advice yourself.