Southern Tour...if you wanna call it that.

I gotta hop on tour and consult with a corps in San Antonio on the 24th, and travel through all that hot mess. I get off in Atlanta, Georgia on the 31st, then get to go spend a week in the White Mountains of NH. After the "Roach Tour", I'll need to pack a parka just to get around in 65 degree weather! Woo-hoo!

I remember getting chased by a gator in 91 in Florida as we were tracking along some service road...freaky!

The south...where houses are on wheels and cars are on blocks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no shows in Florida, cause the shows usually get rained out.

It's not the heat that keeps corps' away, it's the rain. I did 3 of my 5 move-ins in the state of Florida, and it realyl wasn't all that bad. You get used to the heat/humidity.

It's a shame there's nothing at Tropicana Field in St. Pete where the Rays play. FMBC deems it appropriate for States.

There is a difference between North Carolina and Atlanta-hot compared to Arkansas and Florida hot. It's usually the major difference in humidity. 93 southern tour was unpleasant.

Tour in the south was generally miserable - bugs, heat, weather, brownish water......ugh.

Good times........good times. :tongue:

I don't know that the south has the lock on heat. Anyone been to central CA in July? the year that finals were in Pasadena, my son was marching Bluecoats, the temp at their housing site when they were in the Clovis area was about 115 degrees. Yeah its drier but 115 is still HOT. AND the area they were in wouldn't know what a tree was if it snuck up and bit them in the a** :tongue:

Just part of the drum corps experience!

I marched with Vanguard... its not as hot in CA as it is in the south. California is a paradise. What you experienced was an anomally for that area.

I remember doing the "Dirty South" tour and hating it.

Yes the "north" (midwest) is hot, but usually the humidity is bearable. The humidity in the south was just horrible. I dont think thats the reason why there are fewer shows there now though. There are fewer shows in the midwest and on the east coast too (my hometown used to have 2 drum corps shows) than there were even 10 years ago.

The only area that I think that might have more shows is the west coast, but of course they have more corps forming too. :tongue:

I remember a few years back when DCI had a show in Troy, AL. The Blue Devils came and did their clinic thing, where they do Q & A, and it was a pretty good turnout considering it was the first show like that. Now, they no longer have a show in Troy...which isn't that big of a deal I don't guess. This summer what I like to call the "Southern Tour" goes from July 25th-July31st. I also went to Ft. Walton Beach last year for a show, now they've removed that one, and replaced it with Milton, FL. I just find it somewhat weird that out of an 8 week tour, they only spend 6-7 days in the deep south. I know there aren't many corps down here, but if they had more shows, they might get more interest.

It all boils down to $$$, and I realize that. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way...

Northeast, mid-Atlantic, and Midwest fans will say the same thing, believe me: shows have been slashed to a fraction of where they were years ago, except in those areas of the country that never had many shows to begin with. The deep South was later to the party, but has taken the hit, too. DCI is in survival mode now. "It's not personal... it's business."

There are many fewer corps than there used to be, scattered far and wide. And half the top corps only want to perform a few times per week and put more time into rehearsal. You do the math.

Edited by Peel Paint

Makes sense too. I must say, my house is not on wheels, and my water is not brown! I have clean water, and a stable house....I don't know where you people went with brown water and house on wheels, but it's not in Alabama. If it was, I wouldv'e already noticed...I live here! :tongue: