Barnum Festival

Hy everybody,

Some of you guy's asking what hapen to the Dips at Bridgeport, CT.

The Dips members are comming from all different city, Montreal, Quebec, Trois-Rivieres, etc. some of them

drive 5 1/2 hrs before guetting to US border, then they drive another 6 to 8 hrs to reach Bridgeport comming from different US border.

At one US border, 24 members in 6 cars pooling was stop at Stanstead, Vermont. The border officer whant to know what was the reason driving to Bridgeport only for 3 day's. We are going to Barnum Festival, we say.

Then he investigated and found out that we are part of the show and think that we are comming performing like a Music Band and the musicien of the the Dips will get paid so we where acuse to try to come working illegaly without a working permit. We are a drum corps, a non profit organisation, not a circus or a Rock Band we said.

At that moment they stop everbody and proceed to finger print, picture and all the rest. It took 4 hrs to fill up document to stop acces to the US for 48 hrs (needless to say no show and no parade). The same treatment will occure if other members of the Dips will show up.

We have no choice to stop the bus before getting to the border. The other members that already pass through from other border and arrive to Holiday's In in Bridegport un aware of what was happening.

The Barnum Festival try to fix everything, even call the state governor and the US Embassy but it was to late (friday afternoon)

We sadly cancelled our participation to this event since we start missing important members and volunteers.

The members that was already at Bridgeport decided to stay, have diner in nice restaurent, assist to practice of different drum corps at Sea Side Park and Kennedy Stadium, watch the show at night and party with our friend Park City Pride.

On behalf of the Diplomates that was present in Bridgeport, I whant to thank the organisation and volunteers of Park City Pride that work hard all year round to organised our visit and all the members for they support and friendship between our two corps, you did everything to accomodate us.

Everybody was outraged of this disappointed situation, the Barnum Festival organisation, the mayor, Park City Pride and drum corps fan present at the show and all of us, but what can we do at that moment? sit and cry? No way we are stronger than that!

BIG HUG TO EVERYBODY!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no excuse for the Canadian or US border agents to treat folks this way........ maybe you guys should have rented a big boat and steamed down our coast to our SOUTHERN border......... then just walk in and take a 2-day bus ride.

Talk about punishing good deeds!

Joe in NJ

Well my friend's.

It's gonna be hard to all American fellow to see a canadian drum corps comming through the US.

Junior, Senior, Alumni name it!

All entertaintment/competive group what so ever (including drum corps) need a P-1 Visa according to the law of US.

Look what they asking:

Entertainment Groups

The entertainment group must be coming to the U.S. to participate in entertainment events, and must have achieved international recognition for a substantial and sustained period. Individuals offering assistance and support to the entertainment group may also use this category.

Entertainment Groups

Your group's achievements must be recognized internationally, and the group must be coming to the U.S. to perform services that require such recognition

1. You must provide evidence of a legal contract with a U.S. employer or agent, and prove that:

a. The proposed services in the U.S. require an internationally recognized entertainment group

b. Seventy-five per cent of your group members have had a sustained and substantial relationship with the group for at least one year and provide functions integral to the group's performance

c. Your group received significant international awards or prizes, or nominations for its outstanding achievements

2. In addition to the above requirements, your group must offer proof of at least three of the following:

a. Your group has performed, or will be performing, as a starring or leading entertainment group in events with distinguished reputation

b. Your group has received international recognition and acclaim for outstanding achievements

c. Your group has performed and will be performing services as a leading or starring group for organizations or establishments with a distinguished reputation

d. Your group has had major commercial or critically acclaimed successes

e. Your group is highly recognized, for its achievements, by organizations, critics, government agencies, or other recognized experts

f. Your group has commanded or will command a high salary or other substantial remuneration comparable to others similarly situated

3. Artists and Entertainment Groups must submit at least two of the following documents:

a. Records of the group's participation in internationally reputed events

b. Record of group's international recognition as shown by reviews in papers, trade journals, etc.

c. Recognition of group's achievements by leaders in the field

d. Record of group's commercial success

e. Records which show that the group commands a significantly high salary compared to others in the field

Artists and Entertainers

You may be issued the P1 valid for the period necessary to perform the event not exceeding one year. An entertainment event could include an entire season of performances. The USCIS may grant further extensions of stay in one-year increments with a total stay on P1 artist visa not exceeding ten years.

Spouses and Children

Spouses and/or children under the age of 21 who wish to accompany or join you in the U.S. for the duration of your stay can apply for P-4 visas

Ronald,

My original statement about our detouring in through our southern border still stands............ this is a disgrace.

But a bit of advice if you follow my advice and take a boat to our southern border....when you rent a bus to come "north," pile all your baggage and instrument carriers on top of the bus and no one will even question you. P1? P4? This whole situation is more like PU........

Edited by JoeDz

I don't believe Grenadiers will have an issue. The years I marched we rarely had any trouble getting through customs. Before 9/11 it was a breeze. Post 9/11 they wanted to see every corps member's ID and sometimes, depending on alert status, look through all our luggage. There was only one occasion I can remember customs not letting 1 member through. Don't know why, don't care to know why, but they wouldn't let him through.

I even remember it being the same handful of customs officers every single weekend we crossed the border. I'm sure they already have all the particulars on file pertaining to Grenadiers.

Here's hoping they don't have any problems. It can be so frustrating on everyone if one small detail causes your entire weekend to go down the crapshoot.

Edited by PureRockFury

Sounds to me like somebody st the Border offices was having a slow day and wanted to liven things up. There is no excuse for them being jerks, but it was what it was. Last year when we were in Rah-cha-cha, we took a side trip to Niagara Falls for the day. We had a real ####### to deal with (Canadian border patrol) on the way INTO Canada, at Rainbow Bridge. It wasn't just us, either...the car in front of us, with one person AND Canadian plates on it to boot, also appeared to get everything short of a body cavity search.

It is interesting that this is even an issue...there have been corps in Canada coming to the U.S. for years-just in recent memory, Dutch Boy (now OC, but there used to be a Div I Dutch Boy as well), L'Insolite, Les Etoiles, Acadamie Musicale, Les Metropolitains, Les Stentors, and of course the Grennies and Les Dips. And I know I am missing a bunch, no disrespect intended.

There used to be a DCI Div II/III corps several years ago from Taiwan, and they appeared at a show in Canada and, along with quite a few U.S. corps, headed to Manchester, NH for their next performance. I remember the kids from Taiwan having to perform in shorts and t-shirts, as their uniforms had gotten held up by Customs at the U.S./Canadian border.

Here's hoping that I get to see the Dips later in the season!

Haven't had to cross the border post-9/11 but fingerprinting and the rest seems odd for the 48 hour stay. Unless something might have been going on that the border agents had to be extra careful. (Work at a Navy base, sometimes the guards are more observant for unknown reasons.) Wonder if going thru a smaller entry point made a difference.

Or someone was having a bad day... had problems at Niagara Falls in the 80s getting back into the US but that was a guard being PO'ed about the clowns in the car in front of us. Long story short, his supervisor ended up apologizing to us.

Maybe someone who works with getting corps across the border can start a thread on what is needed to make this as painless as possible.

<snip>

Maybe someone who works with getting corps across the border can start a thread on what is needed to make this as painless as possible.

Now that SHOULD be the solution.......... but don't bet on it. And isn't there a UK DCA corps competing? Of course, different situation with a more controlled entry....

Maybe find out how the Al Quaida Sound gets in........... and without instruments!

that certainly sucked, folks. But once you declared yourselves as traveling into the US for something other than a personal reasons - visit or vacation - you fell under the P-visa provisions.

we live in far different times than 'back in the good old days'. I hope some inroads were made with the proper authorities to ensure you don't get held up again.

Gotta ask - was this possibility investigated in advance?