Battles, Rivalries, Showdowns, and Situations !

Oh ########....what about their other TWELVE victories....you know, the ones in Philly, Denver, Birmingham, Birmingham again, Montreal, Madison, Boston, Orlando, Orlando again, Madison again, Orlando again, and Indy??? How may of those were in California...NONE. How many of those were even within 1000 miles of California....NONE (Denver is the closest, but is still a touch over 1000 miles away)

And shall we examine the other winners??

Kingmen...Whitewater

Santa Clara...Whitewater, Ithica, Denver, Montreal, Kansas City, Madison,

Madison...Philly, Kansas City

Cadets...Miami, Atlanta, Madison, Madison again, Orchard Park, Jackson, Boston,

Star...Dallas

Cavies...Madison, Orchard Park, Orlando, College Park, Orchard Park again, Madison again, Denver, Madison again

Regiment...Orlando, Bloomington

Fixed it for you

Oh ########....what about their other TWELVE victories....you know, the ones in Philly, Denver, Birmingham, Birmingham again, Montreal, Madison, Boston, Orlando, Orlando again, Madison again, Orlando again, and Indy??? How may of those were in California...NONE. How many of those were even within 1000 miles of California....NONE (Denver is the closest, but is still a touch over 1000 miles away)

And shall we examine the other winners??

Kingmen...Whitewater

Santa Clara...Whitewater, Ithica, Denver, Montreal, Kansas City, Madison,

Madison...Philly, Kansas City

Cadets...Miami, Atlanta, Madison, Madison again, Orchard Park, Jackson, Boston,

Star...Dallas

Cavies...Madison, Orchard Park, Orlando, College Park, Orchard Park again, Madison again, Denver, Madison again

Regiment...Bloomington

Of those, how many of the victors were the closest to home? Whitewater for Kmen (2014 driving miles), Denver for SCV (1302 miles), KC for Madison (489 miles), Orchard Park for Cadets (361 from Allentown, 397 from Hackensack, 400 from Bergenfield, 395 from Garfield....I don't remember where they were from in 1990)....the average is 388 miles), Madison for Cavies (131 miles), Bloomington for Regiment (310 miles)

If anything, that old, tired, ######## "only won because they were at home" argument can only be applied to Cavies in 92, 02, and 06...but I don't buy that argument...never have.

Please don't insult or denigrate BD or any other corps if they happen to win close to home....even in BD's case, Pasadena is 372 miles from home...farther then Regiment and on a par with Cadets.

Sorry to upset you. I'll state my opinions about every group EXCEPT yours next time!

Fixed it for you

I;m not quite awake yet.....what did I get wrong?

Room....I just get VERY VERY VERY tired of people saying BD ONLY won 07 because they were in their home state...it gets very tiresome to have the previous 11 titles ignored, especially when the corps' competitive success is NOT some home-town fluke, but a consistency across the board that any competitivfe organization would almost kill for.

I;m not quite awake yet.....what did I get wrong?

Room....I just get VERY VERY VERY tired of people saying BD ONLY won 07 because they were in their home state...it gets very tiresome to have the previous 11 titles ignored, especially when the corps' competitive success is NOT some home-town fluke, but a consistency across the board that any competitivfe organization would almost kill for.

Re-read my post. I never said they ONLY won because they were in their home state.

The main reason why they won was because, in my opinion, the physical demand was in no way equal to the second place performance. Also add the fact that the crowd would have murdered the judges had narration won a DCI Championship.

The same thing happened in 2003, in Orlando--about as far from California as you can get!

Finals being in Pasadena was just another reason to add to the list.

For what it's worth, I think the Blue Devils should have walked away with the title in 2008. Yet, once again, the championship show had less physical demand (the jazz run at the end of Phantom 2008 is a joke!). I wonder what would have happened had Finals 2008 been in Pasadena!

Also, shosta added Regiment's '96 championship to the list.

Edited by Room_101

Re-read my post. I never said they ONLY won because they were in their home state.

"As for 2007, had a)The Cadets not had narration, or b)Finals not been in California, the Blue Devils would not have won that year"

You were saying?

For what it's worth, I think the Blue Devils should have walked away with the title in 2008. Yet, once again, the championship show had less physical demand (the jazz run at the end of Phantom 2008 is a joke!). I wonder what would have happened had Finals 2008 been in Pasadena!

Honestly? Even being a BD alum, I would've been just as happy for Regiment as I was in reality....I just would've been able to die happy, since I would've BEEN there!

"As for 2007, had a)The Cadets not had narration, or b)Finals not been in California, the Blue Devils would not have won that year"

You were saying?

Honestly? Even being a BD alum, I would've been just as happy for Regiment as I was in reality....I just would've been able to die happy, since I would've BEEN there!

Here is your earlier quote: "people saying BD ONLY won 07 because..." You specifically put "ONLY" in all capital letters! As you can CLEARLY see, I did not say they won ONLY because they were in California. There are three total reasons in my original post: 1)my opinion of a lack of physical demand, 2)Cadets narration, 3)Pasadena. I don't understand your confusion.

And I realize I'm in the minority, but I still just don't get the Spartacus hype. Decent (not great) design with less than decent execution does not merit a championship to me. The flaws that people were so quick to point out in The Red Violin are all throughout Spartacus! Less than stellar staging, amorphous blob drill that means nothing, unreadable designs, visual execution that is in NO way comparable to the rest of the top 5, etc, etc. Great drumline, great emotion...but not championship caliber. Just my opinion, of course.

Edit: I feel like I'm coming across as someone who just bashes every championship show. Sorry if I come across that way!

Edited by Room_101

Here is your earlier quote: "people saying BD ONLY won 07 because..." You specifically put "ONLY" in all capital letters! As you can CLEARLY see, I did not say they won ONLY because they were in California. There are three total reasons in my original post: 1)my opinion of a lack of physical demand, 2)Cadets narration, 3)Pasadena. I don't understand your confusion.

And I realize I'm in the minority, but I still just don't get the Spartacus hype. Decent (not great) design with less than decent execution does not merit a championship to me. The flaws that people were so quick to point out in The Red Violin are all throughout Spartacus! Less than stellar staging, amorphous blob drill that means nothing, unreadable designs, visual execution that is in NO way comparable to the rest of the top 5, etc, etc. Great drumline, great emotion...but not championship caliber. Just my opinion, of course.

Edit: I feel like I'm coming across as someone who just bashes every championship show. Sorry if I come across that way!

1) I doubt that the judges took your opinion of a lack of physical demand into account.

2) Same for Cadets

3) Are you seriously saying that 375 miles makes for a real difference in "Home" corp advantage. SCV was there, and BD should never be able to win outside of CA unless they were lucky or vastly superior. I disagree, and I bet that most people that think things through would disagree as well.

Actually you come across as a someone that complains about everything. I did not think that the Spartacus show was as well done as others, but it was clearly the most visually entertaining. Lurid, sexy, violent... etc... In fact, if that show were to be a movie trailer, and more representative of drum corp, we likely would appeal to a much larger audience. I have the DVD from that year, and have shown the show to a lot (100s) of people that all have made a comment like that. On the other hand, maybe I am wrong about the "home" advantage and that is why Regiment won. After all, that is at least 100 miles closer to their home than Pasadena is to BD.

For BD, you come across as just not liking the corp and most of the BD fans realize that this forum contains a lot of non-BD friendly people. It is the nature of fans, and understandable.

The main reason why they won was because, in my opinion, the physical demand was in no way equal to the second place performance. Also add the fact that the crowd would have murdered the judges had narration won a DCI Championship.

The same thing happened in 2003, in Orlando--about as far from California as you can get!

Finals being in Pasadena was just another reason to add to the list.

Also, shosta added Regiment's '96 championship to the list.

This is crazy, bordering on folly and totally off topic...take it somewhere else.

G

This is crazy, bordering on folly and totally off topic...take it somewhere else.

G

I disagree - Battle, Rivalry, Showdown:

Room_101 vs 84BDsop

:thumbup: