Madison Scouts 2010 Cymbal Discussion

Being p.o.'d that the corps doesn't have a real cymbal line and has put cymbals in the hands of guard members is a legitimate beef, imo.

Saying that you were "lied" to and "betrayed" when you were given a chance to at least try out for another section? Not cool at all.

that's pretty much the bottom line on this subject for me.

I was told that they wouldn't be fielding cymbals and then in a way they are that's how I feel lied to and betrayed.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks: In philosophical terms the Scouts are no longer the Scouts just like Regiment is no longer Regiment. Here is what I mean: Although Dr. Dan Richardson and Dan Ferrell are still with Regiment, the corps has had a huge influx of SCV personnel lead by Valenzuela making both administrative and design decisions; and now the Scouts are going through that same type of morphing process with the influx of the Star staff and philosophies lead by Jim Mason. Whether or not those are good or bad situations for each corps is a debatable question. However, when outside people are put into decision making positions of stalwart corps, some long lasting traditions are occasionally removed from the organization because they do not fit into the philosophies of the new leadership. Point is, one cannot look to the way character is built in the Scouts today and require it to be built in the same manner as it was say under the leadership of Scott Stewart. The character of the Scouts today will be based on the leadership of the Scouts today; just like the character of Regiment today will be based on the leadership of Regiment today.

Being told that the cymbal line was being eliminated for 2010... and then seeing a cymbal line - in whatever form - on the field would certainly constitute being "lied to" in my opinion.

What would you say if a corps announced they were having a cymbal line and then it turned out to 30 secs of "guard-on-cymbals"?

Would that also be a lie?

You can't have it both ways.

But also as alumni don't we need to speak out when we feel something wrong has been done?

using the cymbal spots for a 20 man contra line is an Awesome and smart move, that coming after I viewed the fan network clip.

if guard ended up with a lager number, now at 34, again... it was a step it the right direction...

So as an Alumni I will speak up and for the brilliant design staff that put together a show without a plate line, and looks to me a shoe in for the top 12.....

Did they cut the cymbals, YES, was it the right move, looks like a huge YES.

Being told that the cymbal line was being eliminated for 2010... and then seeing a cymbal line - in whatever form - on the field would certainly constitute being "lied to" in my opinion.

So a tympani player is cut because they aren't going to have tympani in the pit anymore. But in the next season's show there is a single tympani drum next to a marimba which is played a couple of times by that marimba player. Was the tympani player lied to?

You're grasping at straws...

Edited by BigBadMadMan

This is comical. Have you seen the classless way that some old Scouts alums have carried themselves on this forum the past couple of years? And you're going to pick this guy, who has a legitimate concern/issue/complaint, and hold him up as an example of how the administration wasn't teaching the right thing? Ridiculous. A few bad apples (and I certainly wouldn't consider this guy a bad apple) does not mean the whole bunch is spoiled, and if we're being honest, it's the old alums on DCP that have been representing their corps with a lack of class.

I haven't been here in a while, but I don't doubt that what you say occurs. Show me the posts where alums air their dirty laundry about their corps experiences and I may retract what I said.

What would you say if a corps announced they were having a cymbal line and then it turned out to 30 secs of "guard-on-cymbals"?

Would that also be a lie?

You can't have it both ways.

I would felt dissapointed but would not be calling out "lie" honestly I would have liked to have known about it.

I was told that they wouldn't be fielding cymbals and then in a way they are that's how I feel lied to and betrayed.

Sorry, I just don't see it. I'm with you on everything else, but here I think you're just going overboard.

Consider this - the people who are sympathizing about the lying and betrayal aspect of this are not Scouts, and the people who are Scouts are not sympathizing, at least not about that.

Anyway, good luck with next year's auditions. Say hi to Jeff for me if you make it.

I still support cymbals in drum corps.

So a tympani player is cut because they aren't going to have tympani in the pit anymore. But in the next season's show there is a single tympani drum next to a marimba which is played a couple of times by that marimba player, was the tympani player lied to?

You're grasping at straws...

Yes, he sure was. There is a person in the pit playing tympani, ergo the statement that they weren't going to have tympani in the pit was a lie.

Our OP was told that there wasn't going to be a cymbal line for 2010. Now the 2010 show is here and there are cymbals marching on the field.

Consider this - the people who are sympathizing about the lying and betrayal aspect of this are not Scouts, and the people who are Scouts are not sympathizing, at least not about that.

Ironic for a corps that thumps it's chest about "brotherhood", no?