Percussion Scores shakeup in NJ

Well, we all knew it would happen at some point. PR is no longer undefeated in Percussion! This proves again that the first week of tour didn't prove anything as far as scores go. Should be an interesting rest of the summer...

http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?e...72-16bbefeb6fc6

1. Bluecoats 16.30

2. Phantom Regiment 16.10

3. Carolina Crown 15.60

4. Boston Crusaders 15.10

5. Spirit 14.30

6. Crossmen 13.80

7. Jersey Surf 13.10

It's just to early in the season to tell anything yet , I've seen Blooooo and Phantom in Toledo and both percussion sections

were reasonably tight for this early they both have some to go to perfect their indivdual programs and thats understandable so don't be to quick to judge just yet I'd say after SanAntonio then everyone with an acute sense of percussive knowledge and music will be able to hone on what might happen at finals . You notice I said might ! :sad:

I was at the show (and I've been involved in drum corps percussion for 35 years)......the call was accurate........Crown did not have a stellar run.........Phantom and Bluecoats were tighter in percussion.....I had it Phantom, Bluecoats, Crown..........the judge had it close but flipped........I think all 3 have excellent books, but I believe Phantom has the toughest overall of the 3......I could see any of those llines beating each other depending on how they perform on any given night, which is the way that it should be............I thought the overall judging was fairly accurate as well. I do believe Phantom has the most substance (and thus potential) in their show of the competitors here, but they are struggling with performance levels at times, especially visually. If they can iron that out, look out.

GB

I concer Bob your 100% correct sir ! I read your comment's after I posted mine . :sad:

Is there anyone here who marched percussion that can tell us the importance of a "center snare"? It just seems like if they have a name for the position, it carries a certain amount of importance and when she's not there, it could affect the rest of the line.

Just curious.

randy

May I add: Although the center snare (and persons to right and left) are usually the most experienced and consistent players, you can't look and a line and say the skill level receeds in any way towards the ends. Often a line will book-end a less experienced player with stronger ones, that often means there is a strong player on the end of the line.

Look and balance also come into play, even though playing style is consistent (hopefully) between the members, sometimes the member order is played with in early camps to get "the look". Some kids just looked better playing next to eachother. Think of a right hand stroke that has a bit of a left slice...and another with a bit of a right slice....the difference in those two will be exacerbated if you stand them next to eachother. Just an example.

Also, back in the day when we did a lot of guiding and dressing, we had strong marchers on the ends. When I marched we had a very talented snare that spent his whole career on the end of the snare line and went on to be a great drumline marching tech.

As for missing any drummer for a show or two, that throws marching and playing off a bit. It's just a different situation as you have been playing as a line for months now and the person that is supposed to be standing next you is gone.

So Crown's center snare is female? That is cool and rare!

Bluecoats program is a great showcase for what sounds like one of their best drumlines in years. Love to see them take the drum title this year.