All Male Corps Question

corpsreps.com lists the St. Paul Scouts last year as 1978 and by checking the SPS website they certainly look all male in the 1978 photo.

And we can't forget my first corps the Eau Claire Boys from 1959 to 1969 before going coed and changing their name to he Sundowners.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe HNC/Garfield may have been all-male before, but I don't remember when they went to co-ed.

Need to go back to the history books. :thumbdown:

The Cadets were all male, and I believe 1972 was the first year females were in....not 100% sure about the year, but I will check.......I also believe that even when they allowed females, it was guard only for awhile and some years passed before they allowed female horn players/drummers. Like others have stated, Outside of Madison and Cavies, Kilts were all male through the 1977 season.

GB

The Cadets were all male, and I believe 1972 was the first year females were in....not 100% sure about the year, but I will check.......I also believe that even when they allowed females, it was guard only for awhile and some years passed before they allowed female horn players/drummers.

Look two posts up! :thumbdown:

All Girls:

Arbella

Bellettes

Capitolaires

Colonades

Corvette

Durham Girls

Fire-ettes

Jeanettes

Les Chatelaine

Melodiers

Mello-Diers

Mountettes

Nee-Hi's

New Dawn

New Day

Patrolettes

Socialites

Stardusters

St. Ignacious

Ventures

All Male:

Most drum & bugle corps were for the most part all male pre 1960's or so, unless specifically designated "all girl" - but of course some were certainly male/female in there as well with the drum and horns being primarily all male and the guard being all female.

But for the most part, the only corps that were truly "all male" past say 1970 were:

Cavaliers

Madison Scouts

Kilts

Preston Scout House

Looks like the girls at one time certainly had the statistical advantage to have a powerhouse "all their own" had a few thing just gone a little differently in history. :thumbdown:

The Belleville Black Knights were all male thru the 72 season, adding the female color guard in 73 - horn line and drum line some time after 1975. Its a shame you forget the Top corps of the ones listed for that time period.

Braintree Braves?

St. Paul Scouts were all male, as were DeLaSalle Oaklands, Toronto Optimists, LaSalle Cadets from Ottawa, DesPlaines Vanguard, St. Lucys Cadets. Most eventually went co-ed.

Actually, St Lucy's had a girl guard into the mid 60's, but ended their life in 69 as an all-male corps. They went the other way some time around 65 or 66!

St. Paul Scouts were all male, as were DeLaSalle Oaklands, Toronto Optimists, LaSalle Cadets from Ottawa, DesPlaines Vanguard, St. Lucys Cadets. Most eventually went co-ed.

Mel Tierney/Skokie/Chicago/Des Plaines Vanguard always had females in the guard. Even when they were the Logan Square S.A.L., they had majorettes.

Edited by HornsUp

All Girls:

Arbella

Bellettes

Capitolaires

Colonades

Corvette

Durham Girls

Fire-ettes

Jeanettes

Les Chatelaine

Melodiers

Mello-Diers

Mountettes

Nee-Hi's

New Dawn

New Day

Patrolettes

Socialites

Stardusters

St. Ignacious

Ventures

Looks like the girls at one time certainly had the statistical advantage to have a powerhouse "all their own" had a few thing just gone a little differently in history. :thumbdown:

Not to mention maybe the most successful all-girl corps ever, the Audobon Bon Bons from NJ. Came in 2nd at the 57 AL Nats, by less than .4 to Holy Name.

I'm pretty sure La Salle Cadets went co-ed in 73. Can anyone confirm this?