Oswego We Go

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if they were all at the same show would a say that this would be good, so maybe all Louisville.

It's really hard to compare shows from different places, because the judges change from venue show to show. And even though they are all trained together each will give or not give points for different things and events within a show based on what they individually see and here. The time that the score will really matter is at the first full regional when everyone is there.

Yeah... there were quite a good portion at dubuque last night... and you can see not much change in the margin with those.

Obviously different judges and such play a factor as well.... at the end of the day just playing with numbers. But margins, imho, are a better indicator than saying 'omg, cavaliers matched cadets scores from last night, they must be just as good now'

Edited by AlexL

Gotta love the July bump. This is where we start to see that the actual numbers behind drum corps scores make no sense.

Also, comparing scores from different shows is probably the dumbest thing drum corps fans do. Look at spreads and subcaptions at the same show, not those at different venues.

Yeah, it appears to suck right now being the Troopers and BK who have been dealt an interesting hand with that nice little tour through the Pacific NW. :thumbup:

i didnt get my nap today :thumbup:

It's cool, me neither. It seems like the place where i work attracts people with no common sense, so i know how you feel.

It's cool, me neither. It seems like the place where i work attracts people with no common sense, so i know how you feel.

summer practices started at the school i teach and i live an hour away and they start at 9 and those late nights on here...

However, comparing average scores of thus season thus far, Cavies are still far behind.

Cavies: 75.267

PR: 76.267

BAC: 76.533

Cadets: 76.563

SCV: 76.633

Carolina Frown: 76.900

BC: 77.683

BD: 78.733

Definitely a higher scored show overall from previously.

Cavaliers +2.4 from Dubuque (6\30)

Colts + 2.3 from Dubuque (6\30)

Pio + 1.8 from Dubuque (6\30)

This definitely illustrates why you cant compare show-to-show. When all corps go up by similar, large amounts, its an indicator of scores just being set higher at that particular show, and not much as far as bearing relating to other corps that didnt perform that night.

This is why I think my "Spread Rankings" do a slightly better job at comparing show to show..... if all corps go up the exact same amount, then really no one moves at all.

Definitely a higher scored show overall from previously.

Cavaliers +2.4 from Dubuque (6\30)

Colts + 2.3 from Dubuque (6\30)

Pio + 1.8 from Dubuque (6\30)

This definitely illustrates why you cant compare show-to-show. When all corps go up by similar, large amounts, its an indicator of scores just being set higher at that particular show, and not much as far as bearing relating to other corps that didnt perform that night.

What a 'score "represents is the level of separation between the Corps in competition on that given nite and among that judging panel... no more... no less. The spread is informative to some degree. But whether a Corps got a " 72" or an " 82", really doesn't mean all that much. It's just a higher or lower baseline create for that nite. And trying to subscribe a score to what a Corps NOT in competition tonite would have received is unwarranted. Especially given the fact that their score was from some previous nite, with another panel and with a mix of corps that collectively may have been better or worse than this particular mix of Corps.

That said, nice jump for all these Corps.... and Glassmen especially, as they seperated themselves a bit from the competition and closed the gap on the Cavaliers from the last outing. ( but this could all change when we get the full panels, keep in mind)

Edited by BRASSO

The only way to really look at the scores is in the changes in previous margins. Here's the margins compared to the current leader at this show, and the most recent margin to this corps (cavaliers)

The Cavaliers 80.800

Glassmen -4.8 (-7.2, Madison WI, 6\26) Reduction in margin= 2.4

Madison Scouts -5.1 (-6.8, Stillwater, MN, 6\27, -5.7 in Madison, WI 6\26) Reduction in margin= 1.7

Colts -8.7 (-8.6 in Dubuque, 6\30) Increase in margin = .1

Teal Sound -12.8 (-12.2, Louisville, KY, 6\22) Increase in margin = .6

Pioneer -14.1 (-14.0 in Dubuque, 6\30) Increase in margin = .1

My Spread Rankings basically are just a fully fleshed out version of this. :thumbup: