DCPI

So let me step out of my "fantasy" persona and step into the real me for a sec.

I'm concerned over one thing the past few seasons, even the ones I didn't participate in but did follow: The lack of involvement. I'm well aware that caption changes take some time for certain directors and some of us have careers that don't give us much time. However, this league is what WE (the directors) make of it. Some of us make our corps have a "real life" feel, while others (like myself) take the term "fantasy" and run away with it. All are fine but I'm finding the seasons to become a snooze without our involvement.

I'm not asking for everyone to make a webpage, design uniforms or arrange their show. What I'm making this plea for is to get members active on this board and the DCPI webpage. JohnD, Jeff and Matt have put countless hours making this league better and have kept it afloat and despite some... err... many disagreements I've had with a couple of them in the past, I feel that they have a thankless job.

We have resources that can make a "fun and interactive" experience much more possible for us members. A modern website that JohnD took a step out on to create. John and Jeff have worked out the bugs in the scoring system that was a headache in the early seasons on this league. Matt provides realism with the daily updates and creates a fantastic schedule. This forum has thousands of visits a day, we all come to it. We might read the different forums but we all don't participate on this one.

My mission for this season is not to win a trophy (shock!!!). My mission is to get things humming and busy, to see this league expand and to see over 100 Div I corps by the next live season... It can and has been done, ran by one man with chat based off an email reflector. That league will have your inbox flooded daily with emails too. We wont have inboxes full but we can have this board jumping if we all do one thing.... Write something and get active.

When you get your scores, write something on the boards . Find yourself a rival corps like I did with Matt and Kosmos. Do something to get people in this league to write and get involved. Take a step out and make your corps truly "fantasy" or achieve a level of realism that your corps can get invited to a major parade (yes... It has happened).You will find your fantasy experience much more worthwhile. A few minutes every couple days and not just you but the whole league will be having a blast.

-Hype

Edited by CloudHype

Here here!! Nice thread. Agreed. We make it what it is. I know all about being busy but I enjoy coming here and being active, helping other directors be it graphics help, etc. Can't say enough about the job Jeff and John D do too.

Thirded! Highly appreciative of all the work that goes into making this league a bi-annual success.

I put a reasonable amount of effort into my (and others') shows each season. Feel free to visit my corps' page (click the graphic in my sig); also, the Glory of Polaris thread a few days back has music source links.

Sorry, I don't have time to respond to this thread right now, I'm too busy trying to find ways to beat you all on the field.

I sincerely do appreciate the amount of effort that has gone into wonderous adventure, I am having a blast with it.

Thanks to all of you.

Now, I'm still a couple points behind y'all, so I've some work yet to do... :sleeping:

• 4 weeks later...

I pledge to bring at least three newcomers along when I bring my circus back to town for Season XV. :P

I pledge to bring at least three newcomers along when I bring my circus back to town for Season XV. :P

Fantastic! I saw Confederate Regiment is also already gearing up for XV :satisfied:

I've had a blast - and excited for XV too - with my newly formed Central Wisconsin Arena Performing Arts (C.W.A.P.A.) "Hey Mom! I'm in the CWAPA!!", I'll be bringing back the Crimson Lions and introducing the Oostburg Barnstormers and the brand new Lake Poygan Privateers.

I know the off-season is done a little bit different than live, but I'm still gonna see what sort of damage we can do. I've got the Land, Air and Sea covered! :blink:

Back to work for me now - I've still some pelts out there to collect!

I agree completely! I have to say this has been the WORST season for me as far as involvement because work has been INSANE! For those of you who dont know me that well-I am a collections manager at a bank, specifically mortgages--enough said about that! HOWEVER I have tried to keep my engagement still as strong as I can. There has been no time for DCPI Times which honestly bumbs me out, but I have worked to keep CLASS ACT going, made sure CLASS gets some love, keep the Knigth Sword debate and rivalry rotating as well as a few other directors I knwo that do the same. My point is, I know my life is SWAMPED right now--but its important to take some time relax for a few minutes and get your mind on something else! What better than drum corps and my ever fierce fanatsy corps! NOTHING!!!

I agree. Part of the reason I started the Org. Rankings and State Champions, to give people something to talk about. Even if your not in the hunt for a finalist spot you may be gearing up for a state championship.

The more "side bar" stuff (Knights Sword) out there, the more interesting it is.

For my own enjoyment, I keep all kinds of stats on a spread sheet that date back to season 1. I've seen the league grow along with 3 other season 1 directors that are still around, and although my love for the off season is waining (we've got to do something). I love this thing we call fantasy corps.