Madison Scouts 2010 Cymbal Discussion

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea... and old people do this as well.

remember the Crown alternate thread?

Yes old people do also But its sad when you see no social skills amoung MANY. I have watched kids texting to other kids in the same bus. Crazy

I guess I still dont get WHY people in general Post their moods and inner feelings on line...Like WHO CARES?..lol

I just think this was a matter that could have been handled within the Scouts, but I do understand his frustration.

I continue to read variations to this response about how this could have/should have been handled within the Scouts. But it wasn't - at least not to his satisfaction - nor can it be, since he is no longer a member.

I get that the Scouts don't like the criticism and they don't want to air their laundry in public, but really "public" is where this guy is now affiliated, as he's not a member of a corps.

I don't know what other options this young man might have had. Great cymbal players have very limited options: most take their "craft" seriously and that does not always translate into having the chops/desire to play another percussion instrument. There are, as has been discussed here, very few corps maching cymbals, further limiting their options. It really is a very different predicament than a sop player or guard member being cut or having their "section" eliminated.

As a drum corps fan, I think the Scouts missed a great opportunity to utilize the skill of the very best cymbal arranger I've ever heard, Thom Hannum. From a visual perspective, I think the line could have also brought some needed GE to this year's show.

I just feel bad for any kid who wants to march, has shown he/she has the dedication and chops to march, but can't march...for whatever the reason. I'm sure this Summer is going to be both frustrating and sad for this guy, and I hope at some point he has the chance either in this activity or another to once again participate in something he loves.

yea... and old people do this as well.

remember the Crown alternate thread?

Heh, "old" people. You're 30, YOU'RE OLD! :tongue:

I continue to read variations to this response about how this could have/should have been handled within the Scouts. But it wasn't - at least not to his satisfaction - nor can it be, since he is no longer a member.

I get that the Scouts don't like the criticism and they don't want to air their laundry in public, but really "public" is where this guy is now affiliated, as he's not a member of a corps.

I don't know what other options this young man might have had. Great cymbal players have very limited options: most take their "craft" seriously and that does not always translate into having the chops/desire to play another percussion instrument. There are, as has been discussed here, very few corps maching cymbals, further limiting their options. It really is a very different predicament than a sop player or guard member being cut or having their "section" eliminated.

As a drum corps fan, I think the Scouts missed a great opportunity to utilize the skill of the very best cymbal arranger I've ever heard, Thom Hannum. From a visual perspective, I think the line could have also brought some needed GE to this year's show.

I just feel bad for any kid who wants to march, has shown he/she has the dedication and chops to march, but can't march...for whatever the reason. I'm sure this Summer is going to be both frustrating and sad for this guy, and I hope at some point he has the chance either in this activity or another to once again participate in something he loves.

I would have been happy to see a plate line and 4 or 5 less Contras. Would have been a better mix in my opinion. I feel bad for this former Scout but I think it's time to suck it up and go march elsewhere. If he had the chops to make the Scouts' plate line he could have marched anywhere, because they were the best.

in 2010 Madison's guard delivers a huge "world class level" guard moment where 28 men do highly advanced rifle work and 6 men were written out of... The 29 rifles on the field are amazing and by design 6 members were placed on a STOMP type of pure visual, cymbal line. They are props, they dance and perform for the colorguard judges sheets. and NOT for the percussion judge... <---that does not mean you were lied to.

I got the e mail where the staff stated there would be no cymbal line, but the members were welcome to remain in the corps in what ever aspect the could absorb them into... and were not asked to leave... every position from lead trumpet, pit, snare and guard was also open for qualified men. Also, if the four didn't meet the standards of a section, they were still higher on the list to remain in the corps over a VET who was cut from any given horn drum or guard position.

seems more then fair.

If Cymbals are the drive and not the drum corps... where can a cymbal player march?

SCV

Academy

Crossmen

who else in 2010 ? I'd like to see the list of world class drum corps just out of curiosity?

I myself was eliminated from a drum corps when the male guard members were not going to be used the following season...

Edited by Cop

I get that the Scouts don't like the criticism and they don't want to air their laundry in public

Who does?

If people want to criticize scouts for cutting their symbol line, that's fine with me.

If people want to criticize the way the corps handled these 4 members, then they need to get the full story. As the facts have come trickling out, it seems that the corps did indeed bend over backwards to find a way for these guys to march. So this is looking to me like sheer petulance on the part of the cymbal players. How can you claim to have been "betrayed" when you turned down a spot in the corps?

*puts on fireproof shield* There we go. :tongue:

To the OP:

I can understand your anger and hurt feelings. As a cymbal player (and instructor) myself, your line becomes like your second family. Whatever the reasons being, Madison has cut their cymbal line. While I don't agree with that move, it is unfortunately the name of the game in DCI nowadays. Cymbals are seen as expendable for more horn or guard members. It's sad, and in my opinion, counterproductive to the mission and aim of drum corps, but it is what it is.

However, coming onto a public forum and voicing your displeasure, and attacking the Scouts organization not only is disrespectful to your "brothers", it paints a negative and bitter picture of our community of cymbal players as a whole. Cymbal lines are a dying art, but there are still opportunities for you to practice your skill.

I was originally planning on trying out for Pioneer's cymbal line this year, and a member of last year's cymbal line came to try out for the drumline, and never even took a look at the cymbal line. I do not know if it was you, and it does not matter. I still believe they have a cymbal hole though. If cymbal playing is in your blood, as soon as your high school season is done, get into contact with Jen Tarka and march. The fact that the Scouts offered to allow you to find another spot in the corps is very gracious of them. And if you think that might be difficult for you, right now I am learning how to play a tuba with Minnesota Brass. It isn't as demeaning or hard as you may think.

What is posting all this stuff about how you were screwed over because of a 30 second guard feature going to do? All it does is paint a negative picture of yourself, the Scouts organization, and members of "dead" cymbal lines everywhere. Do something to change your situation. If you can't, don't complain because nothing can be done.

in 2010 Madison's guard delivers a huge "world class level" guard moment where 29 men do highly advanced rifle work and 6 men were written out of... The 29 rifles on the field are amazing and by design 6 members were placed on a STOMP type of pure visual, cymbal line. They are props, they dance and perform for the colorguard judges sheets. and NOT for the percussion judge... <---that does not mean you were lied to.

I got the e mail where the staff stated there would be no cymbal line, but the members were welcome to remain in the corps in what ever aspect the could absorb them into... and were not asked to leave... every position from lead trumpet, pit, snare and guard was also open for qualified men. Also, if the four didn't meet the standards of a section, they were still higher on the list to remain in the corps over a VET who was cut from any given horn drum or guard position.

seems more then fare.

If Cymbals are the drive and not the drum corps... where can a cymbal player march?

SCV

Academy

Crossmen

who else in 2010 ? I'd like to see the list of world class drum corps just out of curiosity?

I myself was eliminated from a drum corps when the male guard members were not going to be used the following season...

That also happened to the male rifle line from SCV in '88. They decided to go all female guard in '89. For any of the guys who wanted to come back in '89, were not allowed to, and then they ended up winning. Ouch!

in 2010 Madison's guard delivers a huge "world class level" guard moment where 29 men do highly advanced rifle work and 6 men were written out of... The 29 rifles on the field are amazing and by design 6 members were placed on a STOMP type of pure visual, cymbal line. They are props, they dance and perform for the colorguard judges sheets. and NOT for the percussion judge... <---that does not mean you were lied to.

seems more then fare.

SCV

Academy

Crossmen

Pioneer

Jersey Surf

Teal Sound

Colts

Cascades

Pacific Crest

Spirit

At least two of those corps had openings as of a few weeks ago that I knew of.